Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JAG Hopeful

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by JAG Hopeful » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:54 am

I mean, I know as little as anyone, but it's not even 10 yet in TN and two hours earlier on the west coast where JAG and DJAG are. Im not ruling out today. Who knows, really? :)

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:14 am

First TLS post from the Fall Board in the massive Military Law thread was at 11:09 a.m. back in December, so there's still a chance. My guess is tomorrow or early next week but that's because I'm a chronic pessimist.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:43 am

ShockTop wrote:First TLS post from the Fall Board in the massive Military Law thread was at 11:09 a.m. back in December, so there's still a chance. My guess is tomorrow or early next week but that's because I'm a chronic pessimist.

Thanks for finding that information. I hate that obtuse thing, which is why I made this one! I find it much easier to utilize!

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:29 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
ShockTop wrote:First TLS post from the Fall Board in the massive Military Law thread was at 11:09 a.m. back in December, so there's still a chance. My guess is tomorrow or early next week but that's because I'm a chronic pessimist.

Thanks for finding that information. I hate that obtuse thing, which is why I made this one! I find it much easier to utilize!
No prob. It's an absolute wealth of information but it really makes you wish that there was a "Show All Pages" function on the forum because otherwise you have to click through over 250 pages worth of posts.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:39 pm

ShockTop wrote:
No prob. It's an absolute wealth of information but it really makes you wish that there was a "Show All Pages" function on the forum because otherwise you have to click through over 250 pages worth of posts.
I really just hate that there is a mixture of questions and answers from all of the branches plus the internships, plus back and forth banter. Makes for a lot of superfluous information to sift through when you're only concerned with one branch. Plus the clicking through all the pages like you mentioned.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:20 pm

In the beginning the thread was useful because there were not that many users that were interested in military law and even fewer users who had experience. I think there is greater value in having separate threads now.

monkeysez

New

Post by monkeysez » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Abandon hope all ye that enter this thread. Come back tomorrow.

caseyjo1988

New

Post by caseyjo1988 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:58 pm

I had a friend who is in Navy JAG tell me it could be another 2 weeks (he told me 3 weeks a week ago, so now two). Ugh, I hope not

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:47 pm

caseyjo1988 wrote:I had a friend who is in Navy JAG tell me it could be another 2 weeks (he told me 3 weeks a week ago, so now two). Ugh, I hope not
Anythings possible, but if LCDR Padilla said Thurs, and the board met two weeks ago, that has to mean tomorrow or early next week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:55 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:
caseyjo1988 wrote:I had a friend who is in Navy JAG tell me it could be another 2 weeks (he told me 3 weeks a week ago, so now two). Ugh, I hope not
Anythings possible, but if LCDR Padilla said Thurs, and the board met two weeks ago, that has to mean tomorrow or early next week.

Based on all the evidence we have it would be plausible that they got the report today but didn't want to start working on posting it until in the morning. If they only got half in before the end of the day I'm sure their phone would be blowing up from all the people's statuses that hadn't been updated yet.

So it is still possible that they got the report today.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:27 pm

I know you guys have a lot of shit going on/are frantically pressing F5, but does anyone know when, approximately, the Fall application period opens? Website just says "summer". Just trying to game out when I need to have my LORs done and all that.

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:34 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I know you guys have a lot of shit going on/are frantically pressing F5, but does anyone know when, approximately, the Fall application period opens? Website just says "summer". Just trying to game out when I need to have my LORs done and all that.
It was for sure open in August this past year, and itbwaa due on Oct 3rd, so plenty of time.

NKY Law Student

New

Post by NKY Law Student » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:49 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:

Based on all the evidence we have it would be plausible that they got the report today but didn't want to start working on posting it until in the morning. If they only got half in before the end of the day I'm sure their phone would be blowing up from all the people's statuses that hadn't been updated yet.

So it is still possible that they got the report today.
It's also possible that this is all an elaborate prank and that the Navy doesn't actually hire lawyers.

Just a thought.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:54 pm

Oh, also on LOR lines for your Navy internship this summer: I was interning at a RLSO this past summer. The other intern on base was with the DSO. I didn't get a LOR from my O-6 CO and wasn't PRd when I applied this last fall. He did get a LOR and was. I think, even if you have a couple from your immediate supervisors, try to get one from your CO. I was nervous, because I'd only met her a couple times and wondered if she'd even do one. But she did! And was incredilbly nice besides, so now I have hers in for this board. And I've heard it can make a big difference having one from an O-6.

