Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
uvandy

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by uvandy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:27 pm

Congrats! Yours says "professional recommended" but you didn't get a call?

Stubbazubba

New

Post by Stubbazubba » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:37 pm

Congratulations to everyone who made it, looking forward to serving with you.

My condolences to those who didn't make it this time. I wish you the best of luck next time.

WeekendWarrior

New

Post by WeekendWarrior » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Has anyone had their status updated to rejection yet?

WeekendWarrior

New

Post by WeekendWarrior » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:45 pm

wg6524 wrote:
wg6524 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
wg6524 wrote:Rollcall. Does anyone know anything else? The Facebook page just updated to say that everyone status is changed online. Had to change for anyone else? Mine is still the same.
I got a phone call saying I was selected, but my status still says pending.
Hopefully that just means they're still making phone calls.
Status just changed online. Third time is a charm, for me anyway!

I'm also curious to know if/when you got a call.

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:50 pm

WeekendWarrior wrote:
wg6524 wrote:
wg6524 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
wg6524 wrote:Rollcall. Does anyone know anything else? The Facebook page just updated to say that everyone status is changed online. Had to change for anyone else? Mine is still the same.
I got a phone call saying I was selected, but my status still says pending.
Hopefully that just means they're still making phone calls.
Status just changed online. Third time is a charm, for me anyway!

I'm also curious to know if/when you got a call.
Apparently I got one during my bankruptcy final today, but the technology on my phone let me get "Good morning...." and that was about it. When I tried to call back the number didn't work. So I was just hoping and praying that it was an acceptance phone call, rather than a phone call from the Army (since i'm in the reserves).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ididntwantsalmon

New

Post by ididntwantsalmon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Just to confirm- the website will simply say:

Professionally Recommended

There's nothing else I'm missing, right? Did anyone that get PR'd receive an email or anything besides a phone call?

electriklemon

New

Post by electriklemon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:08 pm

Officially rejected, Not Professionally Recommended.

gwcolonial24

New

Post by gwcolonial24 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:38 pm

Congrats to all those selected.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:03 pm

Still pending. It's a no at this point, but closure would be nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:23 pm

Welcome aboard, shipmates! Congrats to everyone who was PR'd. For any 3Ls I look forward to seeing you at justice school in October.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:50 pm

What's the typical schedule for training? ODS before bar results, then NJS in October after bar results?

Also, anyone know if prior officers from other services can get a waiver from attending ODS? Just curious.

gwcolonial24

New

Post by gwcolonial24 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:43 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:What's the typical schedule for training? ODS before bar results, then NJS in October after bar results?

Also, anyone know if prior officers from other services can get a waiver from attending ODS? Just curious.
Yes, ODS before NJS. You need to pass bar exam before going to NJS.

I was a prior Navy Reserve officer. I did not have to go to ODS. I don't know if that would apply to officers from other services though.

joman8390

New

Post by joman8390 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:29 pm

gwcolonial24 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:What's the typical schedule for training? ODS before bar results, then NJS in October after bar results?

I was a prior Navy Reserve officer. I did not have to go to ODS. I don't know if that would apply to officers from other services though.
It does not apply to officers from other services, they are still required to go to ODS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadthrone7

New

Post by deadthrone7 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:40 pm

joman8390 wrote:
gwcolonial24 wrote:

It does not apply to officers from other services, they are still required to go to ODS.

Bright side approach: Active Duty Pay for a bit before NJS.

Stubbazubba

New

Post by Stubbazubba » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:53 pm

So I don't remember the fellow on the phone mentioning about what to expect/do next. Is there an e-mail packet coming, a snail mail packet, or am I supposed to be reaching out for something more?

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:38 pm

Stubbazubba wrote:So I don't remember the fellow on the phone mentioning about what to expect/do next. Is there an e-mail packet coming, a snail mail packet, or am I supposed to be reaching out for something more?
My understanding is that there's an official notification email that will go out soon. We'll have to accept or reject within a certain time period (15-20 days) then they'll assign us a recruiter for the commissioning part. That's when all the fun paperwork begins.

