Summer housing in DC Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MTTezla

New

Summer housing in DC

Post by MTTezla » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Anyone have any general suggestions for summer housing in DC? Will be at the DOJ if that matters. I was thinking about using Airbnb, but am pretty open minded if people have other ideas.

sadpandayolo

New

Re: Summer housing in DC

Post by sadpandayolo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:26 pm

DOJ so assuming unpaid? If so, personally, I'd live somewhere on the blue/yellow down toward Virginia and commute in. Blue yellow both accessible, cheaper rent than in DC or on the orange line. Maybe up the silver line but don't know much about that direction. Tysons is pretty pricey and still a pretty far commute.

MTTezla

New

Post by MTTezla » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:57 pm

sadpandayolo wrote:DOJ so assuming unpaid? If so, personally, I'd live somewhere on the blue/yellow down toward Virginia and commute in. Blue yellow both accessible, cheaper rent than in DC or on the orange line. Maybe up the silver line but don't know much about that direction. Tysons is pretty pricey and still a pretty far commute.
It's paid, thankfully, so I'm not totally opposed to living somewhere in DC proper. I've never been to the city before and part of me wants to spend the summer closer to the touristy / "night life" things.

Are there any particular neighborhoods you'd recommend on the blue/yellow line?

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:24 pm

MTTezla wrote:
sadpandayolo wrote:DOJ so assuming unpaid? If so, personally, I'd live somewhere on the blue/yellow down toward Virginia and commute in. Blue yellow both accessible, cheaper rent than in DC or on the orange line. Maybe up the silver line but don't know much about that direction. Tysons is pretty pricey and still a pretty far commute.
It's paid, thankfully, so I'm not totally opposed to living somewhere in DC proper. I've never been to the city before and part of me wants to spend the summer closer to the touristy / "night life" things.

Are there any particular neighborhoods you'd recommend on the blue/yellow line?
On blue I'd say north of McPherson Square. On yellow, shaw/u street/columbia heights

I used this site to find a place a few summers ago. Back then it was mostly GULC students offering up summer sublets so it was convenient. I'm not sure how it's changed since then though https://listings.roamer.io/?category=washington-dc
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:44 pm

East of the river is certainly cheaper than the blue/yellow line in NOVA. If the only point to a suggestion is cost savings living at Benning Rd/Minnesota Avenue would certainly be cheaper than Crystal City or whatever

Touristy things happen downtown OP (Smithsonian/metro center), nightlife depends on what kind of nightlife you are looking for but I suspect it'll be U st / Columbia heights.

I really like living in the eastern market/cap hill/hill east area though and its relatively convenient to touristy things, less so to the real night-life-y going out areas but Eastern Market/Marine Barracks area has some pretty good bars and restaurants IMO

as for actually finding housing i have no advice other than craigslist/airbnb/the TLS housing swap thread/whatever

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hasmith

Bronze

Post by hasmith » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:19 pm

I once thought I'd lost my wallet near the eastern market station, was a real bummer. Turned out I didn't lose it - so for a while I had two metro cards.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Removed

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Removed post...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”