Bluebook Citation Question for citing CA cases in CA court Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawschool12321

New

Bluebook Citation Question for citing CA cases in CA court

Post by lawschool12321 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:59 pm

I am writing a brief for Legal Writing Class set in CA Superior Court and the professor wants us to use Bluebook citation format and follow Table T1 to cite to cases. And to cite to only one reporter.

So following Table T1 (p. 252 of bluebook), if I want to cite to California Supreme Court, would I only cite to the West's Pacific Reporter (P., P.2d...)?
And for cases from CA Ct of Appeals, I only would cite to Cal. Rptr....?

I am confused because this would mean citing to different reporters for cases in Supreme Court v. Ct of Appeals?

Person1111

Bronze

Re: Bluebook Citation Question for citing CA cases in CA court

Post by Person1111 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:05 pm

I am a practicing litigator in CA. I cite California Supreme Court cases using the California Reports ("Cal. 3d" or "Cal. 4th", typically) and California Court of Appeal cases using the California Appellate Reports ("Cal. App. 3d" or Cal. App. 4th", typically). I don't ever cite the California Reporter, and I would only cite the Pacific Reporter if citing to an out-of-state case. I also don't include any information in the parenthetical other than the year, and I think this is consistent with BB rule 10.4(b).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Were you asked to follow Bluebook rules or to write as though you were submitting this to a California court? As far as I know, no state uses Bluebook formatting for citations.

Edit: But yes, it's entirely normal to cite to different reporters for different levels of a state court system.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:44 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:I cite California Supreme Court cases using the California Reports ("Cal. 3d" or "Cal. 4th", typically) and California Court of Appeal cases using the California Appellate Reports ("Cal. App. 3d" or Cal. App. 4th", typically). I don't ever cite the California Reporter, and I would only cite the Pacific Reporter if citing to an out-of-state case. I also don't include any information in the parenthetical other than the year, and I think this is consistent with BB rule 10.4(b).
I don't know if it's Bluebook appropriate, but I think this is how most California practitioners cite decisions. And I'd only ever use the Pacific Reporter if I were going to cite a case from Oklahoma or Kansas, if only to highlight how absurd the regional reporter system is.

JGMotorsport

New

Post by JGMotorsport » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:38 am

lawschool12321 wrote:I am writing a brief for Legal Writing Class set in CA Superior Court and the professor wants us to use Bluebook citation format and follow Table T1 to cite to cases. And to cite to only one reporter.

So following Table T1 (p. 252 of bluebook), if I want to cite to California Supreme Court, would I only cite to the West's Pacific Reporter (P., P.2d...)?
And for cases from CA Ct of Appeals, I only would cite to Cal. Rptr....?

I am confused because this would mean citing to different reporters for cases in Supreme Court v. Ct of Appeals?
I ran into this problem citing a CA case in AZ, which follows the BB for out of state citations.

It's weird, but when you look on Westlaw you'll notice that the national reporter for the Cal Ct App is Cal.Rptr even if you wanted to cite to Wests Pacific, you couldn't.

So it's weird, but your instinct is correct. I ran into the problem after reading the case and searching for a Pacific cite but couldn't find it. BB answered the question. There isn't one. Hope this is helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”