Summer at a firm or summer at Yosemite NP Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dietcoke1

Silver

Re: Summer at a firm or summer at Yosemite NP

Post by dietcoke1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:37 pm

this is awesome

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:59 pm

ffemt107 wrote:Subsequent Update:

My Yosemite internship landed me the job I went to law school for: I've been hired as a deputy attorney general; I will be an environmental prosecutor for my home state following the conclusion of my clerkship. During my three interviews for the DAG job (which saw hundreds of applicants), the interviewers' questioning focused on Yosemite. Discussing the internship allowed me to convey my passion and my unparalleled substantive experience in the park impressed my interviewers.

If you get the opportunity, can afford it, and are so inclined to dedicate your career to public interest law, go to Yosemite.
Hey OP, congrats! Glad to see you stuck to your guns and proved others wrong. I probably would have acted differently since I have significant debts but I am happy you can pursue your passion.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Congrats!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Retake

ffemt107

New

Post by ffemt107 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:03 pm

BigZuck wrote:Retake
Realtalk: I honestly wish I would've pushed as hard for the LSAT as I did for the bar. I did minimum 16 hours every day and scored in the top 3% on the bar. For the LSAT, I studied a few hours/week out of a Princeton Rev book for about a month. But it did me well enough I suppose. Law school was almost free and I got my dream job.

I should note, a DAG has 25 vacation days starting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:16 pm

ffemt107 wrote:
Realtalk: I honestly wish I would've pushed as hard for the LSAT as I did for the bar.
Yeah, just think, if you would've nailed the LSAT you could've gone to HLS at sticker, and then taken your tidy $250K of debt with you to SullCrom NYC. What a wasted opportunity!

ffemt107

New

Post by ffemt107 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:56 pm

rpupkin wrote:
ffemt107 wrote:
Realtalk: I honestly wish I would've pushed as hard for the LSAT as I did for the bar.
Yeah, just think, if you would've nailed the LSAT you could've gone to HLS at sticker, and then taken your tidy $250K of debt with you to SullCrom NYC. What a wasted opportunity!

As in, I could have gone to my state's flagship completely free as opposed to mostly free.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Congrats, OP! I remember seeing this thread 2 years ago, and thinking you should take the firm job. Today, I'll happily eat my words.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:10 pm

My Yosemite internship landed me the job I went to law school for: I've been hired as a deputy attorney general; I will be an environmental prosecutor for my home state following the conclusion of my clerkship. During my three interviews for the DAG job (which saw hundreds of applicants), the interviewers' questioning focused on Yosemite. Discussing the internship allowed me to convey my passion and my unparalleled substantive experience in the park impressed my interviewers.

If you get the opportunity, can afford it, and are so inclined to dedicate your career to public interest law, go to Yosemite.
Thanks for coming back to post after almost everyone was so rude and condescending to you. Congrats OP. So glad it all worked out!
I don't think I appreciated how harsh and ridiculing posts can come across until I read these. You got very little substantive advice but a ton of mean jokes. Makes me determined to be more careful in my posts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Yeah, but good luck getting a midlaw job in New Jersey. Ya blew it, buddy.

(Joking, congrats)

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Congrats, OP! You had the guts to trust yourself over the hivemind, had a once in a lifetime experience, and now have landed your dream job. Absolutely awesome!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:37 pm

In fairness to the hive, if the OP had framed things better and said what their career goals were (or mentioned what their dream job was) instead of saying they were mildly interested in what the firm does and not really giving any reason for doing the Yosemite thing other than "Sounds dope" the OP might have received different responses.

Might.

Congrats on ending up with the job you wanted though, that's awesome.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:31 pm

BigZuck wrote:In fairness to the hive, if the OP had framed things better and said what their career goals were (or mentioned what their dream job was) instead of saying they were mildly interested in what the firm does and not really giving any reason for doing the Yosemite thing other than "Sounds dope" the OP might have received different responses.

Might.
Few are better than BigZuck at defending the hive. He could be appointed hive counsel. Also, he's right here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bubbles1012

Bronze

Post by Bubbles1012 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:48 pm

FUCK YEAH! Good for you. I just read the whole thread and there was never any doubt in my mind you made the right call by going to Yosemite. Awesome summer and life experience, actual hands on legal experience, and cool stories for interviews. This is an amazing success story that shows sometimes you shouldn't follow the hive mind.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:55 pm

North wrote:So let me get this straight, you, coming out of Rutgers, have landed a paid 2L summer job at a mid-size firm that might hire you as a full time associate after you graduate, and you're thinking about reneging on that to take an unpaid internship with zero chance of long term post graduation employment?

If you're deluded enough to think this is a serious decision that has to be mulled over, then you should take the internship at the park and let one of your desperate, unemployed classmates have the firm job.
This is a good one that I don't think would have changed if OP stated his dream job.

But I also think few people understood the legal experience OP would get at this job.

I'm not sure it was called the hive thinking after only two posts in the thread other than OP, but it must have been true.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Good job, OP!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:31 pm

rpupkin wrote:
BigZuck wrote:In fairness to the hive, if the OP had framed things better and said what their career goals were (or mentioned what their dream job was) instead of saying they were mildly interested in what the firm does and not really giving any reason for doing the Yosemite thing other than "Sounds dope" the OP might have received different responses.

Might.
Few are better than BigZuck at defending the hive. He could be appointed hive counsel. Also, he's right here.
I'm not a real lawyer, sadly. Don't think I'm technically qualified for that.

I am sincerely glad the OP got the outcome they wanted and the summer job sounds really cool, much cooler than wasting away in some office park in Jersey. But I get why a Ranger Smith picture was posted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:39 am

OP, you kinda come across as an insecure loser, especially re: going to a crappy school. You ask what people think, and then make a petulant show of your disregard for the feedback. Then you come back to brag about a job nobody knew you had any interest in when you were asking for feedback, a job nobody really cares about? Pretty weird, man.

didgeridoo92

New

Post by didgeridoo92 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:07 pm

cron1834 wrote:OP, you kinda come across as an insecure loser, especially re: going to a crappy school. You ask what people think, and then make a petulant show of your disregard for the feedback. Then you come back to brag about a job nobody knew you had any interest in when you were asking for feedback, a job nobody really cares about? Pretty weird, man.
And yet here you are, commenting and contributing absolutely nothing to the thread. Pretty weird.

Congrats OP!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:19 pm

cron1834 wrote:OP, you kinda come across as an insecure loser, especially re: going to a crappy school. You ask what people think, and then make a petulant show of your disregard for the feedback. Then you come back to brag about a job nobody knew you had any interest in when you were asking for feedback, a job nobody really cares about? Pretty weird, man.
Not really. I was glad to see the OP did so well.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:12 pm

didgeridoo92 wrote:
And yet here you are, commenting and contributing absolutely nothing to the thread. Pretty weird.

Congrats OP!
Yeah, so weird right? Commenting on a thread that literally asks for comments is far more weird than humble-bragging to strangers about a shitty job nobody knew OP wanted. Good call, thanks for your valuable contribution.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:23 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Very glad you updated OP.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:15 pm

I can't remember if I was a dick about this one but I probably was so my bad, congrats I guess.

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Awesome, OP. I remember reading this post when I was still lurking on this forum. This is particularly great given the amount of hate you got for what was a perfectly rational decision. Good luck with your DAG job!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”