Advice from The Real Jimmy McGill Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cdotson2

Silver

Re: Advice from The Real Jimmy McGill

Post by cdotson2 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:17 pm

JimmyMcGill wrote: Maybe if you actually read to the heart of my vulgarity then you'll see that I actually love the law. Just not for the reasons most idealists claim.
What was it you love about the law again?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat May 06, 2017 11:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I mean, since the "real" Jimmy McGill is an inveterate liar and con-artist... kudos to you for staying in character?
The real Jimmy McGill is likeable.

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Sat May 06, 2017 11:35 pm

My favorite part was the self-congratulatory tone for knowing who Learned Hand is.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:51 pm

EzraFitz wrote:My favorite part was the self-congratulatory tone for knowing who Learned Hand is.
And how woefully underdeveloped his jurisprudence on goat theft was.

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Sun May 07, 2017 2:19 am

dabigchina wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I mean, since the "real" Jimmy McGill is an inveterate liar and con-artist... kudos to you for staying in character?
The real Jimmy McGill is likeable.
The real Jimmy McGill also knows how to cheat properly. Dude cheats on two exams and gets two Cs, which basically means he failed but the professor felt bad. Lame even for a troll.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Mon May 08, 2017 1:05 pm

JimmyMcGill wrote: As you can tell, I was heading for lazy-town. No I didn't go to a top 50 law school (*gasp*) but neither did the majority of lawyers walking this green earth.
JimmyMcGill wrote:Shortly after beginning law school I realized that nobody had a clue what they were learning. They didn't know how procedure bullshit interacted with case bullshit or how statutory bullshit interacted with procedural bullshit. Not even the slightest clue. Yet we were expected to be tested on it in four months. Well this isn't a good start for anyone...or so it seems.
Some might wonder if these two things have something to do with each other...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 pm

EzraFitz wrote:My favorite part was the self-congratulatory tone for knowing who Learned Hand is.
I enjoyed that as well. The irony is that he rails against the bs of law school while sounding like the douchiest of know-it-all law students. There's nothing in OP's post to suggest that he has practiced law for any length of time.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon May 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
JimmyMcGill wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:I take the insult "suit" very personally

I'll have you know what I'm wearing can best be described as a sort of pelt
Well I think you're wearing it very well but I'll refrain from any further nomenclature that disrupts your tender emotional equilibrium. My friend wants to know what type of law you are want to practice? Thoughts?
I work plaintiff-side on Internet Law

We got a "Tortious Interference of a Forum" a-brewin' and I can smell the money already

:lol:

candidlatke

Bronze

Post by candidlatke » Mon May 08, 2017 3:03 pm

this guy is almost as great as the guy telling people that the secret to succeeding in law school was supplements and studying

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JimmyMcGill

New

Post by JimmyMcGill » Mon May 08, 2017 6:28 pm

rpupkin wrote:
I enjoyed that as well. The irony is that he rails against the bs of law school while sounding like the douchiest of know-it-all law students. There's nothing in OP's post to suggest that he has practiced law for any length of time.
Meh...I got exactly what I expected but I would imagine the fringe-suits know what I'm saying and I those are the ones I was speaking to. I expected you guys. Assumption is a great wallflower. Assume away my suit!

JimmyMcGill

New

Post by JimmyMcGill » Mon May 08, 2017 6:36 pm

candidlatke wrote:this guy is almost as great as the guy telling people that the secret to succeeding in law school was supplements and studying
Thanks, suit. Expel your secret(s) for success and give the other suits some substance! Cheers my friend.

JimmyMcGill

New

Post by JimmyMcGill » Mon May 08, 2017 6:39 pm

bitter_melon wrote:
JimmyMcGill wrote: As you can tell, I was heading for lazy-town. No I didn't go to a top 50 law school (*gasp*) but neither did the majority of lawyers walking this green earth.
JimmyMcGill wrote:Shortly after beginning law school I realized that nobody had a clue what they were learning. They didn't know how procedure bullshit interacted with case bullshit or how statutory bullshit interacted with procedural bullshit. Not even the slightest clue. Yet we were expected to be tested on it in four months. Well this isn't a good start for anyone...or so it seems.
Some might wonder if these two things have something to do with each other...
Well done, suit! You've reached outside of legal "academia" and found a "correlation". Now it's time to intellectually invest in P values and causation! Let me know when you find .5.

JimmyMcGill

New

Post by JimmyMcGill » Mon May 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Self-congratulatory would imply a congratulations to myself in the mix of those knowing less bullshit. But I concede that point. I really should've edited it for inferential subjective reverence.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon May 08, 2017 6:46 pm

The suits here are just trying to get or stay employed dude. Everyone here knows that law school is bullshit hoop-jumping, and the hivemind here stresses credentialing because employment outcomes from lower-ranked schools are fucking awful. As in half the class won't be lawyers awful. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, but getting terrible grades at a terrible school (as measured by employment outcomes) is a recipe for permanent poverty in almost all cases.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimmyMcGill

