Case footnotes---binding? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TierForceOne

New

Case footnotes---binding?

Post by TierForceOne » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Do footnotes of a legal opinion have the same binding effect as the majority opinion?

mjb447

Silver

Re: Case footnotes---binding?

Post by mjb447 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:50 pm

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:30 pm

This is great.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Glorious.

OP: Generally, no. Footnotes are almost always going to be dicta, not the binding holding.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:13 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Glorious.

OP: Generally, no. Footnotes are almost always going to be dicta, not the binding holding.
Counterpoint: some footnotes are "famous" in how important they turned out to be in subsequent decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Glorious.

Counterpoint: some footnotes are "famous" in how important they turned out to be in subsequent decisions.

Carolene Products, footnote 4 springs to mind.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Glorious.

True. I just wouldn't classify them as "binding" in and of themselves. It's the same as all dicta. Its treatment depends on context.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Glorious.

True. I just wouldn't classify them as "binding" in and of themselves. It's the same as all dicta. Its treatment depends on context.
Right, they're not "nonbinding" simply because they're footnotes, but you can still argue that a footnote doesn't announce the "binding" principle of a case, i.e. the holding. Because of the way opinions are drafted, a footnote probably won't ever announce the holding, although you might argue about whether something expressed in a footnote is necessary to the ultimate holding.

(There are also probably other appropriate reasons to cite footnotes as authority. For example, footnotes are often used to address a noncontroversial principle that doesn't need to be addressed in text, e.g., a footnote following a citation to a certain document saying "This Court may take judicial notice of [whatever document]. [Cite to general rules of judicial notice and maybe a case from 30 years ago]." In that situation, citing the recent footnote in a subsequent case where you're asking to take judicial notice of that kind of document would be fine by me.)

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:54 pm

I think the really helpful ones sometimes are tangents bringing up a hypo and saying "well that's not the case here." If your facts are in line with that hypo, you have a perfect argument you can adapt (even though that footnote is technically the "holding" of the case).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”