Weird I'm a 1L and Not Studying? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
hairbear7

Silver

Re: Weird I'm a 1L and Not Studying?

Post by hairbear7 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:12 pm

this got weird.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:20 pm

clshopeful wrote:
clshopeful wrote:irrelevant note: anyone else notice this stuff at school? Kids acting like they're so cool, acting overly stressed, saying stupid shit like "ill sue you for battery!" to someone that bumps into them...

Example: in civ pro, we went over Offensive Non Mutual Collateral Estoppel. Crazy name, but another simple concept, not difficult at ALL to understand. Sure enough, I get home, go on facebook, and a girl has made her status : Offensive nonmutual collateral estoppel... oh civil procedure how difficult you are"

I saw this and just thought... Great.. she takes the "cool sounding name" that would have any layperson puzzled and presents it to her FB friends to show them up. "Wow, she's so ambitious and smart, look at what she's learning, I don't even have a CLUE what that is!"

She makes that her status, and I was so relieved when a guy commented: "It's not that difficult... different Plaintiffs use something that was resolved in a prior trial against the same Defendant" to where she responds "I know haha"

someone, please share my hatred of this type of bullshit -- anyone?
Trying to change the subject after getting called out. Classic

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:46 pm

1) you went to law school. Of course people make dumb law-related jokes and inflate the significance of what they're doing.

2) one person per account, please.

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:2) one person per account, please.
this has to be the first time this "problem" has come up before

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:17 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
clshopeful wrote:irrelevant note: anyone else notice this stuff at school? Kids acting like they're so cool, acting overly stressed, saying stupid shit like "ill sue you for battery!" to someone that bumps into them...

Example: in civ pro, we went over Offensive Non Mutual Collateral Estoppel. Crazy name, but another simple concept, not difficult at ALL to understand. Sure enough, I get home, go on facebook, and a girl has made her status : Offensive nonmutual collateral estoppel... oh civil procedure how difficult you are"

I saw this and just thought... Great.. she takes the "cool sounding name" that would have any layperson puzzled and presents it to her FB friends to show them up. "Wow, she's so ambitious and smart, look at what she's learning, I don't even have a CLUE what that is!"

She makes that her status, and I was so relieved when a guy commented: "It's not that difficult... different Plaintiffs use something that was resolved in a prior trial against the same Defendant" to where she responds "I know haha"

someone, please share my hatred of this type of bullshit -- anyone?
Trying to change the subject after getting called out. Classic

I mean.. what else is there to say? Not going to sit on that subject that means nothing to me; would rather talk about something I want to talk about. Lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:24 pm

check is in the mail; my girlfriend goes to a different school; my brother was using my account

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:04 pm

xael wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:2) one person per account, please.
this has to be the first time this "problem" has come up before
Cut him some slack, guys. He's just a poor guy who has to use a TLS account handed down to him by an older sibling because they can't afford two.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:27 pm

They probably share a family hotmail account.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:25 am

It's actually not that weird to not be super intensely studying during the exam period as a 1L. The really rough ~3 weeks of studying for most people are Thanksgiving - week before finals / easter - week before finals. I had to study more during the actual finals period as a 2L and now 3L since I didn't really do any all semester.

Also Nony, other people have posted from this moniker before (jbagelboy). I/we wasn't/weren't aware that was a rule. Oh well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:55 am

I took your approach in 1L. I figured I'd end up at median if I did so. I did, in fact, end up at median. No regrets, but also never had the delusion that I'd be top of class either.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm not following the weird undercurrents and OP's apparent duality of identity, so I'm going to respond as if OP was a real person.

OP - you are not testing your knowledge. It is fine to review your outline and say "yeah I know that," but (1) you might be wrong and not even realize it because you think you are right, and (2) that is very different than APPLYING that knowledge to a problem, which is a skill that must be practiced at least a little. Plus, until you test yourself you won't realize how much you actually DO NOT really know. What you should be doing is running practice tests and, when you get something wrong, focus on that topic to correct your weakness on that topic. I don't think you are afraid of failing enough. I think confidence going into exam season is not good, as it will lull you into a false sense of security. I aced all my 1L exams, but walking out of my exams I was not so confident, and I was super shocked when the A's rolled in. I was outlining and practice testing up to the night before all my exams (that was my style--didn't outline anything until after Thanksgiving, then worked like 16 hour days through each exam, only taking off the afternoons / evenings following an exam).

