Last semester of 3Lol: I just can't anymore. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Young Marino

Silver

Last semester of 3Lol: I just can't anymore.

Post by Young Marino » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:47 pm

The last lap. The last go 'round. The last hoorah. However you'd like to put it, congratulations to my fellow 3Ls on getting to this point and running out the clock on law school. This is essentially the 4-minute drill.

I hope I am not alone but I really can't take anything seriously school wise anymore. I am doing the bare minimum not to fail at this point. Are you fellow 3Ls going through a similar experience? Just not giving a crap? I pretty much have a job after graduation and all I have to do is pass the bar. I'm currently enrolled in 14 credits but I just can't bring myself to give a crap about any of them. I'm in a 'mandatory' bar exam course that goes over a bar topic each week but I can't even take that seriously. I have thought about doing Barbri early start but I can't even bring myself to do that...

I guess my question is: Am I making a mistake by taking this approach? I just feel so done with school and until May comes around, I want to put minimal effort into everything school wise.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Re: Last semester of 3Lol: I just can't anymore.

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:56 pm

What else would you do with all your time?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:45 pm

So are you going to work for the DAs office?

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:47 am

I do have that offer on the table but I may not take it. Might work for the firm I'm currently clerk in at.... That's besides the point of this thread. Is anyone else feeling the need to completely slack or all you all getting a head start on bar prep?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:50 am

Yes, probably virtually everyone. Look at the 3L thread in the lounge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:02 am

Young Marino wrote:a[re] you all getting a head start on bar prep?
lol

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:17 pm

It's fucking torture. I'm also taking a bar prep course (for the MBE topics), but I'm thoroughly enjoying it because it has an important purpose. My attitude is that if I'm not careful I could fail the bar and ... god no. I want to be done. I never want to set foot in another classroom of any kind ever again, whether it's for bar prep or goddamn pottery making.

Seven fucking classes to carve out my final 13 units. It is hell until the very end.

OhgodIhatelawschool.

But then I remind myself that it's almost over and I can smile about it. I've slogged this far and haven't died, so I'll survive 11 more weeks. But put me down as one of those who hated the experience and will never, ever fondly look back on it.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:01 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:It's fucking torture. I'm also taking a bar prep course (for the MBE topics), but I'm thoroughly enjoying it because it has an important purpose. My attitude is that if I'm not careful I could fail the bar and ... god no. I want to be done. I never want to set foot in another classroom of any kind ever again, whether it's for bar prep or goddamn pottery making.

Seven fucking classes to carve out my final 13 units. It is hell until the very end.

OhgodIhatelawschool.

But then I remind myself that it's almost over and I can smile about it. I've slogged this far and haven't died, so I'll survive 11 more weeks. But put me down as one of those who hated the experience and will never, ever fondly look back on it.
Are we the same person? There really couldn't be a more accurate description of my own feelings.

Oh, and to answer OP more directly, yes, I am going through a similar experience. For me, the apathy kicked in 2L year and only accelerated to peak don't-give-a-fuck by the start of 3L. I simply cannot bring myself to care about school any more beyond the basic concern of passing and graduating. It's all just too damn pointless - I feel like my life is in a holding pattern.

I am thinking of getting an early start on Bar preparation (both the actual studying and the paperwork). Passing the bar is the only thing I really care about right now.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:07 pm

hate the law, but love the free time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:59 pm

As a 3L I was going out like three nights every week and skipping as many classes as I could. Now after like five months into working my only regret is not slacking off even more. Enjoy your last semester.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:03 pm

If you're hating life now I've got sour news for you friends

mudiverse

Bronze

Post by mudiverse » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Lmao @ students taking trivial classes with loads of free time just complaining.

Wish you all the best of luck with your future work-life balance.

