Public defender 1L internship Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ballonem

New

Public defender 1L internship

Post by ballonem » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Last edited by ballonem on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Public defender 1L internship

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:32 am

Hiring is competitive, and my understanding is that you need to apply yesterday. I know that Bronx Defenders is doing a large chunk of their interviewing today and tomorrow. Brooklyn Defenders may have already filled a bunch of positions. I'm not sure of the schedule for New Orleans or San Francisco, but the more competitive offices are always going to fill up earlier in the cycle.

Also, you should consider Alaska. I know a lot of career PDs who intern there their first year, because they actually let summer interns do serious work.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:15 am

Apply now. BxD and OPD are typically done with hiring 1L summers after a career fair that happens today and tomorrow

I know SF still has some open spots so apply there
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Brooklyn Defenders may have already filled a bunch of positions. .
For whatever reason, they seem to only be hiring 1L summers in family defense practice
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ballonem

New

Post by ballonem » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks for the replies--I sent all of my apps out today, so we'll see what happens.

Have any of you heard good things about these offices? And are PD offices known for hiring 1L interns?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:08 pm

ballonem wrote:Thanks for the replies--I sent all of my apps out today, so we'll see what happens.

Have any of you heard good things about these offices? And are PD offices known for hiring 1L interns?
Yes, all those places are known as top PD offices, and they are very difficult places to get hired. In terms of 1L summer, my understanding is that PDs prioritize 2Ls and then fill any remaining spots with 1L applicants, so it can vary from year to year. But they do take on 1Ls every year, as far as I know.

ballonem

New

Post by ballonem » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:18 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
ballonem wrote:Thanks for the replies--I sent all of my apps out today, so we'll see what happens.

Yes, all those places are known as top PD offices, and they are very difficult places to get hired. In terms of 1L summer, my understanding is that PDs prioritize 2Ls and then fill any remaining spots with 1L applicants, so it can vary from year to year. But they do take on 1Ls every year, as far as I know.
Thanks! I should have phrased my second question better--I meant, if you secure an internship 1L with one of those offices, how often does that lead to a permanent job offer?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:30 pm

Funding is often a factor that dictates whether or not & how many offers are made.

Usually, demonstrated interest & foreign language proficiency will get one's resume strong consideration.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:36 pm

ballonem wrote:Thanks! I should have phrased my second question better--I meant, if you secure an internship 1L with one of those offices, how often does that lead to a permanent job offer?
Oh, it has very little to do with it.

As mentioned, funding dictates most permanent job offers. These offices aren't big law firms. They can't afford to give you an offer of future employment when their funding is provided at the whims of the legislature. But if your concern is working with one of these offices long-term, you should not pin all of your hopes on 1L summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:44 pm

OP: I just reread your original post in this thread.

Do you have any foreign language ability ?

Any demonstrated interest in public defender/criminal defense work ?

Which PD offices/organizations are considered to be the best in the country ?

Also, are you willing to work for free during your 1L externship ?

PD hiring is very competitive.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:24 pm

You should also look into San Diego County PD, Colorado State PD, and Alameda County PD

Colorado may have one of the healthiest PD systems in the country, they hire many people every year, and interns have a much better chance at getting hired

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with SF's office. They are very competitive, and rarely hire fresh graduates. Even if you do great and they want you for 2L summer you still probably won't get a job with them.

If you have taken evidence in 1L or will take it in 1L summer, some offices will let you conduct evidentiary hearings. I took evidence 1L summer while I was interning with San Diego and I was able to do some hearings. That gave me a leg up in 2L summer internships. And now I'm a colorado state PD.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Colorado has a statewide system that is regarded as the best in the nation.

If fluent or proficient in Spanish, you'll get more offers than you ever imagined in just about any location--but especially NYC & Colorado.

crescentstars

Bronze

Post by crescentstars » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:45 am

I'm also a 1L planning to do PD work this summer -- has anyone heard anything about King County OPD (Seattle)? Any thoughts about the offices/divisions? I got the sense that they're a really good place for training and that they're good for 1Ls, but I can't find much info on TLS from after the restructuring a few years back.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”