Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ak7ja

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Postby ak7ja » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:46 pm

JAGbound wrote:Greetings all!

I'm currently gathering materials for a Fall 2018 application and had a few questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1) Was there a specific format required for the letters of rec? Specifically, the Navy JAG site says the following:

Letters should be addressed to the "President of the JAGC Accessions Board". The following address should ONLY be used for letterhead:

Office of the Judge Advocate General
Attn: JAGC Accessions Officer
1322 Patterson Ave., Suite 3000
Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5066

Does that mean the address above needs to be on the top of the header? I was hoping my recommendations could have the letterhead of the respective office of the recommender.

2) I've heard it is less likely a 2L will get picked up the first go around (obviously case-by-case basis), but does anyone have any hard numbers on how many 2Ls the Board picks up on average? Percentage?

Thanks!

When I applied my recommenders just addressed the letter to the President of the JAGC Accessions Board. Typically, a business letter will first have the address of the person who's writing the letter first, with the address of the recipient underneath. Just Google business letter format. You might be overthinking it.

It is hard to get picked up as a 2L, not impossible though. They don't release data on the number of 2Ls that get selected, but I think my year around 20 people in my class were selected their 2L year (out of like 70-80-ish total).

Good luck!

JAGbound

New

Postby JAGbound » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks for the advice! Definitely over thinking that one.

On a separate note, does anyone have any thoughts regarding the length of the motivational statement? I know it states a 400 word max, but I feel anything more than 300 will likely go unread. Am I way off base here? For those of you that were accepted, do you remember the length?

Thanks!

ak7ja

New

Postby ak7ja » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:33 pm

JAGbound wrote:Thanks for the advice! Definitely over thinking that one.

On a separate note, does anyone have any thoughts regarding the length of the motivational statement? I know it states a 400 word max, but I feel anything more than 300 will likely go unread. Am I way off base here? For those of you that were accepted, do you remember the length?

Thanks!

If they weren't going to read past 300 words then they'd make the word limit 300. You're either trolling or reading way too into the application instructions.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students?