Graduation Presents Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bda

New

Graduation Presents

Post by bda » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:31 am

My boyfriend's parents have asked for gift ideas for my graduation next month.

They originally suggested a nice briefcase but I told them I already had a decent amount of work bags and also (though I didn't mention this part) briefcases aren't really my style.

Are there any other reasonably priced gifts to suggest?

zot1

Gold

Re: Graduation Presents

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 am

Is he going to biglaw? If not, definitely framing services.

bda

New

Post by bda » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 am

It's for me, going into public interest in NYC.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:36 am

I second a nice framing service. Not cheap, but certainly worth it.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 am

bda wrote:It's for me, going into public interest in NYC.
Sorry, I misread the question in a hurry. Ask them to frame at least your UG and law school diplomas. Depending on the briefcase they were trying to buy you, it could be roughly the same amount.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:11 am

A copy of Black's law dictionary.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:03 pm

grades?? wrote:I second a nice framing service. Not cheap, but certainly worth it.
I also agree with this. Your diploma and bar certificate are probably going to be on your wall for decades to come. Getting them nicely framed costs a stupid amount but is worth it.

If there's any possibility that they don't know how much framing costs - pretty sure mine were well in excess of $500 total - I'd ask for a gift voucher for a local framing store and you can pay the difference when you have the cash. I wouldn't want to be seen asking for something that's hundreds of dollars more than they were expecting to pay for a briefcase.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:08 pm

albanach wrote:
grades?? wrote:I second a nice framing service. Not cheap, but certainly worth it.
I also agree with this. Your diploma and bar certificate are probably going to be on your wall for decades to come. Getting them nicely framed costs a stupid amount but is worth it.

If there's any possibility that they don't know how much framing costs - pretty sure mine were well in excess of $500 total - I'd ask for a gift voucher for a local framing store and you can pay the difference when you have the cash. I wouldn't want to be seen asking for something that's hundreds of dollars more than they were expecting to pay for a briefcase.
Yeah they can get expensive. A great frame, anti-acid border, nice glass, etc can cost 500 easily for 1 diploma. But it is something everyone who steps into your office will judge you about.

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:46 pm

grades?? wrote:
albanach wrote:

Yeah they can get expensive. A great frame, anti-acid border, nice glass, etc can cost 500 easily for 1 diploma. But it is something everyone who steps into your office will judge you about.
Are you all serious? Is this actually a thing?

God I hate this profession sometimes. Please tell me you at least work in a NYC V5, and I can just disregard. Here I was thinking I could just buy some shitty frame for $20 and call it a day. For what it's worth, I guarantee you that the first thing I think of when walking into an attorney's office isn't "what a TTTerrible framing job. This person is worthless and deserves to be stuck doing doc review forever."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:51 pm

I think you need to go back to the whole convo.

If you work at a big law firm (and actually a good chunk of mid and small firms), the firm actually frames diplomas for you.

If you don't, the expense is on your own. I don't know when's the last time you bought a frame, but even if you go to marshalls, a cheap frame can be almost $100.

That's why, as a present for someone going non-private, I can't think of something better to gift than framing.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
God I hate this profession sometimes. Please tell me you at least work in a NYC V5, and I can just disregard. Here I was thinking I could just buy some shitty frame for $20 and call it a day. For what it's worth, I guarantee you that the first thing I think of when walking into an attorney's office isn't "what a TTTerrible framing job. This person is worthless and deserves to be stuck doing doc review forever."
I certainly don't judge anyone on their diploma frame, but I do have to see mine every day since it's on my office wall, so I think it's worth doing right.

A UVA diploma is 17"x22". A cheap frame from the bookstore is about $200 + $40 shipping. If you want your diploma and bar certificate to match, you really have to get them done yourself at a framing place. And that's more expensive.

Bear in mind, if you're a young grad you probably want this to survive without deteriorating for about fifty years. That means UV protection and decent materials.

I agree it's expensive and also that you shouldn't judge anyone that is lucky enough to have a diploma that fits in an off-the-shelf frame and who chooses to save that money.

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:16 pm

zot1 wrote:I think you need to go back to the whole convo.

If you work at a big law firm (and actually a good chunk of mid and small firms), the firm actually frames diplomas for you.

If you don't, the expense is on your own. I don't know when's the last time you bought a frame, but even if you go to marshalls, a cheap frame can be almost $100.

That's why, as a present for someone going non-private, I can't think of something better to gift than framing.
I live in DC - not the cheapest place in the country - and can guarantee you that you can get frames at the very least in the <$50 range. I know because I've gotten a bunch of things framed here, both for really cheap (the aforementioned <$50, which I'm sure is mass-produced and imported from China) and for the outrageous $400+ advocated ITT. I guess I just put diploma-framing very low on my list of priorities for quality framing lol. It's a law school degree. It has your name on it. Joy?

