Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Elle in Combat Boots

New

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 pm

MichaelGScott wrote:Any idea how quick the turnaround will be for selecting paid summer interns following the 4 April deadline? I will have to back out of another opportunity I have accepted if selected. I am also waiting for Spring Board results and would love an opportunity to intern at a RLSO, but it is not going to be fun breaking a previous commitment.
Unfortunately, I don't think anyone knows. Because it's a paid gig, there are a lot more offices/departments involved than with the unpaid internships. Best estimate: selection notifications made first week of May for an early June start date? Timing isn't great, obviously. I'll post timelines if I hear of any.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:46 pm

lawdaddy1 wrote:
Thank you very much sir! :) I am most interested in AF Jag (I know wrong post, sorry Navy) and am seriously considering
the GLP program. I have heard that this puts a fairly heavy workload on an already busy law students life but am willing to do this.
Can you highlight any reasons why I should do GLP vs the one year program or DA other than the obvious? How soon can you hit
the ground running once the training is done? Is there such thing as a typical case load or is it all over the map depending
on the base etc? I am a 0L and will be choosing between Notre Dame and Vandy in the next couple of weeks. I know ND has
an ROTC attached and Vandy uses cross town Tennessee State, but does having an ROTC on campus help an ND student get the
prorec any more than a Vandy student? This is something I worry about and would influence my decision. Lastly with a 167 LSAT
and assuming median make me competitive for a GLP spot? Sorry for all the questions but I am seriously looking at this and am very focused on the criminal aspect of law so any help is greatly appreciated.
I did my best to answer your questions over on he Military Law thread so as to not hijack this thread too much.

lawdaddy1

New

Post by lawdaddy1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:06 am

Elle in Combat Boots wrote:
lawdaddy1 wrote:Can any current JAG speak to work life after FTJA? Do court room things pick up after the first
two years of hand holding? I have heard stories..... I don't just "want a job". I would be doing this to get
active trial experience and time in the court room. Wondering the differences between AF and Navy in this regard.
Marine JAG seems to be the most active, can anyone comment on that? Thanks for any input.
If you want a MILJUS billet after FTJA, you usually can get it but a lot comes down to timing, the available billets when you rotate, and YOUR flexibility w.r.t. those billets. Most second tour LTs I know either did SJA stuff (i.e. base SJA, carrier-mini, ARG, sub squadron) or they went MILJUS (to include OJAG appellate codes).

They also adjusted the FTJA program (previously mentioned on this forum) where your second full year is spent either in defense or trial. This is meant to allow FTJAs to get courtroom experience. Those participating in the redesigned program are just now starting their MILJUS rotation, so stay tuned to hear how much courtroom experience they get during that year.
Thank you Elle. That is good news from my perspective as I had not seen anything about the change to the second year of FTJA. I will look for that.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:45 am

lawdaddy1 wrote:
lawdaddy1 wrote:Can any current JAG speak to work life after FTJA? Do court room things pick up after the first
two years of hand holding? I have heard stories..... I don't just "want a job". I would be doing this to get
active trial experience and time in the court room. Wondering the differences between AF and Navy in this regard.
Marine JAG seems to be the most active, can anyone comment on that? Thanks for any input.
If you want a MILJUS billet after FTJA, you usually can get it but a lot comes down to timing, the available billets when you rotate, and YOUR flexibility w.r.t. those billets. Most second tour LTs I know either did SJA stuff (i.e. base SJA, carrier-mini, ARG, sub squadron) or they went MILJUS (to include OJAG appellate codes).

They also adjusted the FTJA program (previously mentioned on this forum) where your second full year is spent either in defense or trial. This is meant to allow FTJAs to get courtroom experience. Those participating in the redesigned program are just now starting their MILJUS rotation, so stay tuned to hear how much courtroom experience they get during that year.
Thank you Elle. That is good news from my perspective as I had not seen anything about the change to the second year of FTJA. I will look for that.
Yeah basically, as I was told by my interviewing Commander - it used to be 4, 6 month rotations between Op Law, Legal Aid, Defense and Prosec. or something to that nature. But now of those 24 months, 12 are spent in either prosec. or defense with the idea that this gives you more time to work through some trials over longer terms while giving you substantial perspective. From the outside looking in, seems like a marked improvement on the FTJA plan.

