Any reason not to drop out? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
CountingBlue

New

Any reason not to drop out?

Post by CountingBlue » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:18 pm

I have almost decided to drop out, but wanted to see if people on the internet could give any perspective.

I am half way done and doing well at a T30 school. Money is not an issue. From what I can tell from these forums and elsewhere, longer term law options mostly arise from starting in big law or government work. I have negative interest in big law, and what I do now is government enough (law work for the fed was my original intention). Is there a path that would make finishing worthwhile? I have read through many of the threads here and can't seem to find much positive. I am searching for work that is interesting as possible without being unreasonably stressful. Are these goals at all consistent with a law degree?

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: Any reason not to drop out?

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Could you be more ambiguous? Short answer: No.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 pm

CountingBlue wrote:I have almost decided to drop out, but wanted to see if people on the internet could give any perspective.

I am half way done and doing well at a T30 school. Money is not an issue. From what I can tell from these forums and elsewhere, longer term law options mostly arise from starting in big law or government work. I have negative interest in big law, and what I do now is government enough (law work for the fed was my original intention). Is there a path that would make finishing worthwhile? I have read through many of the threads here and can't seem to find much positive. I am searching for work that is interesting as possible without being unreasonably stressful. Are these goals at all consistent with a law degree?
Yes there are firms that are not big law. If you're at a T30 most jobs available probably aren't big law. I graduated from a t30 school and work at a 25 person firm. It's cool although I still shoot to bill 2000 hours so it's not 9-5. If you think you would enjoy practicing law generally, you should stick it out.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 pm

lawhopeful100 wrote:
CountingBlue wrote:I have almost decided to drop out, but wanted to see if people on the internet could give any perspective.

Yes there are firms that are not big law. If you're at a T30 most jobs available probably aren't big law. I graduated from a t30 school and work at a 25 person firm. It's cool although I still shoot to bill 2000 hours so it's not 9-5. If you think you would enjoy practicing law generally, you should stick it out.
especially if money is not an issue. the reason people suggest dropping out if because that weighs so heavily on the calculus

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:22 am

What was the point of even starting? You don't convey an impression of having much passion about anything but I would imagine you had some desire at the start.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:31 am

BasilHallward wrote:Could you be more ambiguous? Short answer: No.
qfp.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 am

Are you in a part-time program and already employed? You must be exhausted. Take a leave of absence maybe?

CountingBlue

New

Post by CountingBlue » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:37 am

First off, I apologize for the lack of detail. I wanted to keep the question short and wasn't sure what facts would be relevant.

In regards to the above questions. I am a part time student working full time in a government bureaucrat type position during the day. I started because my job often touches upon the legal realm and I wanted to become a little less ignorant on how the legal field works. Also, when I started my personal circumstances were different such that a increase in potential future earnings was a much bigger factor. I haven't looked into taking a year of absence, but if my school offers such a thing that might be a good way reflect without making a final decision. Thank you for advice.

lawhopeful100, thanks for the feedback as well. I haven't looked much into mid-side law firms so maybe I should research that dimension more.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 pm

B90 wrote:
qfp.

I apologize for being brash, but c'mon there was hardly a kernel of useful information in OP's original post.

"doing well" in law school; OP wants "interesting" work without telling us his/her interests; doesn't want work to be "unreasonably" stressful without giving us (hourly?) parameters for OP's stress threshold; a path to make "finishing worthwhile"(?)

I understand that OP is likely stressed, but OP should take a few minutes to assess what he/she wants out of his/her life, career, the legal field. Otherwise, we are just projecting our ideas of "success" as it relates to law school or legal field. If OP is seeking sympathy for the law school suck, I totally sympathize and would advise OP to seek refuge in close relationships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:44 pm

BasilHallward wrote:
B90 wrote:
qfp.

I apologize for being brash, but c'mon there was hardly a kernel of useful information in OP's original post.

"doing well" in law school; OP wants "interesting" work without telling us his/her interests; doesn't want work to be "unreasonably" stressful without giving us (hourly?) parameters for OP's stress threshold; a path to make "finishing worthwhile"(?)

I understand that OP is likely stressed, but OP should take a few minutes to assess what he/she wants out of his/her life, career, the legal field. Otherwise, we are just projecting our ideas of "success" as it relates to law school or legal field. If OP is seeking sympathy for the law school suck, I totally sympathize and would advise OP to seek refuge in close relationships.
My turn to apologize. I wasn't calling you arrogant or insufferable, I was agreeing with you.
I have a very dry sense of humor. The downside of talking online rather than face to face is that you don't get nonverbal cues.

Sarcasm aside, I "quoted for posterity" because I was afraid the sheer brilliance of your post would go unappreciated.
No one could have made a more perfect response to OP.
Not only was it succint and direct, but my favorite part was the way that your second statement, "Short answer: No" simultaneouly answered both OP and your own first statement.

I am a staunch believer in the importance of a sense of humor. Please continue to keep your sense of humor and also your clear compassion and empathy for others. It is the best, if not only, way to stay sane in this profession.

OP, I am not mocking you. The existential crisis you are going through is something most law students experience at least one time, no matter who you are or where you attend.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:56 pm

B90 wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:
B90 wrote:
qfp.

My turn to apologize. I wasn't calling you arrogant or insufferable, I was agreeing with you.
I have a very dry sense of humor. The downside of talking online rather than face to face is that you don't get nonverbal cues.

Sarcasm aside, I "quoted for posterity" because I was afraid the sheer brilliance of your post would go unappreciated.
No one could have made a more perfect response to OP.
Not only was it succint and direct, but my favorite part was the way that your second statement, "Short answer: No" simultaneouly answered both OP and your own first statement.

I am a staunch believer in the importance of a sense of humor. Please continue to keep your sense of humor and also your clear compassion and empathy for others. It is the best, if not only, way to stay sane in this profession.

OP, I am not mocking you. The existential crisis you are going through is something most law students experience at least one time, no matter who you are or where you attend.
+180

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”