Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Aspen

Bronze

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by Aspen » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks for all the replies!

Navy2015

New

Post by Navy2015 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:46 pm

2 weeks from now is the last day of April.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:33 am

Navy2015 wrote:2 weeks from now is the last day of April.

Really trying to keep my mind off of it!

monkeysez

New

Post by monkeysez » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:02 pm

On the bright side, the odds of anyone getting commissioned is very low, so you may as well take all the competing job offers now.

Navy2015

New

Post by Navy2015 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:00 pm

monkeysez wrote:On the bright side, the odds of anyone getting commissioned is very low, so you may as well take all the competing job offers now.
All the DA applicants be like "competing job offers?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:26 pm

monkeysez wrote:On the bright side, the odds of anyone getting commissioned is very low, so you may as well take all the competing job offers now.

Not to sound presumptuous, but I really don't feel like the odds are that low. Assuming you are at the right school, with decent grades etc. etc. I mean really, how could they be? I know the acceptance rate is something like 5-8% with slight variation based on the branch, and time of application board. However, you have to factor in the fact that there are almost 200 law schools in the country, that is a whole lot of law students who are having a very difficult time finding a job, who may believe the military is a last ditch effort kind of deal. I am at a T25 and the hiring situation isn't anywhere close to great, so I can't even imagine the situation at somewhere like "cooley law school" for example. I am sure that all of the Jags are flooded with applicants from bad schools with low grades who have no real interest in serving, but are simply in it for the perceived financial benefits because their job situation is abysmal, and there is this misguided belief that the military will take anyone because they are desperate for people to join. If you took out all the applicants from ranked 50 law schools and below, I'd be willing to bet that the acceptance rate percentage would look a lot better. What else could a jag board really be looking for if an applicant is from a T1 law school, with decent grades, and has a history pf public service? This is just the perception I have, and the analysis that led me to that perception.

With all that being said I am really just trying to make myself feel better, and I am certainly preparing myself for a rejection! Ha ha Ignore my panicky ranting!

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:04 am

Navy JAG is short on LTs right now. If it is anything like the last board, chances are pretty good, particularly for 3Ls since they can come on board faster. My guess is that DA appointments will be up too.

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:52 am

NavyJAG1 wrote:Navy JAG is short on LTs right now. If it is anything like the last board, chances are pretty good, particularly for 3Ls since they can come on board faster. My guess is that DA appointments will be up too.
God I hope so.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:58 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:Navy JAG is short on LTs right now. If it is anything like the last board, chances are pretty good, particularly for 3Ls since they can come on board faster. My guess is that DA appointments will be up too.

I hope this is so!!! Where is that information coming from?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:03 pm

Good luck to everyone waiting. Did you guys miss the Fall Board, or are these the Fall Board results?

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:04 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Good luck to everyone waiting. Did you guys miss the Fall Board, or are these the Fall Board results?
These will be the Spring board results, I think the Fall board results came out in December/January or something.

I missed the Fall board, this is my first application, I am a 2L.

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:18 am

I posted that I'm probably dq'd medically awhile back, but my application is still in for this board, and I'll keep pushing until they officially tell me I'm dinged. Fingers crossed like everyone else! I'm a 2L, so I've another couple shots next year, but it'd sure be nice to get recommended this time around. And yay for results being released during finals weeks again... Just to add one more thing to stress about =)

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:22 am

JAG Hopeful wrote:I posted that I'm probably dq'd medically awhile back, but my application is still in for this board, and I'll keep pushing until they officially tell me I'm dinged. Fingers crossed like everyone else! I'm a 2L, so I've another couple shots next year, but it'd sure be nice to get recommended this time around. And yay for results being released during finals weeks again... Just to add one more thing to stress about =)

From everything I have read it almost seems like you're nearly guaranteed to get dinged your first application. Doesn't seem like a lot of people get in on their first shot. Whether right or wrong, I am expecting not to get it. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:31 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:I posted that I'm probably dq'd medically awhile back, but my application is still in for this board, and I'll keep pushing until they officially tell me I'm dinged. Fingers crossed like everyone else! I'm a 2L, so I've another couple shots next year, but it'd sure be nice to get recommended this time around. And yay for results being released during finals weeks again... Just to add one more thing to stress about =)

From everything I have read it almost seems like you're nearly guaranteed to get dinged your first application. Doesn't seem like a lot of people get in on their first shot. Whether right or wrong, I am expecting not to get it. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!!
It depends. A buddy of mine got in on his first app as a 3L. It can happen. I'll agree, with no evidence though, that most probably get dinged on their first apps.

