Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:58 am

S. Goodman wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:Just checking in. Hope all is well!
What's up man? How's being a real life lawyer treating you?

It's alright. Just work ha ha routine every week just waiting for the Weekend! I wish I was back in school!
How's the First Tour Judge Advocate program going? I've heard some people say it can be a little too much hand holding.

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:58 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:
Hey Saul! You just finished up in December at NJS, yeh? How long were you given between your NJS finish date and your report by date to your first duty station?

It's based on miles from NJS to your duty station. I had four days. I got to my area on a Saturday, started work on Monday. We were on holiday stand down when I got to work. So every weekend was a four day weekend, and Tuesday Wednesday, and Thursday were half days.
Thanks for the info! Hope JAG life is treating you well.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:03 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
What's up man? How's being a real life lawyer treating you?

It's alright. Just work ha ha routine every week just waiting for the Weekend! I wish I was back in school!
How's the First Tour Judge Advocate program going? I've heard some people say it can be a little too much hand holding.
That's exactly what it is, and it basically ensures you won't get any real experience for two years. But it's nice just to have a job lol

baileymjd

New

Post by baileymjd » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Anyone know if we'll hear about Spring Board as early as this week? Or should I put my anxiety on hold until next week or the week after....

ckb525108

New

Post by ckb525108 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 pm

baileymjd wrote:Anyone know if we'll hear about Spring Board as early as this week? Or should I put my anxiety on hold until next week or the week after....

Last I heard we were either going to hear back this week or next week. That's what I was told when I did my application review a few weeks before the student program deadline.

I feel as if we typically hear from the board on Friday's. The Navy JAG Facebook page always announces when results come out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deadthrone7

New

Post by deadthrone7 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:48 pm

ckb525108 wrote:
baileymjd wrote:Anyone know if we'll hear about Spring Board as early as this week? Or should I put my anxiety on hold until next week or the week after....

Last I heard we were either going to hear back this week or next week. That's what I was told when I did my application review a few weeks before the student program deadline.

I feel as if we typically hear from the board on Friday's. The Navy JAG Facebook page always announces when results come out.
Fridays definitely seems to be the go to day for results. I wouldn't hold my breath for this week. They seem to really stick to the 10 weeks from deadline so my best guess would be 28th, or maybe even May 5, given the brief delay this cycle.

LawHammer

New

Post by LawHammer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:02 am

deadthrone7 wrote:
ckb525108 wrote:

Fridays definitely seems to be the go to day for results. I wouldn't hold my breath for this week. They seem to really stick to the 10 weeks from deadline so my best guess would be 28th, or maybe even May 5, given the brief delay this cycle.
Last day of finals are May 4, so I'm hoping for a May 5 decision. I'll have a bottle of rum and a 6 pack of Lonestar on hand. Which I choose to indulge with will hinge upon the results.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Good luck guys. Getting selection board results around finals sucks.

ckb525108

New

Post by ckb525108 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:18 pm

LawHammer wrote:
deadthrone7 wrote:
ckb525108 wrote:

Last day of finals are May 4, so I'm hoping for a May 5 decision. I'll have a bottle of rum and a 6 pack of Lonestar on hand. Which I choose to indulge with will hinge upon the results.

Yeah, I mean I'm just going by what the officer I spoke with said. He said results would be earlier this round.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:14 am

Navy JAG just reorganized the accessions shop and moved it out of Millington, TN to the Navy Yard. It no longer falls under the detailers, so perhaps the board results will be released sooner. At the very least it is easier to get the paperwork in front of the 3-star and 2-star. That can often be the longest delay.

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:39 pm

Fed_Atty wrote:Navy JAG just reorganized the accessions shop and moved it out of Millington, TN to the Navy Yard. It no longer falls under the detailers, so perhaps the board results will be released sooner. At the very least it is easier to get the paperwork in front of the 3-star and 2-star. That can often be the longest delay.
It already seems to be helping on the processing end.

Husky09

New

Post by Husky09 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 am

Circling back to see if anyone following this thread is heading to ODS/BLC this summer (already took the bar exam) and/or if anyone has orders yet.

For the last group of you it seemed like you got orders a little less than a month before ODS - is that right?

Navy Medicine has ODS start dates posted for FY17:
http://www.med.navy.mil/Accessions/Page ... chool.aspx

NJS FY17 Course Schedule (updated 3/31) indicates BLC start date of Aug 7:
http://www.jag.navy.mil/documents/FY17R ... v31Mar.pdf

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Last time I talked to the accessions folks they said they weren't cutting ODS orders for the next month or so at least.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:38 am

Any chance we get results today?

LawHammer

New

Post by LawHammer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 am

usn26 wrote:Any chance we get results today?
Somebody was told that the results would be earlier than normal this round, so it's a possibility. Having said that, I'm not optimistic about it. I think next week or the week after is more likely.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:54 am

They're also moving the accessions portfolio from Millington to DC, as mentioned above. That could slow things down a bit, if they're in the middle of a shuffle.

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Anyone know if the results came out yet? Asking for a friend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawHammer

New

Post by LawHammer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Status is update.
Last edited by LawHammer on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baileymjd

New

Post by baileymjd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

My JAG just called me asking if I got a call yet. No call yet, but I checked my online application and..... PROFESSIONALLY RECOMMENDED! Good luck to all those waiting to hear.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Good luck everyone

armynotgoodwithwords

New

Post by armynotgoodwithwords » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:37 pm

PR as an alternate. For what it's worth to future prospective applicants, here are my stats:

Ranked 7/87 at top 100 school
GPA 3.78
LSAT 153
9 years prior service Army, ended career as E-6, tours in Iraq and Afghanistan

Interested to know how many other alternates are out there. Feel like we need a support group or something, lolz

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:00 pm

I've heard if you're an alternate you have a good shot of being picked up. Lots of people fail medical and you take their spot

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Dinged again. Time to change the username lol.

gpat113

New

Post by gpat113 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Just got PR'd for the the 2L SP! Thanks to everyone here for the resources! For future reference my stats are:

Median at T14
175 LSAT
6 yrs WE
not former military, but relatives that are

andrew88

New

Post by andrew88 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:19 pm

PR'd as Alternate for the DA program!

Are all Alternates ranked ?

Good luck to everyone!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?