EDIT: in response to albanach, I guess I also hadn't considered that low-quality framing can lead to the degree deteriorating. Still not fully convinced, but at least I'll know for the future that it's an expense to consider.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Within my answer I was thinking of framing that would at least keep. I know this is least in your priorities and that's cool. But OP has the opportunity to get this for free. It would be silly not to do it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Fair. I was more incensed at the idea that "people judge you based on the quality of your diploma frame," which apparently some do, and which strikes me as classic TLS elitism. It's also really hard to get useful graduation gifts, so why not.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm probably in the minority but my law school diploma is wrinkled and buried in a drawer and I have no idea where my undergrad one is. Don't have either hanging in my office obviously and wasn't planning on it. Didn't realize people are passionate about it.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:Fair. I was more incensed at the idea that "people judge you based on the quality of your diploma frame," which apparently some do, and which strikes me as classic TLS elitism. It's also really hard to get useful graduation gifts, so why not.
The thing is that some people will judge you even for what you're wearing. So yeah, that mentality will be there, regardless of profession. I do think attorneys are held to a higher standard, and that just comes with the territory of the profession, not necessarily TLS-specific.

I think on the cheaper but still useful side of graduation gifts, I can think of a nice agenda (maybe even with your name on it), set of pens, a business card holder.

On the more expensive side, a suit, shoes, fancy wall art, or a trip come to mind.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:36 pm

lawhopeful100 wrote:I'm probably in the minority but my law school diploma is wrinkled and buried in a drawer and I have no idea where my undergrad one is. Don't have either hanging in my office obviously and wasn't planning on it. Didn't realize people are passionate about it.
Well, it depends. If you work in a setting where only your coworkers see your office, then who cares. If you're in a cubicle, who cares.

But if you ever have clients, important members of the community, or opposing counsel in your office, then having your diplomas is a must imho.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:Fair. I was more incensed at the idea that "people judge you based on the quality of your diploma frame," which apparently some do, and which strikes me as classic TLS elitism. It's also really hard to get useful graduation gifts, so why not.
I kind of agree. I would rather they give me the $500 in cash instead of using it on a diploma frame.

OP: is cash an option? If not, a giftcard to a nice-ish, department store so you can buy some stuff for your wardrobe?
Last edited by dabigchina on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:41 pm

lawhopeful100 wrote:I'm probably in the minority but my law school diploma is wrinkled and buried in a drawer and I have no idea where my undergrad one is. Don't have either hanging in my office obviously and wasn't planning on it. Didn't realize people are passionate about it.
Yeah, I don't anticipate forgetting where I attended UG/law school, and LinkedIn exists for everyone else. Fuck wasting $500 on this.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Yeah, I don't anticipate forgetting where I attended UG/law school, and LinkedIn exists for everyone else. Fuck wasting $500 on this.
The diplomas on your wall are not for you but for those to come into your office.

As an aside, bare walls can get boring.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm

zot1 wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
The diplomas on your wall are not for you but for those to come into your office.

Yea my apartment walls are completely bare too. My girlfriend said as soon as she moves in she wants to start hanging things up lol. I just like a clean look I think.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:24 pm

zot1 wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

Admittedly I don't know anything about the propriety of hanging stuff on the walls of your law firm/government/org's office, but surely no diploma =/= bare walls? I think we're all capable of putting stuff up that doesn't look inappropriate in an office setting.

And this goes back to why this profession is sometimes very silly. If you are hanging you diploma/bar certificate/various court bar certificates (lol at those) on your wall to impress your clients, well that says something about 1) your clients, and 2) the kind of environment you work in. Lawyers are way too obsessed with prestige/appearances.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:28 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

Admittedly I don't know anything about the propriety of hanging stuff on the walls of your law firm/government/org's office, but surely no diploma =/= bare walls? I think we're all capable of putting stuff up that doesn't look inappropriate in an office setting.

And this goes back to why this profession is sometimes very silly. If you are hanging you diploma/bar certificate/various court bar certificates (lol at those) on your wall to impress your clients, well that says something about 1) your clients, and 2) the kind of environment you work in. Lawyers are way too obsessed with prestige/appearances.
I mean this is not a great mentality for a lot of people in the legal profession. If you are solo/small firm, your clients WILL be in your office and will judge you by your appearance, your office appearance, and your diplomas being presented. It may be unconscious, but it does happen in the real world. Sure it might not be a big deal at a large firm, but when your livelihood depends on eating what walks in the door, then presentation can matter a lot.

But anyway Im glad your experience has been different.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

You must be a student.

Yes, you can hang stuff at most offices. But hanging your diploma for $100 is better than spending $200 in art. So I was going for the cheaper option.

As to your second point, it has nothing to do with lawyers worried about prestige/appearances. Depending on where you work, you simply don't get to pick your clients. But also, the environment doesn't matter because I specifically said that if only your coworkers see your office then it's really not as important.

Y'all just wait until your practicing and then do whatever you feel like.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Also, there are some other intangible reasons to have your diplomas up and your bar certificate. It could be a conversation point with a client, community member, etc. "oh you went to state school x, my daughter is going there right now." As to the bar certificate, since I'm in fed gov, people in my office have certificates from a whole bunch of different states. So you might have someone who sees it and asks about your time in that state.

Anyway, I'll stop addressing this issue because we've gone way off topic. But I'll second what grades was saying. With so many attorneys out there AND with attorneys having one of the worst reputations among professions, how you present yourself out to the public matters. We are a profession of details, so the details of how you present yourself to the public is important. If you miss an issue in a case, you can literally lose the whole case. So just keep that in mind as you go and practice some day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”