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:52 pm

I got dinged by the AF my 1L year, but got picked up as a 2L by the October board. Most get dinged on their first app as 2Ls simply because they take significantly fewer 2Ls. But they also took a huge percentage of applicants last board (I think it was something crazy like 20%), which would support the statement by someone above that they seem to be taking larger classes. I'm not actually sure that it's the case. I think it's more a combination of a *slightly* larger class and significantly fewer applications.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:27 pm

My sense from talking to JAG officers is that the applications are inversely proportional to the legal hiring market. So, in 2011 when the economy took a giant shit, JAG applications went through the roof. Granted, a lot of those people probably didn't particularly want to be in the military so much as they were just desperate for a job, but it still made shit ultra competitive. Now that the economy is better, applications aren't as high. Not to say that it's easy by any means, but it's not quite as hard as it was. Just my impression, take with a grain of salt.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:15 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:My sense from talking to JAG officers is that the applications are inversely proportional to the legal hiring market. So, in 2011 when the economy took a giant shit, JAG applications went through the roof. Granted, a lot of those people probably didn't particularly want to be in the military so much as they were just desperate for a job, but it still made shit ultra competitive. Now that the economy is better, applications aren't as high. Not to say that it's easy by any means, but it's not quite as hard as it was. Just my impression, take with a grain of salt.
Seems like legitimate analysis, but this process is so filled with speculative reasoning that it is hard to be certain of anything.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:36 pm

Yeah, I’m betting this board will have more applicants compared to the fall board but hopefully higher acceptance rates like others said. Hopefully the high numbers will continue next year (and hopefully the market improves, so less people apply =) )

Spring Board 2013 accepted 24 student programs and 4 direct accessions from 555 applicants. http://jag.navylive.dodlive.mil/2013/05 ... ht-people/

Fall Board 2013 accepted 30 student programs and 2 direct accessions from 295 candidates. http://jag.navylive.dodlive.mil/2013/12 ... d-results/

Spring Board 2014 accepted 21 Student Programs and 5 Direct Accessions from 456 candidates. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6#p7644306

Fall Board 2014 accepted 55 out of 233 applications (not sure SP v. DA). http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4#p8232854
Last edited by JAG Hopeful on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:47 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:Yeah, I’m betting this board will have more applicants, but hopefully higher acceptance rates like others said. Hopefully the high numbers will continue next year (and hopefully the market improves, so less people apply =) )

Spring Board 2013 accepted 24 student programs and 4 direct accessions from 555 applicants. http://jag.navylive.dodlive.mil/2013/05 ... ht-people/

Fall Board 2013 accepted 30 student programs and 2 direct accessions from 295 candidates. http://jag.navylive.dodlive.mil/2013/12 ... d-results/

Fall Board 2014 accepted 55 out of 233 applications (not sure SP v. DA). http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4#p8232854

Certainly appears to be a trend taking place. The really annoying fact of this is that there are a lot of people applying who don't care anything about the service, they just want a job. And that makes it 10 times harder for people that legitimately just want to be in the military. It is frustrating to say the least!!

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:07 am

JAG Hopeful wrote:Yeah, I’m betting this board will have more applicants, but hopefully higher acceptance rates like others said. Hopefully the high numbers will continue next year (and hopefully the market improves, so less people apply =) )

There was no DA in the Fall--it's only been in the Spring the past 2(?) years--so that would explain it, at least it's only been in the Spring the past two years when I applied DA. Still...55 Student Program selectees, holy moly O_o

Edit: I'm guessing the Fall DA appointments were alternates?

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:56 am

The comment above about the number of applicants and the economy is correct. The board met last week, so my guess is that results will likely be released soon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:50 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:The comment above about the number of applicants and the economy is correct. The board met last week, so my guess is that results will likely be released soon.

Thank you, NavyJAG1. You're always posting the inside track information, and we really, really appreciate it =)

Also, everyone admit it - who read that and then ran and checked the application website? (...raises hand)

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:36 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:
NavyJAG1 wrote:The comment above about the number of applicants and the economy is correct. The board met last week, so my guess is that results will likely be released soon.

Thank you, NavyJAG1. You're always posting the inside track information, and we really, really appreciate it =)

Also, everyone admit it - who read that and then ran and checked the application website? (...raises hand)
No problem. It is a stressful process. I wish I could get a hold of my Structured Interview Score sheet, would have been interesting to see what they thought of my answers!

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:07 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:

+1, thanks NavyJAG1.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:03 pm

I will echo everyone else, thank you so much for the information! We all appreciate it very much!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”