Class oral argument question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
#NotACop

Bronze

Class oral argument question

Post by #NotACop » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:17 pm

One of my classes is structured to very closely mirror real life. To the point where we can file any motion we want in the appeal. I have an oral argument tonight, and earlier today I filed a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction. The opposing side replied and said the "court" should sanction me for causing undue delay to the appeal. I haven't noticed that there was an argument for this beforehand which is why I am bringing up the argument Inow. in terms of bringing up a challenge to the power of the court to even hear the argument...can that be an undue delay?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Class oral argument question

Post by kellyfrost » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:34 pm

#NotACop wrote:One of my classes is structured to very closely mirror real life. To the point where we can file any motion we want in the appeal. I have an oral argument tonight, and earlier today I filed a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction. The opposing side replied and said the "court" should sanction me for causing undue delay to the appeal. I haven't noticed that there was an argument for this beforehand which is why I am bringing up the argument Inow. in terms of bringing up a challenge to the power of the court to even hear the argument...can that be an undue delay?
So long as your motion is not frivolous.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:15 am

If it's a good motion, doesn't matter. Jurisdiction is always fair game for an appeal.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Just to be sure, you argued that the court lacks subject-matter jurisdiction, right?

edit: also, whoever your classmate is, s/he's kind of a dick or a troll to ask that the "court" sanction you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”