Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Fed_Atty

Bronze

Re: Military Law - Navy Jag Student Program

Post by Fed_Atty » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:46 pm

JAGbound wrote:
Fed_Atty wrote:They just released the usual message:

Accepted 37 of 279 - not broken up by class year or direct appointment.

Some with prior military, usual smattering of languages spoken, moot court, law review etc.

Congrats - have fun at ODS and NJS, lately promotion rate to O4 has been super solid and for CSB

Have fun, and don’t be an asshole to your fellow JAGs
Seems surprising. I thought it would be closer to 20% with the Navy expressing a willingness to grow the Jag Corps?
You have to realize that it is the overall selection rate, so perhaps there were a ton of DA applicants and they could only select 15% - but for 3L applicants there were significantly fewer overall applicants. Even if the selection rate was 50% the overall could still be low.

jagapplicanthopeful

New

Post by jagapplicanthopeful » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Has everyone who was PRORECed and/or selected as an alternate received their phone call and/or email yet?

RoddyAA

New

Post by RoddyAA » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:17 am

jagapplicanthopeful wrote:Has everyone who was PRORECed and/or selected as an alternate received their phone call and/or email yet?
No. Just an update on the application portal.

mjade

New

Post by mjade » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:10 am

RoddyAA wrote:
jagapplicanthopeful wrote:Has everyone who was PRORECed and/or selected as an alternate received their phone call and/or email yet?
I got a call Tuesday that I’d been PRORECed as an alternate. My application was updated online today, but I still haven’t received the email with additional information.

This was my fourth applicant so I’m very hopeful that I get bumped up. Does anyone know how that works and what the chances are?

mjade

New

Post by mjade » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:23 am

mjade wrote:
RoddyAA wrote:
I got a call Tuesday that I’d been PRORECed as an alternate. My application was updated online today, but I still haven’t received the email with additional information.

This was my fourth applicant so I’m very hopeful that I get bumped up. Does anyone know how that works and what the chances are?
Just received the email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RoddyAA

New

Post by RoddyAA » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:08 pm

mjade wrote:
mjade wrote:
RoddyAA wrote:

Just received the email.
Same here!

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:21 pm

JAGbound wrote:Professionally recommended! Congrats to everyone and thank you all for your help throughout the application process.
Congrats JB! I wanna say you have lurked this thread as long as I have, or at least long enough for multiple cycles. Assuming a smooth commissioning process for both of us I can’t wait to see you at ODS and In the fleet!

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:43 pm

Some with prior military, usual smattering of languages spoken, moot court, law review etc.

Congrats - have fun at ODS and NJS, lately promotion rate to O4 has been super solid and for CSB

What is CSB?

JerseyJag

New

Post by JerseyJag » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi all,

Long time lurker here!

First, I want to thank the regular contributors to the thread, especially Elle. Y'all provide a ton of useful information and I'm very appreciative.
I'm a 2L who was not pro rec'd this semester. Given the stats, it looks like I'm in good company! I applied to the paid summer internship program and was notified by e-mail today that I was "referred" to the hiring committee. The e-mail very clearly states that it's not a job offer and it's painfully clear to me that this is a competitive process. That said, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about:
A. the timeline of the hiring committee given that they released pro rec decisions earlier than stated.
B. I'd love some rampant speculation about the odds of being accepted to the internship once referred to the committee.
C. Most importantly though I'm wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of being pro rec'd after the summer internship.

Stats:
T30
3.28 GPA
3.59 UGPA
163 LSAT
Softs: Moot Court, Journal, TA, Clinic, 1L summer fed. clerkship, previous work experience, Congressional internship
*No military background

Thanks for your time!
-JJ

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:57 pm

Dawg57 wrote:

What is CSB?
CSB is Career Status Board. All student program & direct appt JAGs go through it around the 3-year anniversary of when they completed NJS. Last I heard, selection at CSB was ~100% for the last 3-4 years. Not sure if that is still true or will continue to hold, but being selected there is how you apply for the first continuation pay bonus (30k), which is dispersed at ~4 years of active duty.

Totally second Fed_Atty's advice. Your reputation starts day 1 at ODS--don't forget that.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:29 pm

JerseyJag wrote: A. the timeline of the hiring committee given that they released pro rec decisions earlier than stated.
B. I'd love some rampant speculation about the odds of being accepted to the internship once referred to the committee.
C. Most importantly though I'm wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of being pro rec'd after the summer internship.
A. No clue. I was originally told they (recruiting folks) wanted offers done sometime in April. While they are in the same office (Code 61) that manages the accession boards, the paid internship application process is completely different than unpaid intern or the accessions applications.

B. No clue.

C. See prior posts in this thread for discussion & actual stats. It is by no means a guarantee, but can help.

TortsIllustratedd

New

Post by TortsIllustratedd » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:58 pm

Does anyone have any idea how long the commissioning process finalization takes after MEPS has been completed and your packet is submitted? How long after this are we expected to commission? Thank you!

