Submitted LW Brief With Comments/Plagiarism? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chaoticx5

New

Submitted LW Brief With Comments/Plagiarism?

Post by chaoticx5 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:04 pm

Deleted
Last edited by chaoticx5 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Re: Submitted LW Brief With Comments/Plagiarism?

Post by grades?? » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Likely it is. You need to go to your professor and beg forgiveness before it gets kicked to a dean.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:19 pm

Were you told that you couldn't work with anyone else on the brief? Was this for a grade, or just a mid-semester practice thing?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:21 pm

It depends on your instructions. From what you posted, it sounds like you weren't supposed to be getting help from other students. If that's the case, I'd bring it up with your teacher before they bring it up with you.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:47 pm

This doesn't sound like plagarism (i.e. copying someone else's work). But its definitely serious if your school has a rule (which I feel is typical for 1L legal writing type classes) that students can't review eachother's work.

I'd beg for forgiveness. On a good note, my experience with legal writing adjunct profs is that they can be pretty cool and given their adjunct position, may not want to tank someone for this. Luck of the draw, really.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:50 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:This doesn't sound like plagarism (i.e. copying someone else's work). But its definitely serious if your school has a rule (which I feel is typical for 1L legal writing type classes) that students can't review eachother's work.
Agree with this.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:07 pm

My guess is how much pain results from this depends on whether it was for a grade or not. If it was just a practice draft, I doubt you get fried too badly. If it was for a grade, that's a different story and you'll probably need to throw yourself on the LRW prof's mercy.
Last edited by TheSpanishMain on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:14 pm

The rule probably goes a little broader than just students reviewing each other's work. Probably can't have anyone review your work. Substantive edits from a 2L/3L or practitioner would be much more unfair to grading than a classmate or a non-legal 3rd party.

OTOH, a 2L/3L/Grad should probably know better than to edit a 1L's brief.

Also, (mostly for the benefits of other lurking 1Ls) in addition to the the primary concern of the ethical dilemma is the secondary concern of attention to detail. LSW is a tight curve with everyone's paper looking more or less the same. It's bluebooking, formatting, and other technical/non-substantive bits that differentiates your papers.

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:16 pm

If it wasn't for a grade, and there was no explicit instruction not to have anyone else read your draft, I would not bring it up to your professor. If your professor brings it up to you, just feign that you did not realize that you couldnt have others proofread your ungraded assignments, and that you wont do it again.

If it was for a grade, thats a whole different story.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”