Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
armynotgoodwithwords

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by armynotgoodwithwords » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:53 pm

Husky09 wrote:
Also potentially helpful might be my timeline:
PR'd Spring 2016 (April 19 phone call about 2pm from 202/DC number, email around 5pm)
Connected with recruiter end of May
MEPS Sept 1
Security questionnaire completed early October
Still waiting for commission now
Hello, thanks for posting your timeline. I am a Feb. 2017 applicant and was wondering if you could update your timeline if you have received ODS/NJS dates. I am also interested to know if you took a legal job after the bar while you were waiting to commission/EAD. I am assuming you were a May 2016 grad. Thanks so much!

armynotgoodwithwords

New

Post by armynotgoodwithwords » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:03 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
cubbies44 wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
I already received orders for NJS and my duty station, but not ODS. They told me if I get pushed to a later ODS class they'll have to redo those orders as well. Not sure if that would apply to you too. I hope our duty station assignments won't change!
Hello, I am a 2017 applicant. Would you mind posting what your post commissioning timeline ended being? I am trying to figure out if I need to plan on getting a job between bar exam and ODS (in the event that I am PR'd). Thanks so much!

Husky09

New

Post by Husky09 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:59 pm

armynotgoodwithwords wrote:
Husky09 wrote:
Also potentially helpful might be my timeline:
PR'd Spring 2016 (April 19 phone call about 2pm from 202/DC number, email around 5pm)
Connected with recruiter end of May
MEPS Sept 1
Security questionnaire completed early October
Still waiting for commission now
Hello, thanks for posting your timeline. I am a Feb. 2017 applicant and was wondering if you could update your timeline if you have received ODS/NJS dates. I am also interested to know if you took a legal job after the bar while you were waiting to commission/EAD. I am assuming you were a May 2016 grad. Thanks so much!

Updated timeline --
Commissioned 12/19
Got commissioning docs from my recruiter and sent them to Millington 1/9/17 (bc they hadn't gotten there yet)
Received pre-ODS docs 1/25/16 (including duty preference sheet)

No ODS orders yet, hoping to go to April 30 or June 4 ODS:
http://www.med.navy.mil/Accessions/Page ... chool.aspx

I graduated in December 2016 and am taking the Feb bar exam. I do have a job for between graduation and ODS (because I couldn't afford not to - it is a legal-related job, but not JD required), but it is flexible to allow time to study for the bar exam, and then I'll be working full-time post bar until ODS.

I found getting PR'd to be infinitely easier than the post-PR stuff.

Good luck!!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:20 pm

What was hard post-PR? So far (knock on wood) things have been smooth for me

hkh2220

New

Post by hkh2220 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:48 am

does anyone know what numbers they took for Fall 2016?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:48 am

hkh2220 wrote:does anyone know what numbers they took for Fall 2016?
I haven't seen it posted anywhere but I've heard rumors that it was a harder board than Fall 2015.

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:08 pm

What does the duty station dream sheet look like? Do they give you a list of choices or are you essentially supposed to come up with a list on your own (using the internet of course).

joman8390

New

Post by joman8390 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:42 pm

wg6524 wrote:What does the duty station dream sheet look like? Do they give you a list of choices or are you essentially supposed to come up with a list on your own (using the internet of course).
They give you a list of choices. If I remember correctly there are 12 and you rank 9 of them.

ckb525108

New

Post by ckb525108 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:32 pm

I noticed that the application deadline was extended for the Spring Board. Does anyone know if that will delay the results?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:36 pm

ckb525108 wrote:I noticed that the application deadline was extended for the Spring Board. Does anyone know if that will delay the results?

I doubt that a 3-day delay will have much effect.

ckb525108

New

Post by ckb525108 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:57 pm

usn26 wrote:
ckb525108 wrote:I noticed that the application deadline was extended for the Spring Board. Does anyone know if that will delay the results?

I doubt that a 3-day delay will have much effect.
Okay, thank you. I figured as much, but I hadn't seen it done before in the last few application cycles (unless I missed something).