YOU CANNOT OVER PREPARE, BUT YOU SURE AS HELL CAN UNDER PREPARE. I suspect you are more under prepared than you realize. But time will tell, good luck.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Kinky John wrote:check is in the mail; my girlfriend goes to a different school; my brother was using my account
.......I'm just holding that package for a guy......she isn't a hooker, she is just a friend I give money to after we have sex.......I didn't pack my own luggage officer, I have no idea how that hash got in there......

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:54 pm

jbagelboy wrote:It's actually not that weird to not be super intensely studying during the exam period as a 1L. The really rough ~3 weeks of studying for most people are Thanksgiving - week before finals / easter - week before finals. I had to study more during the actual finals period as a 2L and now 3L since I didn't really do any all semester.

Also Nony, other people have posted from this moniker before (jbagelboy). I/we wasn't/weren't aware that was a rule. Oh well.
weird...I actually knew a guy in high school that delivered bagels whose name started with a j, people called him bagel boy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Update: Grades in. A, A, A-, A-, used TLS class rank estimator and previous year percentiles. Came out to be top 2.5%.... Guess my intuition was right...I was well prepared without sitting in the library for 12hrs a day. Studied smart, and I feel like I just have an aptitude for the law/writing.

JonTheMandamus

New

Post by JonTheMandamus » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:53 pm

Not worried that winter is coming because of this awesome flame thread.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:58 pm

clshopeful wrote:Update: Grades in. A, A, A-, A-, used TLS class rank estimator and previous year percentiles. Came out to be top 2.5%.... Guess my intuition was right...I was well prepared without sitting in the library for 12hrs a day. Studied smart, and I feel like I just have an aptitude for the law/writing.
How did your brother do?

merlin-

New

Post by merlin- » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:12 pm

clshopeful wrote:Update: Grades in. A, A, A-, A-, used TLS class rank estimator and previous year percentiles. Came out to be top 2.5%.... Guess my intuition was right...I was well prepared without sitting in the library for 12hrs a day. Studied smart, and I feel like I just have an aptitude for the law/writing.
T1-TTT? Not T14 right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:16 pm

Once upon a time I would wonder how such a disproportionate number of people were getting straight A's. Don't worry about lying to people on TLS, but remember that future employers may want an actual transcript from your school, and won't just take your word that you're in the top 2.5% of the class. Even when you regale them with tales of your legal brilliance, as demonstrated by your ability to be in the top 2.5% of the class without even breaking a sweat.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:58 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Once upon a time I would wonder how such a disproportionate number of people were getting straight A's. Don't worry about lying to people on TLS, but remember that future employers may want an actual transcript from your school, and won't just take your word that you're in the top 2.5% of the class. Even when you regale them with tales of your legal brilliance, as demonstrated by your ability to be in the top 2.5% of the class without even breaking a sweat.
Lol... I can DM you my transcript if you really want

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:59 pm

merlin- wrote:
T1-TTT? Not T14 right?

TT ranked 110 by USNews

merlin-

New

Post by merlin- » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:03 pm

clshopeful wrote:
merlin- wrote:
T1-TTT? Not T14 right?

TT ranked 110 by USNews
That explains "it"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:07 pm

clshopeful wrote:
merlin- wrote:
T1-TTT? Not T14 right?

TT ranked 110 by USNews
If you're really at Gonzaga, are you on a full ride? Because it seems like 2.3% of Gonzaga students cop "big law" or a federal clerkship, so top 2.5% may leave you jobless...I would hustle to turn that A- into an A next semester and network your ass off. Good luck, OP

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:46 pm

Interesting since he was previously across the state at Seattle U. Unless this is his brother.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

merlin-

New

Post by merlin- » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:35 am

BVest wrote:Interesting since he was previously across the state at Seattle U. Unless this is his brother.
Not to mention that he went from cls (4) hopeful to 110 in the ranking.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:27 am

clshopeful wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
Lol... I can DM you my transcript if you really want
I have even less interest in your doctored transcripts than your made up grades.

Will say though that in my experience companies/government entities will request the transcript directly from my school. So you may want to prepare your Ferris Bueller-esque plan now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”