CJLaw09

New

Post by CJLaw09 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:52 am

My understanding from a prior poster is that the Spring Board was held a few weeks ago. If true, that means our fates have already been decided and our lives possibly changed drastically—and we are blissfully unaware.

Does that make anyone else feel the slightest bit weird?

For me, this wait has been wholly different than waiting for bar results.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MichaelGScott

New

Post by MichaelGScott » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Elle in Combat Boots wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think anyone knows. Because it's a paid gig, there are a lot more offices/departments involved than with the unpaid internships. Best estimate: selection notifications made first week of May for an early June start date? Timing isn't great, obviously. I'll post timelines if I hear of any.
Awesome, thanks for the estimation anyways! I definitely wouldn't feel great about backing out with less than a month's notice on someone but I certainly might do it for this opportunity.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:25 pm

CJLaw09 wrote:My understanding from a prior poster is that the Spring Board was held a few weeks ago. If true, that means our fates have already been decided and our lives possibly changed drastically—and we are blissfully unaware.

Does that make anyone else feel the slightest bit weird?

For me, this wait has been wholly different than waiting for bar results.
Sure, A bit weird for sure. Granted I haven't yet experienced waiting for Bar results, and it is similar in that there will be a point where your fate is sealed and you don't know it yet with that scenario as well. I do think that given the stats for Bar pass rate versus Navy JAG it makes the feel of the whole situation a bit different between the two. Nonetheless, for now, all I have to ponder over is this, and ponder over it daily I do... In a moment of insanity, I nearly considered calling up the accessions office today for a status update, despite knowing there was nothing to learn. But then my better judgment kicked in and I went back to waiting, I mean taking notes in Con Law...

3LOL3

New

Post by 3LOL3 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:44 am

I haven't seen too many already PR'd, commissioned, waiting to graduate 3L's posting lately...so this might not get answered...but have any graduating 3L's going Navy JAG been contacted about submitting geographic preferences yet for first duty station? Getting worried I missed an email or something because I was told that in previous years everyone submitted preferences around January. Elle, have any gouge?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:50 pm

3LOL3 wrote:I haven't seen too many already PR'd, commissioned, waiting to graduate 3L's posting lately...so this might not get answered...but have any graduating 3L's going Navy JAG been contacted about submitting geographic preferences yet for first duty station? Getting worried I missed an email or something because I was told that in previous years everyone submitted preferences around January. Elle, have any gouge?
The detailing shop is short-staffed and the priority is folks headed to ODS later this month (they just found out where their first duty stations are last week) and LTs PCSing this summer. A single officer handles detailing ODS, NJS, first duty stations, AND all LTs.

I wouldn't worry too much--most people won't find out where they are going until closer to their ODS class date anyway.

FWIW, still no anticipated release date on Spring Board results...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Belay my last.

Results are out. PRORECs & Alternates have been notified via email, everyone's status on application site updated.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:28 pm

Elle in Combat Boots wrote:Belay my last.

Results are out. PRORECs & Alternates have been notified via email, everyone's status on application site updated.
Thanks Elle for the continuous updates. Congrats to all those PRO REC'd. I'll be curious to see what the numbers look like. I was not so lucky this time. But have two more bites at the apple. But sitting on this all summer and wondering how on earth to improve my application over the next 5 months without the ability to interview again, is going to be rough. But worth it in the long run if it ultimately means a PR.

I hope others have more positive and exciting news to share today!

jaglaw23

New

Post by jaglaw23 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:17 pm

I've been a long time lurker and thank everyone for the information that I've read and has been a great help! I got Pro-rec'd can't believe it, got dinged on my first application and wasn't so hopeful this time around.

