I don't remember the details of a traffic stop for which i received no ticket or written warning. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Tiberius42

New

I don't remember the details of a traffic stop for which i received no ticket or written warning.

Post by Tiberius42 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:31 am

I was once stopped for driving in the passing lane for too long, which was not something I knew you weren't supposed to do. My bar application says to report all warnings, the officer didn't write me a ticket or give me a written warning so I have no documentation. I was on a cross country trip at the time so I don't know the city (it was in the middle of nowhere so I guess there was no city) or the department of the officer (I assume state police). Obviously I don't want to guess, but what should I do? Does the bar want unwritten warnings?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: I don't remember the details of a traffic stop for which i received no ticket or written warning.

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:34 am

When in doubt, disclose and give as much detail as possible. They will not care so long as you explain the situation (and I think most states give you a place to do that in your app). I had 2 actual tickets from over a decade ago for which no evidence existed online anywhere, and I just explained where I didn't have details and why.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: I don't remember the details of a traffic stop for which i received no ticket or written warning.

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Yeah, just mention that you got an informal warning and try to give an approximate date. Most states want a copy of your driving record anyway.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:36 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:When in doubt, disclose and give as much detail as possible. They will not care so long as you explain the situation (and I think most states give you a place to do that in your app).

Tiberius42

New

Post by Tiberius42 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:11 am

There's a bunch of required boxes that ask for info that either doesn't exist or I don't have, it's a really poorly designed application site. I guess I'll just write none and explain that I don't know a bunch of the info in the application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:18 am

Tiberius42 wrote:My bar application says to report all warnings,
Seriously? So if an officer says "I need you to step away from the barricade, sir," you have to report the officer's comment on your bar application? What does the language on your bar application actually say?

Tiberius42

New

Post by Tiberius42 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:24 am

Only warnings associated with traffic stops.
Have you ever received a warning, a ticket or been cited for, arrested for, charged with, or convicted of any traffic violation?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:30 am

Tiberius42 wrote:Only warnings associated with traffic stops.
Have you ever received a warning, a ticket or been cited for, arrested for, charged with, or convicted of any traffic violation?
Well, that's annoying. In any event, your approach sounds fine.

Tiberius42

New

Post by Tiberius42 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:44 am

Ya I figured, I was just a little worried about writing down state police when it was actually county police and the bar getting unreasonable about that. I figure pointing out that I'm not certain on some of the answers should take care of that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:29 am

I'd read that to mean written warning given everything else in the list involves paperwork. My two cents.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:41 am

hdunlop wrote:I'd read that to mean written warning given everything else in the list involves paperwork. My two cents.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:18 am

I didn't even have to report tickets giving less than 2 points (it was an enumerated list, but that was the gist). Your state sucks
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:40 am

Tiberius42 wrote:Ya I figured, I was just a little worried about writing down state police when it was actually county police and the bar getting unreasonable about that. I figure pointing out that I'm not certain on some of the answers should take care of that.
I can't imagine they're going to notice or give half a shit. You have to remember that most states have thousands of applicants to get through. As long as you're not trying to conceal DUIs, I don't think anyone is going to get too far up your ass about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:55 am

Tiberius42 wrote:I was once stopped for driving in the passing lane for too long, which was not something I knew you weren't supposed to do. My bar application says to report all warnings, the officer didn't write me a ticket or give me a written warning so I have no documentation. I was on a cross country trip at the time so I don't know the city (it was in the middle of nowhere so I guess there was no city) or the department of the officer (I assume state police). Obviously I don't want to guess, but what should I do? Does the bar want unwritten warnings?
Have you pulled your driver's record?

Tiberius42

New

Post by Tiberius42 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:19 am

HuntedUnicorn wrote:
Tiberius42 wrote:I was once stopped for driving in the passing lane for too long, which was not something I knew you weren't supposed to do. My bar application says to report all warnings, the officer didn't write me a ticket or give me a written warning so I have no documentation. I was on a cross country trip at the time so I don't know the city (it was in the middle of nowhere so I guess there was no city) or the department of the officer (I assume state police). Obviously I don't want to guess, but what should I do? Does the bar want unwritten warnings?
This happened out of state but yes I did and it has nothing.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:21 am

Tiberius42 wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:
This happened out of state but yes I did and it has nothing.
People are probably right that you should disclose what you can but it almost certainly doesn't matter either way then. It's not like the bar has access to a super secret data base of all your past transgressions.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:22 am

Tiberius42 wrote:I was once stopped for driving in the passing lane for too long, which was not something I knew you weren't supposed to do.
stop doing this. also, don't stand on the right side of escalators.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tiberius42

New

Post by Tiberius42 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 am

grand inquisitor wrote:
Tiberius42 wrote:I was once stopped for driving in the passing lane for too long, which was not something I knew you weren't supposed to do.
stop doing this. also, don't stand on the right side of escalators.

It was so weird when the cop told me what he pulled me over for, I had literally never heard of it. Literally everyone in my state does it, they didn't talk about it during drivers ed, and it wasn't on my written driving test. I assumed that as long as you're not keeping others from passing, you're free to stay in the fast lane.

Lettow

New

Post by Lettow » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:03 am

HuntedUnicorn wrote:People are probably right that you should disclose what you can but it almost certainly doesn't matter either way then. It's not like the bar has access to a super secret data base of all your past transgressions.
This. If there's no realistic way for them to find out, I wouldn't worry about it. Disclose the warning or not, I don't think it matters.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”