Navy2015

New

Post by Navy2015 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:25 pm

Hopefully the waiting is over soon, because I've finally given in to obsessing over my chances. I was really good at putting it out of my mind before the application deadline and for the first 10 weeks after, but this long period of expecting results wore me down. Especially for DA, I imagine that it's like fed clerkship hiring, where even with a very good application, being selected is a toss-up / a bit of random luck. I guess the big difference is that judges don't actually see all 500 applications they get because they screen them based on certain stats and qualities, but the selection board will definitely see you and make a decision...

It's just funny, though... everyone I talked to in the Navy really downplayed the low acceptance rate, and made it seem like the program only takes a few people because no one appropriate applies. Of course, those people were encouraging me to apply but weren't really directly related to the program, so it's hard to know for sure what to make of it...

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:15 pm

Navy2015 wrote:I guess the big difference is that judges don't actually see all 500 applications they get because they screen them based on certain stats and qualities, but the selection board will definitely see you and make a decision...

I don't think this is entirely accurate. From what I have been told your interview score is used as a pre-screener. All people below a certain score are automatically cut and never make it to the board to be considered.

Just what I have heard . . . we all know hoe reliable the grape vine is.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:19 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote: I've heard it can make a big difference having one from an O-6.

O-6's are a tough run down typically. I had one LOR from a Marine Captain that I personally worked under while on active duty. Guys higher than that are sort of insulated from the people lower on the ladder. My old CO's wouldn't even know who I was if I called them and asked for an LOR. lol

Hope this didn't hurt me too bad!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Navy2015

New

Post by Navy2015 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:23 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:I guess the big difference is that judges don't actually see all 500 applications they get because they screen them based on certain stats and qualities, but the selection board will definitely see you and make a decision...

I don't think this is entirely accurate. From what I have been told your interview score is used as a pre-screener. All people below a certain score are automatically cut and never make it to the board to be considered.

I didn't realize. Still, I would hope they consider more people out of the stack of 500 than the judges I've seen (which isn't a high bar at all...).

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:27 pm

Navy2015 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

I didn't realize. Still, I would hope they consider more people out of the stack of 500 than the judges I've seen (which isn't a high bar at all...).
Perhaps, this process is full of so much speculation it is hard to tell for sure exactly what happens.

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:23 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Perhaps, this process is full of so much speculation it is hard to tell for sure exactly what happens.
Page 3-3

5. Composite Multiple (CM). The CM is a 1-100 score consisting of an applicant's structured interview (SI) score and Law School Admission Test (LSAT) percentile. To arrive at this "Composite Multiple" score, an applicant's SI score (a maximum of 60 points) is added to their LSAT percentile multiplied by .4 (for a maximum of 40 points) . Only completed applications are considered in determining the CM.

Anyone curious how the application process works should read that PDF.

http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/instruc ... 150-1C.pdf

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:29 pm

ShockTop wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
Navy2015 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Page 3-3

5. Composite Multiple (CM). The CM is a 1-100 score consisting of an applicant's structured interview (SI) score and Law School Admission Test (LSAT) percentile. To arrive at this "Composite Multiple" score, an applicant's SI score (a maximum of 60 points) is added to their LSAT percentile multiplied by .4 (for a maximum of 40 points) . Only completed applications are considered in determining the CM.

Anyone curious how the application process works should read that PDF.

http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/instruc ... 150-1C.pdf
Yeah, they have the option of doing a pre-screen board, but they almost never do so, i.e. if they have 800 applicants. I'm betting 350-425 applicants for this board - just an estimate based on the last 4 boards' numbers. So, no pre-screen board this time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:42 pm

JAG Hopeful wrote:
Yeah, they have the option of doing a pre-screen board, but they almost never do so, i.e. if they have 800 applicants. I'm betting 350-425 applicants for this board - just an estimate based on the last 4 boards' numbers. So, no pre-screen board this time.

Good information. Thanks.

Edit. By the way, where did this information come from?

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Fri May 01, 2015 7:51 am

S. Goodman wrote:
JAG Hopeful wrote:

Good information. Thanks.

Edit. By the way, where did this information come from?
Of course! I don't have a link, but NavyJAG1 (current JAG) mentioned it a few times on the big forum, and I've heard it from other Navy folks too.

Edit: also, that PDF lists it as discretionary, for when they determine there's too many applicants.

Edit 2: He mentioned the preacreen board. My estimate of numbers is just a ballpark guess given the spring boards have more applicants but they've been declining. I posted numbers a few pages back for the last 4 boards.

Navy2015

New

Post by Navy2015 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:43 am

My results posted.

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Fri May 01, 2015 10:08 am

Same here, results are up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.