I have a question for those that have done the physical assessment. From what I've read, the max body fat allowed is 23%. But, what I can't tell is whether your body fat is measured if you are below the maximum weight allowed for your height. I easily meet any weight requirement, but, am skinny-fat so I'm not sure my body fat is below 23%. Will they measure body fat if I am below the weight requirement.

ak7ja

New

Post by ak7ja » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:21 pm

jaglaw23 wrote:I've been a long time lurker and thank everyone for the information that I've read and has been a great help! I got Pro-rec'd can't believe it, got dinged on my first application and wasn't so hopeful this time around.

I have a question for those that have done the physical assessment. From what I've read, the max body fat allowed is 23%. But, what I can't tell is whether your body fat is measured if you are below the maximum weight allowed for your height. I easily meet any weight requirement, but, am skinny-fat so I'm not sure my body fat is below 23%. Will they measure body fat if I am below the weight requirement.

Congrats! They'll only tape you if you don't meet the height/weight requirements.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:26 pm

No joy x4. For a half second there I thought I had a chance lol.

lawschoolgirl12345

New

Post by lawschoolgirl12345 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:07 pm

I didn't get in second time around. How much do grades matter? Because everything else seems to be great for me except law school grades. LSAT if great, lots of work experience (USAO, state court judge, navy jag summer internship), interview went well, undergrad grades are stellar (almost 4.0 GPA), lots of extracurrilars in law school and undergrad, diversity factor (bilingual and lived in europe for 18 years), gave up my citizenship for the internship with navy jag, photo on app looks great, maybe letter of intent was alright but could be better...Why are my law school grades holding me back so much? How much do grades matter?

jaglaw23

New

Post by jaglaw23 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:53 pm

ak7ja wrote:
jaglaw23 wrote:I've been a long time lurker and thank everyone for the information that I've read and has been a great help! I got Pro-rec'd can't believe it, got dinged on my first application and wasn't so hopeful this time around.

Congrats! They'll only tape you if you don't meet the height/weight requirements.

Great news! Thanks

jaglaw23

New

Post by jaglaw23 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:01 pm

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote:I didn't get in second time around. How much do grades matter? Because everything else seems to be great for me except law school grades. LSAT if great, lots of work experience (USAO, state court judge, navy jag summer internship), interview went well, undergrad grades are stellar (almost 4.0 GPA), lots of extracurrilars in law school and undergrad, diversity factor (bilingual and lived in europe for 18 years), gave up my citizenship for the internship with navy jag, photo on app looks great, maybe letter of intent was alright but could be better...Why are my law school grades holding me back so much? How much do grades matter?
You can reach out and ask for feedback if you weren't Pro rec'd. I did it, the feedback wasn't very detailed. They basically said, your application was competitive, apply again and emphasize this leadership position on your personal statement. Not much advice but, I did what they said and got rec'd the second time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zarzamora

New

Post by zarzamora » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:10 pm

For those of you who have gone through the whole process, do you remember how long it took from the time you got the final selection letter from Millington to actually being able to commission? I got mine about a month ago and was told now we're just waiting on the "scroll." Any idea how much longer that should take?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:25 pm

jaglaw23 wrote: You can reach out and ask for feedback if you weren't Pro rec'd.
Note the new policy as listed in the brand new FAQ section of the website ("contact us" page)... The recruiting & accessions office no longer provides individual feedback.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:35 pm

zarzamora wrote:For those of you who have gone through the whole process, do you remember how long it took from the time you got the final selection letter from Millington to actually being able to commission? I got mine about a month ago and was told now we're just waiting on the "scroll." Any idea how much longer that should take?
The scroll process has been a beast this past year for a lot of folks, not just in the JAGC and not just within the Navy. If you were told that all you are waiting on is the scroll to come back, you are in good shape, but there is no estimate for when it will come back from Congress.

