Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JAGbound

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by JAGbound » Mon May 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi all,

For those of you commissioning, I hope the process is moving along quickly. I finished MEPS but have had issues using NASIS for my background check. Has anyone received a "403 - Forbidden" message when attempting to login? To be clear, the site will not grant me access to the screen where it asks for login credentials. I have tried from 3 separate computers using 3 separate search engines. My guess, it has something to do with the credentials for the site. I've also tried deleting my cookies and saved passwords, but no luck. However, it did work last night for roughly an hour before kicking me off but it was on a tablet (which is now giving me the same message).

Any thoughts?

ak7ja

New

Post by ak7ja » Wed May 22, 2019 8:55 pm

JAGbound wrote:Hi all,

For those of you commissioning, I hope the process is moving along quickly. I finished MEPS but have had issues using NASIS for my background check. Has anyone received a "403 - Forbidden" message when attempting to login? To be clear, the site will not grant me access to the screen where it asks for login credentials. I have tried from 3 separate computers using 3 separate search engines. My guess, it has something to do with the credentials for the site. I've also tried deleting my cookies and saved passwords, but no luck. However, it did work last night for roughly an hour before kicking me off but it was on a tablet (which is now giving me the same message).

Any thoughts?
You've probably locked yourself out of your account. I recommend talking to your recruiter, they're there to answer quesitons like that.

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:54 pm

Does anyone have any insight into the Navy JAG Reserve Direct Commissioning Program?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Tue May 28, 2019 8:56 am

tigger02 wrote:Does anyone have any insight into the Navy JAG Reserve Direct Commissioning Program?
Define "insight"...

Reserve career website (see item #4): https://www.jag.navy.mil/careers_/reserve.htm

Program Authorization for the program: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/ ... t-2018.pdf

Recent NAVADMIN re: DCO students attending ODS/OCS instead of the 2-week DCO course in Newport: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/ ... V19101.txt

Blog post re: our first accession via this program: https://jag.navylive.dodlive.mil/?p=17774

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:40 am

Fair enough, let me be more specific. I understand it is a rolling board process. When the board is convened, is it just to consider one applicant or do they wait until there are multiple applicants? And any idea how long it takes after the board has been convened before people are notified? Any idea when the last time there was a board?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Thu May 30, 2019 11:18 am

tigger02 wrote:Fair enough, let me be more specific. I understand it is a rolling board process. When the board is convened, is it just to consider one applicant or do they wait until there are multiple applicants? And any idea how long it takes after the board has been convened before people are notified? Any idea when the last time there was a board?
From the Code 61 gurus:

--there is no requirement for a minimum number of packages IOT hold the board.
--next board will be end of July.
--applicants should be notified within 2-4 weeks of a decision.
--most recent board was held Oct 2018.

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:37 pm

Thank you for your reply!

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:26 am

So, while my intentions have been to go Navy JAGC I have also recently found out I have an Offer to commission AD with the Army as well. Obviously this will come down to many personal factors as I weigh the decision. But I wondered if anyone here past or present has had to weigh these options and had any insight they felt apt to share. Worth a shot as I gather all the info I can to make the decision best for myself and my family. Thanks!

JAGbound

New

Post by JAGbound » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Dawg57 wrote:So, while my intentions have been to go Navy JAGC I have also recently found out I have an Offer to commission AD with the Army as well. Obviously this will come down to many personal factors as I weigh the decision. But I wondered if anyone here past or present has had to weigh these options and had any insight they felt apt to share. Worth a shot as I gather all the info I can to make the decision best for myself and my family. Thanks!
I was active duty Army for nearly 10 years. I can say without hesitation that the Navy would be my recommendation. The Army--in my opinion--has a much more demanding schedule and deployment cycle. If you're attached to a large unit, you will deploy nearly every other year for generally a length of 12 months. Also, the installations you would be staying at are not as nice as you will find in the Navy. I know someone on here will eventually chime in and reference one outlier under the Navy inventory, but I can assure you it doesn't compare to the overwhelming amount of terrible bases and locations in the Army. Lastly, you will likely be working under the installation commander or division commander who will more than likely be combat arms. From my experience, these high-level combat arms officers can be challenging to work for at times (not all).

That being said, I enjoyed my time in the Army and had the opportunity to work with a lot of amazing people. I would suggest speaking with as many people who have served in those branches and get a sense of the culture to see what would be the best fit. Either way, congrats and best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:26 pm

JAGbound wrote:
Dawg57 wrote:So, while my intentions have been to go Navy JAGC I have also recently found out I have an Offer to commission AD with the Army as well. Obviously this will come down to many personal factors as I weigh the decision. But I wondered if anyone here past or present has had to weigh these options and had any insight they felt apt to share. Worth a shot as I gather all the info I can to make the decision best for myself and my family. Thanks!
I was active duty Army for nearly 10 years. I can say without hesitation that the Navy would be my recommendation. The Army--in my opinion--has a much more demanding schedule and deployment cycle. If you're attached to a large unit, you will deploy nearly every other year for generally a length of 12 months. Also, the installations you would be staying at are not as nice as you will find in the Navy. I know someone on here will eventually chime in and reference one outlier under the Navy inventory, but I can assure you it doesn't compare to the overwhelming amount of terrible bases and locations in the Army. Lastly, you will likely be working under the installation commander or division commander who will more than likely be combat arms. From my experience, these high-level combat arms officers can be challenging to work for at times (not all).

That being said, I enjoyed my time in the Army and had the opportunity to work with a lot of amazing people. I would suggest speaking with as many people who have served in those branches and get a sense of the culture to see what would be the best fit. Either way, congrats and best of luck!

