Will an MIP affect ability to get into school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mobynick

New

Will an MIP affect ability to get into school?

Post by mobynick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:34 pm

My child recently got charged with an MIP (Minor in Possession) in the State of Colorado. We know he is likely to enter a diversion program or some sort of probation. My child is 17 and is applying for colleges next year. He is a great student that looks to go to law school but I am afraid this may negatively affect his ability to get into college. I read several articles including onehttps://southdenverlaw.com/drug-charges ... r-colorado that was very helpful but it didn’t tell me how it could affect my child’s future in education. Is there any way to get the charge expunged? Are MIPs a deal breaker when trying to get into college?

SFSpartan

Silver

Re: Will an MIP affect ability to get into school?

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:38 pm

To the extent you aren't trolling, you have come to the wrong place for this question. For LS, it could be a big deal, or it could not be depending on whether your child develops subsequent C+F issues, has continued problems with alcohol, etc. Assuming this is a one-time thing, not a big deal for law school.

poptart123

Silver

Re: Will an MIP affect ability to get into school?

Post by poptart123 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:55 pm

I think the above is pretty spot on. I would also look into how this might effect federal loan opportunities, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”