Podcast on Social Justice Lawyering Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
serviceroadspodcast

New

Podcast on Social Justice Lawyering

Post by serviceroadspodcast » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:49 am

Hey everyone,

We are two law students at University of Texas, and we recently started a podcast about social justice lawyering. We speak to lawyers, activists, and organizers about their work, and how law students can forge a path to a career in advocating for social justice.

So far our interviewees have discussed important topics such as: border militarization, deportation defense, reproductive rights, the legal fight against payday lenders, serving rural communities that lack vital resources, and building worker-owned businesses through the sharing economy. The next few episodes will feature: 1) professor Bill Quigley speaking about building the phenomenon of social justice lawyering, 2) what it takes to abolish capital punishment, and 3) how lawyers are advocating for environmental justice in impoverished rural communities.

We started this podcast to help grow the public interest community among law students, and advocates in all fields. We hope you guys like it, and please reach out to us either on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/serviceroads or shoot us an email: serviceroads@gmail.com

Here is the link to the iTunes website:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ser ... 48289?mt=2

But if you're a podcast nut, then we're also on Stitcher:
http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/service ... refid=stpr

Thanks for reading, take care and we'd love to hear any and all feedback about the podcast if you choose to listen.

Patrick and Logan

pgs2q7

New

Re: Podcast on Social Justice Lawyering

Post by pgs2q7 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:14 am

Awesome work guys, I'm excited to hear what follows!

serviceroadspodcast

New

Post by serviceroadspodcast » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:17 pm

Thanks! Really appreciate the listen and the kind words! :D

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:00 pm

Cool, I will definitely check it out. Let me know if you ever want to do something in the Appalachian region.

serviceroadspodcast

New

Post by serviceroadspodcast » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks a lot!

Send us a PM because we're definitely interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:30 am

Can you ask the professor what he's doing about Loyola's 60% unemployment rate? That seems like it would be concerning for a social justice advocate like him. Especially given that this probably falls disproportionately on lower income and POC.

serviceroadspodcast

New

Post by serviceroadspodcast » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:28 pm

I don't think the professor running the poverty law center on campus is the person to ask about the school's employment numbers. I'm sure he is concerned about the ability to gain employment in the legal profession, just like all of us are. In the interview he actually speaks about that, and what it was like for him when he graduated law school and couldn't find a job. His story is a pretty good one, and is inspiring in a number of ways so I really hope you will listen when the episode comes out.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Rahviveh wrote:Can you ask the professor what he's doing about Loyola's 60% unemployment rate? That seems like it would be concerning for a social justice advocate like him. Especially given that this probably falls disproportionately on lower income and POC.
qfp

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Cool podcast idea. I'll check it out. A former classmate of mine is doing social justice lawyering with a community development organization in Detroit. If you're interested in his work I can get some info and provide his contact info.

I do enviro impact lit but not the type done through a social justice lawyering-lense. I am looking forward to your episode on EJ in rural communities. Definitely a good topic that often gets overlooked

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

serviceroadspodcast

New

Post by serviceroadspodcast » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks a lot for the kind words, and we're always looking for more people to talk to so if you'd like, feel free to PM us your friend's details or shoot us an email (serviceroads@gmail.com).

:D

pgs2q7

New

Post by pgs2q7 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:21 pm

I also know of some people in the midwest that do similar work. I'll PM you details!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:26 pm

serviceroadspodcast wrote:I don't think the professor running the poverty law center on campus is the person to ask about the school's employment numbers. I'm sure he is concerned about the ability to gain employment in the legal profession, just like all of us are. In the interview he actually speaks about that, and what it was like for him when he graduated law school and couldn't find a job. His story is a pretty good one, and is inspiring in a number of ways so I really hope you will listen when the episode comes out.
If he is so concerned, did you ask him what he is doing to fix the issue. Ask him why should take him seriously as a social justice advocate when he draws a six figure salary from a scam operation.

I also noticed both of the hosts of this podcast are white males. Does that make sense for a podcast that claims to be about social justice?

us3rnam3

Bronze

Post by us3rnam3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:31 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
serviceroadspodcast wrote:I don't think the professor running the poverty law center on campus is the person to ask about the school's employment numbers. I'm sure he is concerned about the ability to gain employment in the legal profession, just like all of us are. In the interview he actually speaks about that, and what it was like for him when he graduated law school and couldn't find a job. His story is a pretty good one, and is inspiring in a number of ways so I really hope you will listen when the episode comes out.
If he is so concerned, did you ask him what he is doing to fix the issue. Ask him why should take him seriously as a social justice advocate when he draws a six figure salary from a scam operation.

I also noticed both of the hosts of this podcast are white males. Does that make sense for a podcast that claims to be about social justice?
Do you want them to be interested in something else because they are white males?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Rahviveh wrote:

This is some amazing concern trolling. Fuck off

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Nebby wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:
This is some amazing concern trolling. Fuck off
I think it's a legitimate point tho, it's not like Loyola is CUNY (or other state schools) and charging pretty low in-state tuition.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

serviceroadspodcast

New

Post by serviceroadspodcast » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:09 am

Wasn't trying to ruffle too many feathers here by posting a podcast for people interested in PI work to a forum for law students, but I guess we did.