Little update, I ended up commissioning Navy! I am now an Ensign with simple orders to keep studying for the Bar! Man... living the Dream! Haha.... Thanks for your insight and advice.

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:34 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
JAGbound wrote:

Little update, I ended up commissioning Navy! I am now an Ensign with simple orders to keep studying for the Bar! Man... living the Dream! Haha.... Thanks for your insight and advice.
Congratulations!

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:01 am

Dawg57 wrote:
Huge congrats!! PM me if you need anything.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:59 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
JAGbound wrote:

Did you receive a "signing" bonus? Just curious....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:22 pm

KPUSN07 wrote: Did you receive a "signing" bonus? Just curious....
The Navy JAGC does not offer signing bonuses, only continuation bonuses.

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:51 pm

Elle in Combat Boots wrote:
There is currently a $10k affiliation (or “signing”) bonus for former service members (in certain circumstances) who affiliate with the Navy Reserve JAGC and agree to a certain length of service. I get the point that you are trying to make, but I’m just trying to clarify the difference in case anyone else reads this.

“Affiliation Bonus
An affiliation bonus of $10,000 is currently authorized for officers transferring from active duty and for prior service Navy Veterans in the grades of lieutenant commander and below that agree to three years of service in the SELRES. The affiliation bonus is also currently authorized for Direct Commissioning selectees in the grades of lieutenant commander and below for a four year SELRES obligation.”

https://www.jag.navy.mil/careers_/reserve.htm

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:53 pm

tigger02 wrote:Fair enough, let me be more specific. I understand it is a rolling board process. When the board is convened, is it just to consider one applicant or do they wait until there are multiple applicants? And any idea how long it takes after the board has been convened before people are notified? Any idea when the last time there was a board?
From the Code 61 gurus:

--there is no requirement for a minimum number of packages IOT hold the board.
--next board will be end of July.
--applicants should be notified within 2-4 weeks of a decision.
--most recent board was held Oct 2018.
Elle, any updated info such as when the board is going to be held, how many applicants there are, and how many selections are authorized?

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:00 pm

tigger02 wrote:
There is currently a $10k affiliation (or “signing”) bonus for former service members (in certain circumstances) who affiliate with the Navy Reserve JAGC and agree to a certain length of service. I get the point that you are trying to make, but I’m just trying to clarify the difference in case anyone else reads this.

“Affiliation Bonus
An affiliation bonus of $10,000 is currently authorized for officers transferring from active duty and for prior service Navy Veterans in the grades of lieutenant commander and below that agree to three years of service in the SELRES. The affiliation bonus is also currently authorized for Direct Commissioning selectees in the grades of lieutenant commander and below for a four year SELRES obligation.”

Very interesting - is that affiliation per year or a one time deal? I'm currently SELRES and heading to law school - but also receiving a transition affiliation bonus to remain SELRES (while in law school) - likely cannot get it again when / if transferring to JAGC; speaking of which, how difficult is it to transfer to JAGC as a reservist?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:11 am

tigger02 wrote:Elle, any updated info such as when the board is going to be held, how many applicants there are, and how many selections are authorized?
I haven't heard anything, and my Reserve POC was not in the office this week. I'll ask next week (along with the SELRES bonus question raised), but the stats you request are typically not released until after JAG has approved and personally announced the results...

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:14 am

KPUSN07 wrote: How difficult is it to transfer to JAGC as a reservist?
Do you mean non-JAGC reservist --> active duty judge advocate? Or just a lateral transfer to JAGC within SELRES?

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:54 am

tigger02 wrote:Elle, any updated info such as when the board is going to be held, how many applicants there are, and how many selections are authorized?
I haven't heard anything, and my Reserve POC was not in the office this week. I'll ask next week (along with the SELRES bonus question raised), but the stats you request are typically not released until after JAG has approved and personally announced the results...
Understood!

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:32 am

KPUSN07 wrote:
tigger02 wrote:

“Affiliation Bonus

Very interesting - is that affiliation per year or a one time deal? I'm currently SELRES and heading to law school - but also receiving a transition affiliation bonus to remain SELRES (while in law school) - likely cannot get it again when / if transferring to JAGC; speaking of which, how difficult is it to transfer to JAGC as a reservist?
Update from the reserve & recruiting folks: The website is misleading (they are working to get it fixed, thanks in large part to this forum). The affiliation bonus is only for those that are active duty --> reserves. In other words, as far as anyone knows, it is only for current active duty JAGs that elect to stay in the SELRES.

No news on the reserve board front, nor do I expect to hear anything until after the board.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tigger02

New

Post by tigger02 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:54 am

KPUSN07 wrote:
tigger02 wrote:

“Affiliation Bonus

Update from the reserve & recruiting folks: The website is misleading (they are working to get it fixed, thanks in large part to this forum). The affiliation bonus is only for those that are active duty --> reserves. In other words, as far as anyone knows, it is only for current active duty JAGs that elect to stay in the SELRES.

No news on the reserve board front, nor do I expect to hear anything until after the board.
Thank you for the update! Can they at least tell you what day the board is?

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:58 pm

KPUSN07 wrote: How difficult is it to transfer to JAGC as a reservist?
Do you mean non-JAGC reservist --> active duty judge advocate? Or just a lateral transfer to JAGC within SELRES?
Later in SELRES from non-JAGC SELRES to JAGC SELRES

carolinalawyer007

New

Post by carolinalawyer007 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Has anyone heard anything regarding orders/flight info for ODS going in August? And good luck to anyone else taking the bar next week!

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:19 pm

I know someone going in August and they haven't heard anything either. I can say I am envious of your position though. I am in your commissioning class but am part of the 1/3rd or so that are still waiting to see if we are going to get to go to training in ODS, or be pushed into the middle of 2020...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”