Handwritten notes in class? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GOODWORKSTE

New

Handwritten notes in class?

Post by GOODWORKSTE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:25 am

Hi all,

Just wondering what the consensus opinion is on hand writing notes in class. I keep seeing people talk about typing their notes, which is obviously important when outlining, but I figured that the typed notes are important for out of class work. So, i guess the question is: is typing notes in class the gospel?

cavalier1138

Re: Handwritten notes in class?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:22 am

Taking notes whichever way is most effective for you is the "gospel".

You should probably type your outline, because handwriting something like that is masochistic. But if you retain information better when writing by hand (and there's a not-insignificant amount of research suggesting that is true for a lot of people), then do that.

GOODWORKSTE

New

Post by GOODWORKSTE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:02 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Taking notes whichever way is most effective for you is the "gospel".

You should probably type your outline, because handwriting something like that is masochistic. But if you retain information better when writing by hand (and there's a not-insignificant amount of research suggesting that is true for a lot of people), then do that.

Over my college career I have experimented with note-taking methods, and I have found that I did much much better in the classes that I wrote notes by hand. I am just worried that I will be setting myself up for failure by doing so in law school.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:20 am

GOODWORKSTE wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Taking notes whichever way is most effective for you is the "gospel".

Over my college career I have experimented with note-taking methods, and I have found that I did much much better in the classes that I wrote notes by hand. I am just worried that I will be setting myself up for failure by doing so in law school.
Not at all. Some old-school professors actually ban laptops in the classroom. Again, you probably want a typed outline for aesthetic and writer's-cramp-related reasons, but you're fine writing by hand in class.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:24 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
GOODWORKSTE wrote:

Not at all. Some old-school professors actually ban laptops in the classroom. Again, you probably want a typed outline for aesthetic and writer's-cramp-related reasons, but you're fine writing by hand in class.
I hand write all my notes and have done alright so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:37 am

GOODWORKSTE wrote:

You're not entering a parallel universe, do whatever works for you.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:25 am

I handwrote and did fine. I think it encouraged me to be selective in what I wrote down, which worked well for how I outline and study.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:31 am

+1 for handwriting notes. Forces you to quickly digest the information since you have time to write only the important details. The few times I took notes by laptop, I found that I wasn't really absorbing any of the material. I was just on autopilot, typing whatever the professor was saying.

Plus, it gives you a reason to type the notes into an outline. And easier to draw diagrams.

But really, do what works best for you. Don't be afraid to experiment for a week or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GOODWORKSTE

New

Post by GOODWORKSTE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:54 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
GOODWORKSTE wrote:

Right, so the outline then takes the form of class notes + reading notes + whats in the supplements?

Just trying to gauge my study / work ethic. I guess it boils down to me wanting to know how to hit the ground running on day 1. I dont want to be scrambling trying to figure out how to outline before its too late, and I happen to think that outlining throughout the semester is probably the best way for me to stay on top of class.

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:50 pm

GOODWORKSTE wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
GOODWORKSTE wrote:

Right, so the outline then takes the form of class notes + reading notes + whats in the supplements?

Just trying to gauge my study / work ethic. I guess it boils down to me wanting to know how to hit the ground running on day 1. I dont want to be scrambling trying to figure out how to outline before its too late, and I happen to think that outlining throughout the semester is probably the best way for me to stay on top of class.
Outlining is exactly what it sounds like, categorizing the law within a given subject area to gain a better understanding and assist you in spotting legal issues. Luckily, the course will likely already be structured in that way to give you a framework for your outline. Don't overthink what you're doing. Presumably you've already figured out how to study. Law school adds the additional burden of how to teach yourself and fill in gaps in your understanding (or gaps in how you're being taught).

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:59 pm

How are you gonna go on twitter if you're handwriting your notes?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:58 pm

GOODWORKSTE wrote: Right, so the outline then takes the form of class notes + reading notes + whats in the supplements?

One thing I would add to the other poster's description of outlining is that you do not want to start outlining on day 1. You have the right sentiment, but it's the wrong approach. You will not be able to identify what needs to go in your outline on day 1 of class. I ended up starting my outlines about 4-6 weeks in to the semester. I feel like the best marker is the moment when you feel like you can identify a group of concepts you've learned in class as a discrete unit. But if you start outlining right away, you'll just end up having to go back and fix it later.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:30 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
GOODWORKSTE wrote: Right, so the outline then takes the form of class notes + reading notes + whats in the supplements?

One thing I would add to the other poster's description of outlining is that you do not want to start outlining on day 1. You have the right sentiment, but it's the wrong approach. You will not be able to identify what needs to go in your outline on day 1 of class. I ended up starting my outlines about 4-6 weeks in to the semester. I feel like the best marker is the moment when you feel like you can identify a group of concepts you've learned in class as a discrete unit. But if you start outlining right away, you'll just end up having to go back and fix it later.
+1. It's not necessary to wait until studying starts in earnest, but trying to outline beginning on day 1 is not going to be very helpful. Plus, if you do handwrite, you'll probably already be condensing an hour or so of class into a few paragraphs of salient-seeming points, so it won't be too labor intensive to go back and do those from the beginning.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:31 am

mjb447 wrote:I handwrote and did fine. I think it encouraged me to be selective in what I wrote down, which worked well for how I outline and study.
This was all true for me.

Also, don't outline early in your first semester of 1L. You're not going to know what you're doing. Truthfully, I don't outline until a few days before the exam. But that way of doing things may not work for most people. Do what you think will work for you.(but do wait a couple months before you start outlining as a first-semester 1L)

GOODWORKSTE

New

Post by GOODWORKSTE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:57 am

thanks all to the advice!

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...