New

Post by JimmyMcGill » Mon May 08, 2017 6:51 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:The suits here are just trying to get or stay employed dude. Everyone here knows that law school is bullshit hoop-jumping, and the hivemind here stresses credentialing because employment outcomes from lower-ranked schools are fucking awful. As in half the class won't be lawyers awful. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, but getting terrible grades at a terrible school (as measured by employment outcomes) is a recipe for permanent poverty in almost all cases.
cdotson2 wrote:
JimmyMcGill wrote: Maybe if you actually read to the heart of my vulgarity then you'll see that I actually love the law. Just not for the reasons most idealists claim.
What was it you love about the law again?
Excellent question. There was something to be said about the way in which I wrote it but I'll explain the punch line--The law is great because it is bullshit. It allows you to use it against itself. And when you figure this out, (and the sooner, the better) you won't have that -"You're not my real dad?"- moment. Not an insult, I've just seen too many attorneys have that nervous breakdown once they realize that the law is not in the academic echo chamber it claims to be in just because there is a school for it. It's hard to overcome and I just felt lucky figuring it out **early**.

And I apologize to those egos here who somehow thought I presumed nobody had "figured it out". For the record, I wasn't talking to you. You already knew what I meant.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Dude, you should write a book or something. You're like some kind of genius.

JimmyMcGill

New

Post by JimmyMcGill » Mon May 08, 2017 7:01 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
JimmyMcGill wrote:

Well I think you're wearing it very well but I'll refrain from any further nomenclature that disrupts your tender emotional equilibrium. My friend wants to know what type of law you are want to practice? Thoughts?

We got a "Tortious Interference of a Forum" a-brewin' and I can smell the money already
Fascinating, indeed. What types of actual damages do you get from tortuously interfering with a forum whereby the participants are so willing to engage and have such thick skin? Sounds like an emotional distress claim but I don't practice that type of law. Would love to hear the sarcastic expose' though because you are quite the advocate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Mon May 08, 2017 10:39 pm

JimmyMcGill wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
JimmyMcGill wrote:

Fascinating, indeed. What types of actual damages do you get from tortuously interfering with a forum whereby the participants are so willing to engage and have such thick skin? Sounds like an emotional distress claim but I don't practice that type of law. Would love to hear the sarcastic expose' though because you are quite the advocate.
Based on your value system, doing analysis like that clearly makes you a suit...

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 08, 2017 10:50 pm

UVA2B wrote:Come back when you have something remotely interesting to say. I'll wait for my "suit" insult until then.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon May 08, 2017 10:55 pm

My client Mr. McGill will not be answering any more questions, thank you. He attempted to provide helpful information in the comfort of his own thread, and you all entered with the malicious intent to sow mischief and discord. This is your only warning to CEASE and DESIST such anonymous online frivolities or I will have no choice but to serve you each with complaints for reputational damages suffered by the Real Fake Jimmy McGill as caused by your INTERNET CRIMES.

Sincerely,
Capitol_Idea
of The Capitol_Idea Office of Law and Shoe Repair

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 08, 2017 11:03 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:My client Mr. McGill will not be answering any more questions, thank you. He attempted to provide helpful information in the comfort of his own thread, and you all entered with the malicious intent to sow mischief and discord. This is your only warning to CEASE and DESIST such anonymous online frivolities or I will have no choice but to serve you each with complaints for reputational damages suffered by the Real Fake Jimmy McGill as caused by your INTERNET CRIMES.

Sincerely,
Capitol_Idea
If contingency fees, your business model is unsustainable.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:23 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:My client Mr. McGill will not be answering any more questions, thank you. He attempted to provide helpful information in the comfort of his own thread, and you all entered with the malicious intent to sow mischief and discord. This is your only warning to CEASE and DESIST such anonymous online frivolities or I will have no choice but to serve you each with complaints for reputational damages suffered by the Real Fake Jimmy McGill as caused by your INTERNET CRIMES.

Sincerely,
Capitol_Idea
If contingency fees, your business model is unsustainable.
Spoken like a true suit.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:16 am

jchiles wrote:Are you Billy Walsh?

Was thinking the same thing.
JimmyMcGill wrote:Excellent question. There was something to be said about the way in which I wrote it but I'll explain the punch line--The law is great because it is bullshit. It allows you to use it against itself. And when you figure this out, (and the sooner, the better) you won't have that -"You're not my real dad?"- moment. Not an insult, I've just seen too many attorneys have that nervous breakdown once they realize that the law is not in the academic echo chamber it claims to be in just because there is a school for it. It's hard to overcome and I just felt lucky figuring it out **early**.

And I apologize to those egos here who somehow thought I presumed nobody had "figured it out". For the record, I wasn't talking to you. You already knew what I meant.
That's the one thing you're actually supposed to get out of law school.

Gunner19

New

Post by Gunner19 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:35 pm

First thing that came to mind. This guy just finished binge watching Entourage and thought it'd be sweet to go on an Ari inspired rant with some Billy Walsh-isms sprinkled in. He totally is Queens Blvd.

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Fri May 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Gunner19 wrote:
First thing that came to mind. This guy just finished binge watching Entourage and thought it'd be sweet to go on an Ari inspired rant with some Billy Walsh-isms sprinkled in. He totally is Queens Blvd.
Yeah dude entourage fucking rules

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”