Tips to improve from A- to A grades? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Lawstudent3000

New

Tips to improve from A- to A grades?

Post by Lawstudent3000 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:48 pm

As I would love to transfer into a better school, I am really keen on doing well this semester. In order to really make it happen, I would need to jump from around top 15% of the class (where I am around now) to around 7% or something. Basically, I need to kill it come finals. I got a slew of A-'s and 2 B+, so I still feel like I need that extra help to really "get" the tests.

What do you suggest I do with the 3 weeks that I have? What helped you really do well in the second semester? What should the focus be on? I am going to try and get through the book "getting to maybe," is that a good idea?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

jphiggo

Bronze

Re: Tips to improve from A- to A grades?

Post by jphiggo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:04 am

Here are a few things that may help. Anecdotally, these have worked well for me in the past.

Alternative arguments (most important, IMO), references to analogies made in class, case and statute citation, etc.

texas1100

New

Post by texas1100 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:18 am

Try and always throw in "Nevertheless, as a policy matter, xyz." (Just some big picture thing that shows how it would be hard to enforce/have some negative effect/etc).. you can basically have a one liner tee'd up for most big topics in your class. That'll help separate you a tad, assuming your other stuff is good

Do this at the very end of a big section/question response (i.e. somewhere it makes sense and don't spend more then 1-3 sentences on it, particularly with an issue spotter)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:59 am

Focus on the word "because" - explain absolutely EVERYTHING

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Git gud.

No but really, first I echo pretty much all of the above advice. The absolute best thing I've done to get A's is to never ever assume ANYTHING that is not black and white stated to be true. Always be ready to go to every possibility. Obviously, trek down the river from most obvious to least obvious to gather up the low hanging fruit points, but getting to the little stuff can push you over the edge.

Second, learn your professor. This is way better than simply learning the material or the class. Your professor has a way they like things. Do they answer student questions a certain way? Do that. Use certain "Key phrases" that they made up? Use them. Your professors are writing the test, so if two exams are identical, but one catches their natural instincts, that one will get the bump.

I feel like if you're getting A-'s, Getting to Maybe might waste your time, but I did read it before school and again before 1L fall exams started, and I found it very helpful. Hope this helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:35 pm

I don't understand why you're aiming for an A and not an A+.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:37 pm

zot1 wrote:I don't understand why you're aiming for an A and not an A+.
Hey, it's only three weeks (now more like two).

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:12 am

Get in your professor's head and answer questions the way they answer them in class.

CountingBlue

New

Post by CountingBlue » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Joscellin wrote:Get in your professor's head and answer questions the way they answer them in class.
I think this is great advice. I have taken a sickening number of years of schooling and this has worked at every level. It isn't a matter of having the same opinions of the professor, but you want your mental map of the course material to match theirs. That way when you get a question you know exactly what material they expect to see in the response.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”