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:34 pm

lawhopeful100 wrote:As a 3L I was going out like three nights every week and skipping as many classes as I could. Now after like five months into working my only regret is not slacking off even more. Enjoy your last semester.
Yep. Bar prep and work will give you about a quarter of the free time as 3L (except for the 2 weeks around finals) unless you're crazy involved with extra curriculars. The only thing that sucks about 3L (not related to finding a job if that applies) is being broke and planning for bar/moving costs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anonanonny

New

Post by anonanonny » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:13 pm

mudiverse wrote:Lmao @ students taking trivial classes with loads of free time just complaining.

IMO comments like this don't help much... If you aren't in law school you barely have room to speak of "trivial" classes. You'll feel the same way as OP some day.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Spartan_Alum_12 wrote:
lawhopeful100 wrote:As a 3L I was going out like three nights every week and skipping as many classes as I could. Now after like five months into working my only regret is not slacking off even more. Enjoy your last semester.
Yep. Bar prep and work will give you about a quarter of the free time as 3L (except for the 2 weeks around finals) unless you're crazy involved with extra curriculars. The only thing that sucks about 3L (not related to finding a job if that applies) is being broke and planning for bar/moving costs.
Speaking of, when do firms give out that bar money?

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:45 pm

star fox wrote:
Spartan_Alum_12 wrote:
I'm not sure. I don't work in big law and my firm didn't pay for mine, hence being broke and having to plan for it.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:41 am

anonanonny wrote:
mudiverse wrote:Lmao @ students taking trivial classes with loads of free time just complaining.

IMO comments like this don't help much... If you aren't in law school you barely have room to speak of "trivial" classes. You'll feel the same way as OP some day.
I'm in law school. I'm loving 3L. I have so much free time. I don't know what you guys are complaining about. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DCESQ

New

Post by DCESQ » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:48 am

star fox wrote:
Spartan_Alum_12 wrote:
We got a letter a couple weeks ago saying it would be distributed in late June. Going to be a huge lifesaver.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:02 am

anonanonny wrote:

Also the law student forum is for law students. 0Ls aren't allowed to post here.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Ughhhhh. 11 weeks remain. Stay focused. I get my assignments in but don't care of it's right or wrong. I dedicate every Tuesday to bar prep through Barbri early start and that's about the only thing I take seriously. I skipped class last Wednesday to go golfing and hitting the driving range 3 times a week is about the only thing keeping me sane... Ughhhhhhhhh.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:15 am

You even in law school yet? Is this a 0L trying to lecture 3Ls on BigLaw work-life balance and how they should feel about it (as though they don't have enough experience to generate some sort of conclusion on this themselves, and are not at a bare minimum more qualified to do so than he is)?

Seriously, who man's is this?
lawman84 wrote:
anonanonny wrote:

I'm in law school. I'm loving 3L. I have so much free time. I don't know what you guys are complaining about. :lol:
First, I don't really enjoy my free time in law school. Aside from being too broke to really make the most of it, there are other obligations (to people close to me) I simply can't afford to satisfy as a broke law student, and that inability is troubling. There are also things I want to do with my life (things that I actually would find enjoyable) that I cannot do as a law student. I'd probably be enjoying this a lot more if I came from a bit more money, but I don't and I'm not, so there you have it.

Second, I genuinely hate school. I don't like classes, classrooms, or anything really associated with student life. It depresses me. I dread going to class even when it's trivial. Maybe I'm just burnt out after being a student all these years (I didn't have this problem in undergrad), but the bottom line is that I just can't stand being a student anymore. I find the law school environment constricting and depressing and I don't like being surrounded by it. I'm not an academic and I'm not comfortable here.

Third, things are boring. I enjoyed work in large part because I was forced to learn material I found interesting and relevant, as well as push myself in ways I found daunting but productive. School just feels like I'm there to be there, jumping through a bunch of largely meaningless hoops on my way to where I really want to be. There seems to be no real point other than to complete credit requirements and rack up debt. I'll trade my free time (which I can't really fully enjoy right now anyway) for an actual job in which I do work that a) I care more about and b) is more meaningful and also relevant to my life and interests than 3L BS.