Here's my concern on NJS. When does medical start for my family? Honestly, I'm pretty comfortable on TRICARE right now with the reserves. My understanding is that when we commission, it's to the IRR, then to the AD list for ODS, then to the IRR again until bar results, then back to the AD list for NJS and beyond. From my understanding, once I get separation orders from the USAR, TRICARE stops and I might be able to get COBRA (or whatever they're calling it now). The time at ODS wouldn't be enough to start the TRICARE benefit and you can't get TRICARE Reserve in the IRR.

So here's my thought: Can I wait to go to ODS until after I can line up ODS and NJS back to back? Minimize the downtime and hassle with keeping my kiddos' doctor's intact.

ididntwantsalmon

New

Post by ididntwantsalmon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:10 pm

wg6524 wrote: ...My understanding is that when we commission, it's to the IRR, then to the AD list for ODS, then to the IRR again until bar results, then back to the AD list for NJS and beyond...
So we can go to ODS before we get bar results? Does that also mean we can go to ODS before we take the bar (ie 2L summer)? I thought someone said a while back that was a no-go

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stubbazubba

New

Post by Stubbazubba » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:19 pm

Yes, you go to ODS after you take the bar, but before results are out. You cannot go during 2L summer, no.

ididntwantsalmon

New

Post by ididntwantsalmon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Right on, thanks. All the info on this thread has been super helpful so if this would help anyone applying in the future:
PR 2L fall
found out when the status changed on the website-phone service issues so I couldn't have received a call even if they did try
tier 1 school
below median gpa
Navy internship 1L summer (received the offer about 2.5 weeks after that deadline)
prior service

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:14 pm

Anyone else gone through the process who is a reservist? Wondering if you need to go through MEPs/security clearance again if you already have a medical clearance/security clearance.

gwcolonial24

New

Post by gwcolonial24 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:02 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Anyone else gone through the process who is a reservist? Wondering if you need to go through MEPs/security clearance again if you already have a medical clearance/security clearance.
I was a Navy reservist when I went through the process. I didn't have to go to MEPS since I was able to do commissioning physical at a Military Treatment Facilty near me. I did lab work / dental one morning and did the physical examination another day after lab work results came back. Unless you have done a commissioning physical in the past 3 months, you will need one.

Even though I had a security clearance, I had to do another SF-82 with any updates. Fast process.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:33 pm

gwcolonial24 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Anyone else gone through the process who is a reservist? Wondering if you need to go through MEPs/security clearance again if you already have a medical clearance/security clearance.
I was a Navy reservist when I went through the process. I didn't have to go to MEPS since I was able to do commissioning physical at a Military Treatment Facilty near me. I did lab work / dental one morning and did the physical examination another day after lab work results came back. Unless you have done a commissioning physical in the past 3 months, you will need one.

Even though I had a security clearance, I had to do another SF-82 with any updates. Fast process.
Were you E or O? I wouldn't think a reserve officer would need a commissioning physical. (although nothing ever stops the military from being counterintuitive)

gwcolonial24

New

Post by gwcolonial24 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:05 pm

usn26 wrote:
gwcolonial24 wrote:

Were you E or O? I wouldn't think a reserve officer would need a commissioning physical. (although nothing ever stops the military from being counterintuitive)
I was a Navy officer. You need a commissioning physical because you will receive a new commission. I resigned my reserve commission and accepted a new one with Navy JAG Corps. If you are a reservist, you will also need a conditional release from your branch / component prior to accepting a new commission. An extra step.

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 am

gwcolonial24 wrote:
usn26 wrote:
gwcolonial24 wrote:

I was a Navy officer. You need a commissioning physical because you will receive a new commission. I resigned my reserve commission and accepted a new one with Navy JAG Corps. If you are a reservist, you will also need a conditional release from your branch / component prior to accepting a new commission. An extra step.
Do we have to do the duck walk all over again? I'm not as practiced at it now, as I was when I was a private

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:57 am

Anyone else notice the security form they sent us to fill out is just the certification page? Or am I dumb?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”