Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
wg6524

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by wg6524 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:57 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Anyone else notice the security form they sent us to fill out is just the certification page? Or am I dumb?
I just noticed that. I like this form much better than the actual SF86. If this is the one that we'll have to live with then i'll only have a couple of updates to be done with that monstrosity... if not, i'll cry in self pity and start filling out the 100 and something page document all over again just to get eQuip access.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:16 pm

Anyone heard from their recruiter yet?

Stubbazubba

New

Post by Stubbazubba » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:33 pm

Not yet, no.

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:24 pm

Got my recruiter and processor today.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:06 pm

wg6524 wrote:Got my recruiter and processor today.
Is it just a regular OR out of a NORS?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:43 pm

usn26 wrote:
So far as I know, yes

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:59 pm

To any of those who recently went through NJS,

How/When did the Navy move you? Did they pack you up and move you? If so, when? Did you opt to just move yourself? Did any of you have to pack up a law school apartment and what did you do with your things.

I am attempting to plan out the rest of my lease and time at law school. I don't know what to do with my belongings when I move out of my student housing after the bar.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated!

rockosmodernlife

New

Post by rockosmodernlife » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Last edited by rockosmodernlife on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:20 pm

rockosmodernlife wrote:
Ramrezyeh wrote:To any of those who recently went through NJS,

How/When did the Navy move you? Did they pack you up and move you? If so, when? Did you opt to just move yourself? Did any of you have to pack up a law school apartment and what did you do with your things.

I am attempting to plan out the rest of my lease and time at law school. I don't know what to do with my belongings when I move out of my student housing after the bar.

They won't PCS you to NJS...you'll likely be put up in the chalet on base in Newport...which is essentially a hotel. But once you get your PCS orders (orders to your first duty station) the Navy will pay for all of your moving expenses and you can either a) move it yourself and be reimbursed b) they'll contract out a moving company to go to your house and pack all your things up, shipped to wherever you're going and then unpack.

This is correct.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ramrezyeh

New

Post by Ramrezyeh » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:16 pm

S. Goodman wrote:
rockosmodernlife wrote:

They won't PCS you to NJS...you'll likely be put up in the chalet on base in Newport...which is essentially a hotel. But once you get your PCS orders (orders to your first duty station) the Navy will pay for all of your moving expenses and you can either a) move it yourself and be reimbursed b) they'll contract out a moving company to go to your house and pack all your things up, shipped to wherever you're going and then unpack.

This is correct.
Fantastic, I will just plan on putting everything into storage somewhere for August-December.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:56 pm

wg6524 wrote:
usn26 wrote:
So far as I know, yes
Yeah, pretty sure my recruiter said he does more than just JAGs. So I assume he's just a regular OR.

cdemps3

New

Post by cdemps3 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Is anyone planning on taking the North Carolina bar because of the fast turn around?

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:24 pm

Ramrezyeh wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:
rockosmodernlife wrote:

This is correct.
Fantastic, I will just plan on putting everything into storage somewhere for August-December.
Did they say anything about a Partial DITY move? Every PCS i've ever gone has always left me with a car load that the gov't movers wouldn't take. They'll pack the trash that's still in your trash can, but heaven forbid you ask them to take your bottle windex. I've done partial DITY's before, but I didn't know if they were going to curtail what they would authorize us for the first move.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:34 pm

You can do a partial DITY.

Husky09

New

Post by Husky09 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:03 pm

Anyone anticipating that you'll be at the April or June ODS? Or the late summer BLC/NJS?

Does anyone have upcoming ODS orders yet?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Husky09 wrote:Anyone anticipating that you'll be at the April or June ODS? Or the late summer BLC/NJS?

I imagine that's going to be in the middle of school/bar prep/the bar for most of us SP selectees. I'm guessing the only people doing the spring/summer stuff will be DA types.

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:20 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Husky09 wrote:Anyone anticipating that you'll be at the April or June ODS? Or the late summer BLC/NJS?

I imagine that's going to be in the middle of school/bar prep/the bar for most of us SP selectees. I'm guessing the only people doing the spring/summer stuff will be DA types.
RUMINT reports that the October ODS class may or may not make based on what happens with the budget. Anyone else hear something like that? My concern is that if the October ODS class doesn't make, it's going to jack the FY18 schedule.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:30 pm

wg6524 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

RUMINT reports that the October ODS class may or may not make based on what happens with the budget. Anyone else hear something like that? My concern is that if the October ODS class doesn't make, it's going to jack the FY18 schedule.
I've heard RUMINT going both ways. I've heard that the October ODS class may not happen due to budgetary issues, but also that this budget scare is a recurring thing every year and every year it gets resolved.

Eric.Harvey

New

Post by Eric.Harvey » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:44 am

wg6524 wrote:
Stubbazubba wrote:So I don't remember the fellow on the phone mentioning about what to expect/do next. Is there an e-mail packet coming, a snail mail packet, or am I supposed to be reaching out for something more?
My understanding is that there's an official notification email that will go out soon. We'll have to accept or reject within a certain time period (15-20 days) then they'll assign us a recruiter for the commissioning part. That's when all the fun paperwork begins.