I had a few questions regarding Commissioning/ODS information:

1. How soon after you're PR'd will you receive a commission? I already went through MEPS and was medically cleared back when I was applying to USMC last year (I didn't go to OCS because I accepted the Navy Summer Internship), is that something I should have mentioned on my Navy App? Also, would that speed up my timeline at all?

2. When would one typically receive an ODS date? I ask this because I decided to wait and take the MPRE after the bar. The earliest date I could register to take it afterwards is August 12th, and I noticed that August 12th is the check in date for one of the earlier ODS classes.

I appreciate any responses. :)

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:03 pm

ckb525108 wrote:
1. How soon after you're PR'd will you receive a commission? I already went through MEPS and was medically cleared back when I was applying to USMC last year (I didn't go to OCS because I accepted the Navy Summer Internship), is that something I should have mentioned on my Navy App? Also, would that speed up my timeline at all?

2. When would one typically receive an ODS date? I ask this because I decided to wait and take the MPRE after the bar. The earliest date I could register to take it afterwards is August 12th, and I noticed that August 12th is the check in date for one of the earlier ODS classes.

I appreciate any responses. :)
1. I think 4-6 months is average, assuming no unusual medical issues that require a waiver. I was PR'd last December, and am just about done with the process now and am just waiting on my commissioning documents. My recruiter told me to expect them to take 3-4 weeks to arrive. So for me it'll be about 4 months. I believe you can use a an old medical clearance if it's within a year or two, but your recruiter might just send you back to MEPs anyway.

2. I think they typically send people to ODS in August or October, depending on if your state does bar results early or late. Keep in mind you can go to ODS while awaiting bar results, but you can't go to NJS without having passed.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:34 pm

PRed in December, commissioning on Friday to give people a sense of timeline. I got the sense when I talked to millington that this was on the faster side

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Got a call from accessions asking when I was taking the bar this summer. Told me forms would be following soon via email.

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:03 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:PRed in December, commissioning on Friday to give people a sense of timeline. I got the sense when I talked to millington that this was on the faster side
Congrats, man. St. Patty's Day, too. Easy to remember. :D

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:52 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:PRed in December, commissioning on Friday to give people a sense of timeline. I got the sense when I talked to millington that this was on the faster side
Congrats, Ensign!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:14 pm

Thanks. I just lost two pay grades but it's all good. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ckb525108

New

Post by ckb525108 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:50 pm

I just spoke with someone over at OJAG, and the selection rate for the fall was at 10%. I was told they anticipate the spring selection rate to be about the same at 10%. They also said we should hear back around the second or third week of April.

baileymjd

New

Post by baileymjd » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:33 pm

ckb525108 wrote:I just spoke with someone over at OJAG, and the selection rate for the fall was at 10%. I was told they anticipate the spring selection rate to be about the same at 10%. They also said we should hear back around the second or third week of April.

Thanks for the info!! Any idea what the breakdowns were? 2Ls v. 3Ls?

ckb525108

New

Post by ckb525108 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:09 pm

baileymjd wrote:
ckb525108 wrote:I just spoke with someone over at OJAG, and the selection rate for the fall was at 10%. I was told they anticipate the spring selection rate to be about the same at 10%. They also said we should hear back around the second or third week of April.

Thanks for the info!! Any idea what the breakdowns were? 2Ls v. 3Ls?

I know they took 18 3L's...I'm not sure about 2L's

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:10 pm

Just checking in. Hope all is well!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:09 am

S. Goodman wrote:Just checking in. Hope all is well!
Hey Saul! You just finished up in December at NJS, yeh? How long were you given between your NJS finish date and your report by date to your first duty station?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:28 am

What's up man? How's being a real life lawyer treating you?

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:54 am

Ramrezyeh wrote:
Hey Saul! You just finished up in December at NJS, yeh? How long were you given between your NJS finish date and your report by date to your first duty station?

It's based on miles from NJS to your duty station. I had four days. I got to my area on a Saturday, started work on Monday. We were on holiday stand down when I got to work. So every weekend was a four day weekend, and Tuesday Wednesday, and Thursday were half days.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:55 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
What's up man? How's being a real life lawyer treating you?

It's alright. Just work ha ha routine every week just waiting for the Weekend! I wish I was back in school!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”