. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
law_student_19

New

Post by law_student_19 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:29 pm

Last edited by law_student_19 on Wed May 17, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Re: 1L burn out

Post by star fox » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:30 pm

You should be motivated by fear. Everyone is going to be a lot better at taking law school exams and people who were around median are probably studying their ass off right now to boost themselves up. Only a given percent are gonna get those biglaw jobs and it can be very competitive at a school in your range. You need to maintain your grades or you're in a very dicey position. Don't be the person in August wishing they could have just studied more in March. Leave it all on the table.

pml87

New

Post by pml87 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:34 pm

law_student_19 wrote:Hey guys,

Posting on here to see what advice people have to keep up the motivation for second semester of 1L year. I go to a T20 and did pretty well my first semester (top 15-20%). I worked my ass off and pretty much only did law school. Although I never would admit this to my friends here, but I'm consumed 24/7 with the thought of making law review. I'd like to land a big law job through OCI so I know this semester is crucial.

However, my motivation this semester has tanked. My outlines are nowhere near where they were at at this point last semester, I am not engaged in the classes (ESPECIALLY con law), and I feel like I'm wasting a lot of time (e.g. writing this post). Last semester I was purely motivated by fear of failure, and that is sadly gone. Worst of all, I have this totally unfounded notion that because I did well first semester, I am entitled to another round of good grades. I have to remind myself that first semester is lowest hanging fruit, and there was a major element of luck in my grades.

Obviously I know I'm not alone in hitting this slump, but I need to snap the hell out of it. Any advice on how to attack the latter part of second semester 1L year?
You haven't figured out the law school game yet. You don't need to listen attentively all the time, nor do you need to do your own outlines. Borrow a couple outlines from the most studious 2L people, and prep based on that. Ofc be strategic and thoughtful about how you study for the tests. Look at past exams and recognize the pattern of the professors. Once you get the hang of it, you don't have to do all the readings or even go to all the class meetings to get good grades. Save the valuable time to socialize, network, and for your sanity.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:39 pm

I would save the corner cutting techniques for 2L. You only go into OCI with one set of grades. You're at a T20. Cutoffs are gonna be tight. A lot of firms won't even look at you if you're not a particular high percentile, oh and these are usually the ones with the largest summer classes, sucks don't it? (try to find past years OCI data on this from your school if you need a new shot of fear). Leave no stone unturned. Go read three chapters of E&Es by the end of the night.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Top 15 - 20% isn't that great. You shouldn't be thinking that you have great grades. Figure out how to work more effectively.
Set yourself a strict study schedule for the rest of the semester. Be sure to include regular breaks and exercise and fun in your plan. Working for hours is not effective. Make yourself take short breaks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hasmith

Bronze

Post by hasmith » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:00 pm

Gut check time, Dupree.

rwe13

New

Post by rwe13 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:53 pm

FWIW Know of at least 2 top 10%ers who didn't get anything through OCI at my T-20 and 2 other law review kids who didn't.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:37 pm

rwe13 wrote:FWIW Know of at least 2 top 10%ers who didn't get anything through OCI at my T-20 and 2 other law review kids who didn't.
Any idea what happened there? Gunning exclusively for DC from UCLA or something like that? Top 10% from a T-20 should be golden for Biglaw, so long as they apply smartly and interview reasonably well.

No dog in the fight, but I feel bad for those people who should've had better outcomes.

rwe13

New

Post by rwe13 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:34 am

UVA2B wrote:
rwe13 wrote:FWIW Know of at least 2 top 10%ers who didn't get anything through OCI at my T-20 and 2 other law review kids who didn't.
Any idea what happened there? Gunning exclusively for DC from UCLA or something like that? Top 10% from a T-20 should be golden for Biglaw, so long as they apply smartly and interview reasonably well.

No dog in the fight, but I feel bad for those people who should've had better outcomes.
Yeah I'm not sure. they were definitely anomalies- I figured it was a mixture of small class sizes and maybe not clicking with the interviewers

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”