1) Before trying to knock Mr. Quigley about how much money he makes, I would do some research on his career (or hey, maybe listen to the podcast that features him because it just went up and he does a great job explaining it). The man has done an incredible amount of altruistic work as an attorney, and I think we should find that there is a fundamental difference between drawing a high salary as someone who dedicates their life to ridding poverty in the area, and being part of a scam operation.

2) Yes, we're both white males.

Thanks to all those that have provided great feedback! We really appreciate the commentary and we hope you will keep listening and sharing with others that are interested (here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ser ... 48289?mt=2). It's been busy with finals coming up so the episodes have lagged a little bit, but we are releasing one today and at least one more before the end of the school year.

Good luck to everyone else on their exams!

pgs2q7

New

Post by pgs2q7 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Just listened to the episode with Bill Quigley and he actually does offer quite a few suggestions for making law school more affordable for students (like the fact that it doesn't need to be 3 years, and LRAP should be better at every school). So I hope the people that were talking down on him will take the time to listen to what he has to say.

Great episode, thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

serviceroadspodcast

New

Post by serviceroadspodcast » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:07 am

Appreciate it! :)

serviceroadspodcast

New

Post by serviceroadspodcast » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Just wanted to update this thread rather than start a new one, but we've continued to release some great interviews that law students - particularly those interested in public interest law - should hear. These include:

- Anthony Graves (exonerated death row inmate who spent 12 years on death row)
- James Forman Jr. (Yale Law Professor, former Supreme Court clerk and PDS attorney)
- Will Snowden (Orleans Public Defender and founder of The Juror Project)
- Brian Stolarz (attorney for Alfred Dewayne Brown, an eventually exonerated Texas death row inmate)
- Nithya Nathan (director of the Detained Children's Program at Capital Area Immigrant Rights Coalition)

Upcoming Episodes will include:

- Ilham Askia (co-founder of Gideon's Promise)
- James King (PDS attorney, former NFL player who was wrongfully convicted of second degree murder)
- Steve Bright (Yale law professor, longtime director of the Southern Center for Human Rights, and has given multiple arguments to the SC on nominal capital cases)

Here is our website:

www.serviceroadspodcast.com

We love to hear feedback on how we can do better, so let us know any of your ideas.

Take care and we all hope the rest of your semesters go great! :)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:53 pm

I don't know how I missed this the first time around. Gotta love people who clearly don't give a flying fuck about issues acting like every practitioner who doesn't live as an ascetic is somehow not dedicated to the cause.

Silver

Post by 2807 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:47 pm

Do your listeners and yourselves a favor and have the counter view to those issues represented.

If you present this like “if we just do it this way, only good things will happen” you lose all credibility and are merely repeating the bumperstickers that so many else already do. It’s like 6-year olds having a podcast about “why parents are so dumb”

Be brave. Name the top 3 things that are problematic with your positions.

Then, I may listen. Otherwise...you’ll be in the echo chamber.
And we have way too much of that already.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Milksteak

New

Post by Milksteak » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:36 am

Yo fuck all these people hating on your shit. Just subscribed and excited to listen to your interview with Bill Quigley. Just read his "Reflections of Community Organizers" article from awhile back and am excited to hear all he has to say about community lawyering. This whole forum is so full of biglaw mouthbreathers and I am glad to see something else here for once.

serviceroadspodcast

New

Post by serviceroadspodcast » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:15 pm

@milksteak: Quigley is a great dude, and he has a phenomenal outlook on how to approach his work. We really appreciate the kind words and we hope you'll enjoy some of our upcoming episodes.

@cavalier1138: Totally agree that it's not productive to any cause when you say "there's only one way to do it." I don't think that's our guests' message at all, but I suppose we could do a better job making sure it's not taken that way. I'd like to ask what specific guest you're referring to. Or are we the ones who clearly don't give a flying f***?

@2807: The top 3 things that are wrong with our position? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Let's take the example of Anthony Graves: What are the top 3 things that are problematic with the position that an innocent man should not be convicted of murder? I'm not sure, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:33 pm

serviceroadspodcast wrote:@milksteak: Quigley is a great dude, and he has a phenomenal outlook on how to approach his work. We really appreciate the kind words and we hope you'll enjoy some of our upcoming episodes.

@cavalier1138: Totally agree that it's not productive to any cause when you say "there's only one way to do it." I don't think that's our guests' message at all, but I suppose we could do a better job making sure it's not taken that way. I'd like to ask what specific guest you're referring to. Or are we the ones who clearly don't give a flying f***?

@2807: The top 3 things that are wrong with our position? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Let's take the example of Anthony Graves: What are the top 3 things that are problematic with the position that an innocent man should not be convicted of murder? I'm not sure, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Apologies. I was posting about some comments on this thread, not your guests.

serviceroadspodcast

New

Post by serviceroadspodcast » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Ah, no worries. Sorry for the confusion! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”