But hey, this is just me. I don't claim to speak for anyone else and I know plenty of people who are having the time of their lives in 3LOL. I'm glad for them, but they're not me and that's OK. To each their own. I will continue to count the days until I get out of here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:46 am

Futuregohan14 wrote:

You even in law school yet? Is this a 0L trying to lecture 3Ls on BigLaw work-life balance and how they should feel about it (as though they don't have enough experience to generate some sort of conclusion on this themselves, and are not at a bare minimum more qualified to do so than he is)?

Seriously, who man's is this?
lawman84 wrote:
anonanonny wrote:

First, I don't really enjoy my free time in law school. Aside from being too broke to really make the most of it, there are other obligations (to people close to me) I simply can't afford to satisfy as a broke law student, and that inability is troubling. There are also things I want to do with my life (things that I actually would find enjoyable) that I cannot do as a law student. I'd probably be enjoying this a lot more if I came from a bit more money, but I don't and I'm not, so there you have it.

Second, I genuinely hate school. I don't like classes, classrooms, or anything really associated with student life. It depresses me. I dread going to class even when it's trivial. Maybe I'm just burnt out after being a student all these years (I didn't have this problem in undergrad), but the bottom line is that I just can't stand being a student anymore. I find the law school environment constricting and depressing and I don't like being surrounded by it. I'm not an academic and I'm not comfortable here.

Third, things are boring. I enjoyed work in large part because I was forced to learn material I found interesting and relevant, as well as push myself in ways I found daunting but productive. School just feels like I'm there to be there, jumping through a bunch of largely meaningless hoops on my way to where I really want to be. There seems to be no real point other than to complete credit requirements and rack up debt. I'll trade my free time (which I can't really fully enjoy right now anyway) for an actual job in which I do work that a) I care more about and b) is more meaningful and also relevant to my life and interests than 3L BS.

But hey, this is just me. I don't claim to speak for anyone else and I know plenty of people who are having the time of their lives in 3LOL. I'm glad for them, but they're not me and that's OK. To each their own. I will continue to count the days until I get out of here.
I feel the same way. "Free time" is never free. No money to go out and do the things I really want so I'm restricted to watching Netflix or getting some exercise in. It's the same type of "free time" that I've had for the past 8 years. Just ready for the next step.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:26 pm

Young Marino wrote:
Futuregohan14 wrote:I feel the same way. "Free time" is never free. No money to go out and do the things I really want so I'm restricted to watching Netflix or getting some exercise in. It's the same type of "free time" that I've had for the past 8 years. Just ready for the next step.
Same here. I don't allow myself too much free time because Bar Exam. Many of my classmates seem outright complacent, as if it's a given. But every year there are people who everyone just knows is a lock--that the bar is a minor formality for them to skip through on the way to new lawyerly awesomeness. Then the results come out in November and and there's a collective hushed "WTF?"

So yeah. There'll be free time after.

The ability to take a few weeks off after the bar, clean up loose ends, remake contact with non-lawschool people, enjoy a Super Bowl party next year, etc.

But I'm actually concerned that I won't ever get back to a true state of normalcy. I liked myself before law school, but I am a grouchy, often bitter SOB these days. Maybe it's the accumulated stress and worry of going through this for 3 years and the prospect of it not being over even then.

Whatever. I ate a burrito two hours ago and man, I don't feel so good. Consider that a footnote for my law school career.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:59 am

I fucking loved 3L. Almost every day of it, except meeting some bullshit administrative requirements and waking up on a saturday at some ungodly hour to take the stupid MPRE. Y'all saying you hope its over and shit just don't know

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:00 am

jbagelboy wrote:I fucking loved 3L. Almost every day of it, except meeting some bullshit administrative requirements and waking up on a saturday at some ungodly hour to take the stupid MPRE. Y'all saying you hope its over and shit just don't know
I much prefer my current life to 3L and don't miss it at all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”