OCI Women's Suit Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
CoLolliRol

New

OCI Women's Suit Question

Post by CoLolliRol » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:59 am

Does it matter for women if my suit has one vs two buttons?

My friend said that one button suits are viewed as informal. The reason I ask is because I am having a hard time finding a two button suit jacket at a descent price.

rcharter1978

Gold

Re: OCI Women's Suit Question

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:58 am

CoLolliRol wrote:Does it matter for women if my suit has one vs two buttons?

My friend said that one button suits are viewed as informal. The reason I ask is because I am having a hard time finding a two button suit jacket at a descent price.
I don't know about all that. I think the bigger issue is that one button suits can look messy on chesty women. I say this as a chesty woman myself. If its all you can find in your budget though, its what you'll have to go with.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I would try TJ Maxx, Burlington, Nordstrom Rack, or a Macy's one day sale. I know I have a two button suit from one of those places, but I can't remember where.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:32 am

I don't think rules for women's suits are really clear enough that anything like that is going to matter (I think maybe in contrast with men's suits, where there are a lot more widely-agreed upon norms). As long as it fits and suits you and is otherwise appropriate (so, you know, not red or green or something) number of buttons isn't going to matter.

anonanonny

New

Post by anonanonny » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:48 pm

I am rather "chesty" too and have never had an issue with one button suits. Landed a job through OCI just fine. The key with them is to make sure the size is appropriate so that your clothing doesn't become distracting. Also be mindful of how the suit fits you when you sit down. Sounds strange but one button suits can get weird once you sit down if the size isn't right.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”