Last semester of 3Lol: I just can't anymore. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AT9

Gold

Re: Last semester of 3Lol: I just can't anymore.

Post by AT9 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:43 am

lawman84 wrote:
AT9 wrote:I'd be curious to see a breakdown by school rank of students who feels like third year is #3LOL vs. an extension of 2L. I go to a T50 school and 3L very much feels like 2L, even though I have an offer. Most of the classes here are curved and require a lot of work, plus lots of people are still hunting for jobs. And because I'm at a lower ranked school, I feel extra pressure to not let my grades slip. Those factors, combined with 10-20+ hours of LR work each week, make 3L pretty miserable.

The people I know at top schools seem to enjoy 3L more because (1) more people already have jobs, (2) rankings matter less with a more prestigious degree, and (3) I assume the grading policies are less absurd at most T14s. For 0Ls: here's one more reason to retake.
Are you on E-Board or something? I barely did LR work during the fall, and I am not doing any in the spring. My classes are curved, though, which sucks.
Yeah I'm on a editing-heavy board position which is part of the issue.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Transfers gonna transf and ESTEEMED REVIEWERS of THE LAW gonna review the law esteemedly

That's just how these things have gone since the beginning of time

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 pm

Law Review seems like the biggest scam ever created. Do a bunch of work for Professors, that they should do themselves on their very important contributions to legal scholarship, for free... and in exchange you get a gold star.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:45 pm

4 weeks of classes to go. Just got back from spring break and I dread this place more than before I left for break. This is such bs. I hate it here. I'm broke. I commute from a ways away for pointless lectures. I'm praying to God for strength to get through this without flipping out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brorepresentation1

New

Post by brorepresentation1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:53 pm

no one in my classes care about anything. I care about nothing. Why does this year exist?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Yo guys I've billed 250 hours the past 4 weeks and weekends don't exist any more.

Stay in school kids.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:Yo guys I've billed 250 hours the past 4 weeks and weekends don't exist any more.

Stay in school kids.

proleteriate

New

Post by proleteriate » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 pm

cannibal ox wrote:my lowly T15 qualifies as a "top school" though.
If Georgetown? Then no, it does not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:21 pm

proleteriate wrote:
Interesting choice for a first post.

I wrote that before UT got elevated to the ESTEEMED RANKS of the T14. Which has since become the T13. So I'm on the outside looking in, yet again.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:08 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
proleteriate wrote:

I wrote that before UT got elevated to the ESTEEMED RANKS of the T14. Which has since become the T13. So I'm on the outside looking in, yet again.
It's only the T13 if you let it be bro

proleteriate

New

Post by proleteriate » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:53 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
proleteriate wrote:

lol i'm just an outsider marveling at the lunacy of this whole thing. Totally kidding. Comparison btw UT and Georgetown are pointless and irrelevant.

mehiguess

Bronze

Post by mehiguess » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:07 pm

star fox wrote:
Spartan_Alum_12 wrote:
lawhopeful100 wrote:As a 3L I was going out like three nights every week and skipping as many classes as I could. Now after like five months into working my only regret is not slacking off even more. Enjoy your last semester.
Yep. Bar prep and work will give you about a quarter of the free time as 3L (except for the 2 weeks around finals) unless you're crazy involved with extra curriculars. The only thing that sucks about 3L (not related to finding a job if that applies) is being broke and planning for bar/moving costs.
Speaking of, when do firms give out that bar money?
Bar money?? My firm made no mention of this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:10 pm

Just booked my bar trip flight tonight instead of doing anything school-related. 8)

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:46 pm

Mainlining redbull as if it contains magical powers that will possess me to do an assignment I need to do. Can't care. Opening the can of redbull was already too much work. Commencement - please come sooner.

Edit: Just re-read this, and not even going to try to make it seem less pathetic.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Sprout wrote:Mainlining redbull as if it contains magical powers that will possess me to do an assignment I need to do. Can't care. Opening the can of redbull was already too much work. Commencement - please come sooner.

Edit: Just re-read this, and not even going to try to make it seem less pathetic.
Nah, I think we can all relate to this.

felinafelina

Bronze

Post by felinafelina » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:46 am

I can't survive 3L anymore. I absolutely hate being a student. I'm also totally paranoid, so I don't want to skip too much but have already skipped the amount of classes the ABA rule allows (which is 7 for each class for me). Trying to force myself not to skip anymore is brutal. When I go I spend the entire time on reddit anyways.

On top of that my paranoia kicks in wrt bar prep and now I'm trying to do the BARBRI early start, and catch up on the material I haven't learned for the first half of the semester.
This is also what I did 2L, but in 2L I still cared about having good grades, but now I just care about graduating, so the motivation to study at all is at an all-time low.

I know work will be a lot more brutal, but 1) at least I'll get paid and 2) it won't feel completely pointless since it's, ya know, my career, instead of a transcript. Might still feel pointless at times but probably (hopefully?) not as pointless as this.

Only 57 days until graduation though!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:11 am

felinafelina wrote:I can't survive 3L anymore. I absolutely hate being a student. I'm also totally paranoid, so I don't want to skip too much but have already skipped the amount of classes the ABA rule allows (which is 7 for each class for me). Trying to force myself not to skip anymore is brutal. When I go I spend the entire time on reddit anyways.

On top of that my paranoia kicks in wrt bar prep and now I'm trying to do the BARBRI early start, and catch up on the material I haven't learned for the first half of the semester.
This is also what I did 2L, but in 2L I still cared about having good grades, but now I just care about graduating, so the motivation to study at all is at an all-time low.

I know work will be a lot more brutal, but 1) at least I'll get paid and 2) it won't feel completely pointless since it's, ya know, my career, instead of a transcript. Might still feel pointless at times but probably (hopefully?) not as pointless as this.

Only 57 days until graduation though!
Definitely feel you on this. I was doing some early start for like 5 weeks every Tuesday but then I stopped in an attempt to "relax" and "enjoy" my final month as a student. As has been said on this thread, early bar prep can't hurt but it's not essential either so I wouldn't kill yourself over it..... I also know what you mean about working. I really just want to get off this student budget and feel like a real adult as well. On top of that, the inner feeling of productivity we all crave has a better chance to resurface during work as opposed to just "milking the clock" on being a student.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:05 am

Not dropping a class with graded cold-calls may well be the most stupid thing I've done in law school. I have no idea how I thought this was a good idea for the final semester of 3L. It's also going to be my very last law school class since it's the only one I have on Friday.

nunumaster

Silver

Post by nunumaster » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:29 am

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:04 am

Wise words from Quavo: "Never let another man ride your wave. Nope. Michael Phelps with the swim moves. Michael Jordan with the tennis shoes."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:38 pm

Had my last day of classes Thursday. Picked up my cap and gown for graduation today. It's so surreal we're almost at the end here!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:54 pm

I have over 3 weeks of class left what the fuck

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:10 pm

I have 4 finals from April 18th- May 1st. Graduation is May 8th!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”