Tips on acing admin law Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
perfunctory

Bronze

Tips on acing admin law

Post by perfunctory » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:28 pm

Please impart whatever wisdom you have for acing admin law. I am so lost. Thank you!

cheaptilts

Silver

Re: Tips on acing admin law

Post by cheaptilts » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:37 pm

Get off of TLS and find a good outline at your school from someone who has gotten an A or better in the subject. Then, go find another one. There's a pretty good "Principles of Admin Law" hornbook, but nothing is going to be better than supplements keyed to your professor's class (i.e., an old outline). Then, talk to someone who did well in the class at your school previously. If you don't know any of these people, find them. Now's not the time to be shy.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Ok, so I'll try to get this summarized in a nutshell:

The Main Goal: focus on any possible attacks on the authority to do what ever action is in play. Use the process involved and the enabling statute as a starting point.

1) Make the statute in the first instance is constitutional (i.e. does not violate non-delegation, balancing test, etc.). And that the agency actually has the power to do the action under the statute and did it in the right manner (ex. "on the record", in the right time frame, etc.)

2) Determine which process is involved (rulemaking, adjudication, or policy statements/interpretations/guidelines). Make sure the process follows the APA and all due process requirements.

3) Each process has different rules for judicial review.
Threshold issues: standing, exhaustion, ripeness, etc.. Can they even challenge this agency action? (committed to agency discretion, etc.)
Standards: Rulemaking usually gets Arbitrary & Capricious (because there is no formal hearing/evidence on the record). Adjudication usually gets substantial evidence (because there is a record against which to judge).
Deference: The highest deference is given to formal processes (rulemaking and adjudications) where the public is involved.
The lowest deference is given to informal processes where the public is unable to comment

This is a very basic overview and is missing a lot of the nuances and exceptions that you need to learn, but it's a basic structure.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you need any outline or something.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:09 pm

The first step is to realize you are learning a new language 8)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:35 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”