There's this saying we have in the military: "Hurry up and wait"...

fuzz

New

Post by fuzz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:50 pm

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote:I didn't get in second time around. How much do grades matter? Because everything else seems to be great for me except law school grades. LSAT if great, lots of work experience (USAO, state court judge, navy jag summer internship), interview went well, undergrad grades are stellar (almost 4.0 GPA), lots of extracurrilars in law school and undergrad, diversity factor (bilingual and lived in europe for 18 years), gave up my citizenship for the internship with navy jag, photo on app looks great, maybe letter of intent was alright but could be better...Why are my law school grades holding me back so much? How much do grades matter?
I also just got dinged for the second time, and I have solid grades at a T10. I did the Navy JAG summer internship, have great work/service experience, lots of extracurricular leadership experience in law school, etc. I honestly don't know how I could be more competitive. My only thought is that it's just incredibly hard to get in as a 2L right now. Oh well, hopefully I'll get in next fall!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jaglaw23

New

Post by jaglaw23 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:15 am

jaglaw23 wrote: You can reach out and ask for feedback if you weren't Pro rec'd.
Note the new policy as listed in the brand new FAQ section of the website ("contact us" page)... The recruiting & accessions office no longer provides individual feedback.
Interesting, that's a very new change.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:08 am

Hmmm, noted. Remembering that you said you aren’t directly involved in the selection process, how would you suggest we gather any information or feedback on how to improve to insure an improved chance of selection in the next board? Or is this move intentional to make it harder to improve? I get logistically why the policy of no individual feedback makes sense. But being that we are already in a position of limited ability to improve our app, it makes me wonder about what direction to take to brainstorm improvement.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:51 am

Dawg57 wrote: Hmmm, noted. Remembering that you said you aren’t directly involved in the selection process, how would you suggest we gather any information or feedback on how to improve to insure an improved chance of selection in the next board? Or is this move intentional to make it harder to improve? I get logistically why the policy of no individual feedback makes sense. But being that we are already in a position of limited ability to improve our app, it makes me wonder about what direction to take to brainstorm improvement.
From what I can gather, it's merely a time-constraint. I reviewed an intern's application last summer, and it was a good 45-60 minutes reviewing what he submitted and conducting a follow up discussion on what he could improve. If dozens (or more?) are calling to ask for that kind of individual attention, I imagine it would be debilitating.

There have been plenty of discussions in this thread and the Military Law thread on what makes for a competitive application--nothing else I can really add. If you were (are?) an intern/extern, you could reach back to your supervisor to ask for an application review. If an officer visits your school, bring your resume & motivational statement and ask for their feedback.

Keep applying. I know an officer who was selected on his 5th try, and a few prior interns that weren't selected until their 3rd or 4th applications.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:05 am

Dawg57 wrote: Hmmm, noted. Remembering that you said you aren’t directly involved in the selection process, how would you suggest we gather any information or feedback on how to improve to insure an improved chance of selection in the next board? Or is this move intentional to make it harder to improve? I get logistically why the policy of no individual feedback makes sense. But being that we are already in a position of limited ability to improve our app, it makes me wonder about what direction to take to brainstorm improvement.
From what I can gather, it's merely a time-constraint. I reviewed an intern's application last summer, and it was a good 45-60 minutes reviewing what he submitted and conducting a follow up discussion on what he could improve. If dozens (or more?) are calling to ask for that kind of individual attention, I imagine it would be debilitating.

There have been plenty of discussions in this thread and the Military Law thread on what makes for a competitive application--nothing else I can really add. If you were (are?) an intern/extern, you could reach back to your supervisor to ask for an application review. If an officer visits your school, bring your resume & motivational statement and ask for their feedback.

Keep applying. I know an officer who was selected on his 5th try, and a few prior interns that weren't selected until their 3rd or 4th applications.
I can totally understand how its pure resource management to no longer allow individual review. Makes sense really given the efforts to speed up and clean up this whole process, which I think we are already seeing the fruits of. This is appreciated advice, I have professional connections with JAG Officers through the channels you suggest as well as others, so I suppose taking the time to talk with them about my application when afforded the chance is the next step in my process. I intend to apply, in perpetuity, until I get in and I am willing and able to accept the "hurry up and wait" lifestyle of work in the military. But I can honestly say it'll be easier to embrace that concept if/once I am actually on the path to a commission.

As always, thank you for the feedback and words of guidance. Its incredible how over years this thread and the Military Law thread there are always folks working within branches willing to take tons of their own time to help those of us trying to get in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”