importance of 1L internships Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nuseri134

New

importance of 1L internships

Post by nuseri134 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:35 am

(please don't quote)

hi all, i'm just trying to get a better understanding of how 1L internships work, and more to the point, how they are looked at by firms in 2L OCI. i'm thinking especially of what they mean for students at the t3 or t5 level....how important is it for you to have a 'prestigious' internship in that summer between 1L and 2L? if it is not 'prestigious', will the top firms have a problem with that, even if the internship is 'law related'?

twenty

Gold

Re: importance of 1L internships

Post by twenty » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:13 am

nuseri134 wrote:how they are looked at by firms
They'll probably be a good place for you to talk about the kind of work you did during OCI.
i'm thinking especially of what they mean for students at the t3 or t5 level
as in chicago and columbia (BUT NOT NYU) or as in chapman and people's college of law?
....how important is it for you to have a 'prestigious' internship in that summer between 1L and 2L?
not very.
if it is not 'prestigious', will the top firms have a problem with that, even if the internship is 'law related'?
not really.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:39 am

twenty wrote:
nuseri134 wrote:how they are looked at by firms
They'll probably be a good place for you to talk about the kind of work you did during OCI.
i'm thinking especially of what they mean for students at the t3 or t5 level
as in chicago and columbia (BUT NOT NYU) or as in chapman and people's college of law?
....how important is it for you to have a 'prestigious' internship in that summer between 1L and 2L?
not very.
if it is not 'prestigious', will the top firms have a problem with that, even if the internship is 'law related'?
not really.
Is there really a difference?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:42 am

There are lots of 1L internships with "prestigious" employers, but that's not really the same as a "prestigious internship."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”