Here's my concern on NJS. When does medical start for my family? Honestly, I'm pretty comfortable on TRICARE right now with the reserves. My understanding is that when we commission, it's to the IRR, then to the AD list for ODS, then to the IRR again until bar results, then back to the AD list for NJS and beyond. From my understanding, once I get separation orders from the USAR, TRICARE stops and I might be able to get COBRA (or whatever they're calling it now). The time at ODS wouldn't be enough to start the TRICARE benefit and you can't get TRICARE Reserve in the IRR.

So here's my thought: Can I wait to go to ODS until after I can line up ODS and NJS back to back? Minimize the downtime and hassle with keeping my kiddos' doctor's intact.

Whenever you enter or exit AD you have a six month Tricare window on both ends. If you are currently on Tricare right now that will cover you up until you commission. But you should always contact Tricare to confirm your coverage eligibility because they can always make some exceptions if they are feeling generous.

Decimus

Bronze

Post by Decimus » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:26 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Anyone else gone through the process who is a reservist? Wondering if you need to go through MEPs/security clearance again if you already have a medical clearance/security clearance.
Yes to MEPS and they want you to update you SF 86, but as long as it's current it won't be submitted for investigation or anything.

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:34 am

Eric.Harvey wrote:
wg6524 wrote:
Stubbazubba wrote:So I don't remember the fellow on the phone mentioning about what to expect/do next. Is there an e-mail packet coming, a snail mail packet, or am I supposed to be reaching out for something more?
My understanding is that there's an official notification email that will go out soon. We'll have to accept or reject within a certain time period (15-20 days) then they'll assign us a recruiter for the commissioning part. That's when all the fun paperwork begins.

Here's my concern on NJS. When does medical start for my family? Honestly, I'm pretty comfortable on TRICARE right now with the reserves. My understanding is that when we commission, it's to the IRR, then to the AD list for ODS, then to the IRR again until bar results, then back to the AD list for NJS and beyond. From my understanding, once I get separation orders from the USAR, TRICARE stops and I might be able to get COBRA (or whatever they're calling it now). The time at ODS wouldn't be enough to start the TRICARE benefit and you can't get TRICARE Reserve in the IRR.

So here's my thought: Can I wait to go to ODS until after I can line up ODS and NJS back to back? Minimize the downtime and hassle with keeping my kiddos' doctor's intact.

Whenever you enter or exit AD you have a six month Tricare window on both ends. If you are currently on Tricare right now that will cover you up until you commission. But you should always contact Tricare to confirm your coverage eligibility because they can always make some exceptions if they are feeling generous.
The problem is that to go to law school, I went SELRES. I had that TAMP-180 when I left AD. I've never heard of the six months before active duty TIRCARE eligibility though, I'm going to call and find out more. Thanks for the idea!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Decimus

Bronze

Post by Decimus » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:48 am

wg6524 wrote:
Eric.Harvey wrote:
wg6524 wrote:

The problem is that to go to law school, I went SELRES. I had that TAMP-180 when I left AD. I've never heard of the six months before active duty TIRCARE eligibility though, I'm going to call and find out more. Thanks for the idea!
I'm in the same situation--so if you find something out, let me know! So far, everyone just shrugs. I'm reticent to call Tricare on the chance that I'd actually just be tipping them off.

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:21 pm

Decimus wrote:
wg6524 wrote:
Eric.Harvey wrote:
wg6524 wrote:

I'm in the same situation--so if you find something out, let me know! So far, everyone just shrugs. I'm reticent to call Tricare on the chance that I'd actually just be tipping them off.
I keep getting shrugs from recruiting also. It's like they don't get "dinged" on their mission requirement if they have attrition due to non-procedure type stuff. When I've worked around USAREC (Army Recruiting) in years past, losing someone due to something you could have helped figure out (like healthcare) was an easy way to end up in in the 1SG's office.

I called TRICARE and laid it out for them. They said they've seen people in my situation before and can help with the CHAMPS benefit which is 3,087 for a family paid per quarter, in advance and generally not refundable if you use only a partial quarter. I'll keep you advised as to what they say when I call tomorrow

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 pm

wg6524 wrote:
Decimus wrote:
wg6524 wrote:
Eric.Harvey wrote:
wg6524 wrote:

The conversation with TRICARE boiled down to "We have TAMP-180 on the back end of AD time; but nothing for the front end. You'd have to use the CHCBP to cover you."

I keep getting shrugs from recruiting also. It's like they don't get "dinged" on their mission requirement if they have attrition due to non-procedure type stuff. When I've worked around USAREC (Army Recruiting) in years past, losing someone due to something you could have helped figure out (like healthcare) was an easy way to end up in in the 1SG's office.

I called TRICARE and laid it out for them. They said they've seen people in my situation before and can help with the CHAMPS benefit which is 3,087 for a family paid per quarter, in advance and generally not refundable if you use only a partial quarter. I'll keep you advised as to what they say when I call tomorrow

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:34 pm

wg6524 wrote:
wg6524 wrote:
Decimus wrote:
wg6524 wrote:
Eric.Harvey wrote:
wg6524 wrote:

The conversation with TRICARE boiled down to "We have TAMP-180 on the back end of AD time; but nothing for the front end. You'd have to use the CHCBP to cover you."

Sorry. Try that one again. The conversation with TRICARE boiled down to "We have TAMP-180 on the back end of AD time; but nothing for the front end. You'd have to use the CHCBP to cover you."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”