1L bad grades Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shouganai3268

New

1L bad grades

Post by shouganai3268 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:15 am

I'm an AA male and I just finished my first semester at a T30 with a 3.1 GPA (LRW B+, Torts B+, Crim B, Civ Pro B). The median here is a 3.3. Do I have any chance at being employed by a big law firm down the road, or are my chances completely ruined?
Last edited by shouganai3268 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: 1L bad grades

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:36 am

figure out why you didn't do well; then do better. friend got job at 2L V2 after a shitty 1st semester cuz of a bombass 2nd semester. it's never too late.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:15 am

shouganai3268 wrote:I'm an AA male and I just finished my first semester at a T30 with a 3.1 GPA (LRW B+, Torts B+, Crim B, Civ Pro B). The median here is a 3.3. Do I have any chance at being employed by a big law firm down the road, or are my chances completely ruined?
I totally understand your feelings, and I echo the post above. This semester is only half of your first year and only 1/6 of your GPA. Assess what didn't go well last semester and try a different approach. Perhaps you could meet with your professors and go over your exams with them to get some feedback on why you didn't get the A in those classes. I know the professors here at UVA are very open to that to help you improve. Law school exams are a hard skill to learn.

As far as employment, you will probably have to rely a bit more on your networking skills to help overcome a lower GPA. Go to receptions and do anything you can to meet people at the firms you are interested in. If you work hard enough, I'm sure you can accomplish your goals.

Take a deep breath and focus on this semester. A lot of upperclassmen here have told me stories about having a bad first semester and completely killing it the second semester and drastically improving their GPA. Keep your head up. You can do it!

brorepresentation1

New

Post by brorepresentation1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:24 pm

come back after your summer legal internship in Biglaw and answer this question

axel.foley

Bronze

Post by axel.foley » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:59 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:figure out why you didn't do well; then do better. friend got job at 2L V2 after a shitty 1st semester cuz of a bombass 2nd semester. it's never too late.
So he got a job at Cravath?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:05 pm

brorepresentation1 wrote:come back after your summer legal internship in Biglaw and answer this question
don't do this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”