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:00 pm

TortsIllustratedd wrote:Does anyone have any idea how long the commissioning process finalization takes after MEPS has been completed and your packet is submitted? How long after this are we expected to commission? Thank you!
As short as a week, as long as a month.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:26 pm

TortsIllustratedd wrote:Does anyone have any idea how long the commissioning process finalization takes after MEPS has been completed and your packet is submitted? How long after this are we expected to commission? Thank you!
Have you already completed MEPS?? I haven’t even spoken to a recruiter yet, lol.

JAGbound

New

Post by JAGbound » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:11 pm

Hello everyone! I have a rather narrow question I hope one of the prior/current service members could help with. I'm prior service (10 yrs) and will want to "opt out" of the new 401K retirement system. I was told I would have 30 days once active to convey I want to be on the old retirement system. With the odd track JAGs have (i.e., OCS, NJS) with being inactive in between, I was curious at what point I need to speak up? I don't want to put my trust into MEPS or any other initial paperwork. Anyone have advice or can speak from personal experience?

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:55 pm

So a question for those that have been through it or know about it. For ODS & NJs what will the pay look like? I am married and will have a lease and what not to deal with back home while at both. Trying to plan ahead. Will it be just base pay at Both? Base at ods and then base + bah at NJS? Any bas or per diems in there? What’s your experience so I can begin to plan expectations until I hear official word of what to expect?

ubersaurusrex

New

Post by ubersaurusrex » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Dawg57 wrote:So a question for those that have been through it or know about it. For ODS & NJs what will the pay look like? I am married and will have a lease and what not to deal with back home while at both. Trying to plan ahead. Will it be just base pay at Both? Base at ods and then base + bah at NJS? Any bas or per diems in there? What’s your experience so I can begin to plan expectations until I hear official word of what to expect?
You'll get paid base, BAH, and BAS at both. ODS BAH will be for your current zip code and NJS will depend if you go straight through or report to your command in between. You might also get FSA, but I'm not sure if that applies for ODS or just NJS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ak7ja

New

Post by ak7ja » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:19 am

JAGbound wrote:Hello everyone! I have a rather narrow question I hope one of the prior/current service members could help with. I'm prior service (10 yrs) and will want to "opt out" of the new 401K retirement system. I was told I would have 30 days once active to convey I want to be on the old retirement system. With the odd track JAGs have (i.e., OCS, NJS) with being inactive in between, I was curious at what point I need to speak up? I don't want to put my trust into MEPS or any other initial paperwork. Anyone have advice or can speak from personal experience?
For prior service folks you don't have to opt-out of the old retirement system...you would have to opt-in to the new BRS. In order to opt-in you have to do this online training and change something on mypay. I didn't opt-in so I don't know the process, but it's not an automatic thing. Hope that helps.

ak7ja

New

Post by ak7ja » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:22 am

Dawg57 wrote:So a question for those that have been through it or know about it. For ODS & NJs what will the pay look like? I am married and will have a lease and what not to deal with back home while at both. Trying to plan ahead. Will it be just base pay at Both? Base at ods and then base + bah at NJS? Any bas or per diems in there? What’s your experience so I can begin to plan expectations until I hear official word of what to expect?
Be prepared to not get paid until after ODS (all back pay) and for your pay to not kick in for a few pay cycles while at NJS.

ubersaurusrex

New

Post by ubersaurusrex » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:31 pm

I'm an alternate for the direct appointment program. The processor at my recruiting office notified me that my package has gone to the program manager for review. Can anyone lay out what the process and timeline for the rest of this is going to look like?

Thanks.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:44 pm

ubersaurusrex wrote:I'm an alternate for the direct appointment program. The processor at my recruiting office notified me that my package has gone to the program manager for review. Can anyone lay out what the process and timeline for the rest of this is going to look like?

Thanks.
From what I understand, that’s great news. Congrats for moving forward! I could speculate on your timeline compared to what I’ve experienced the last few months as an AD select, but honestly I would recommend reaching out to whoever your POC is at Code 61. They are super helpful and at the very least will tell you what to do/who to talk to next so you are being proactive and not wasting time. I’ve bugged them a lot within reason and they have been nothing but positive and as helpful as they can be.

Side note: not doubting you, just curious... how did you know the pay details about getting BAH, BAS, etc at ODS and NJS that you answered in the reply above^??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ubersaurusrex

New

Post by ubersaurusrex » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:24 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
ubersaurusrex wrote:I'm an alternate for the direct appointment program. The processor at my recruiting office notified me that my package has gone to the program manager for review. Can anyone lay out what the process and timeline for the rest of this is going to look like?

Thanks.
From what I understand, that’s great news. Congrats for moving forward! I could speculate on your timeline compared to what I’ve experienced the last few months as an AD select, but honestly I would recommend reaching out to whoever your POC is at Code 61. They are super helpful and at the very least will tell you what to do/who to talk to next so you are being proactive and not wasting time. I’ve bugged them a lot within reason and they have been nothing but positive and as helpful as they can be.

Side note: not doubting you, just curious... how did you know the pay details about getting BAH, BAS, etc at ODS and NJS that you answered in the reply above^??
They've been super helpful to me as well, I just don't want to bug them unnecessarily. If appreciate any insight you've got. As for the above, some of it is in this FAQhttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VBRIKmI5HK and some of it is because I'm prior service. The advice about being prepared to not get paid for awhile is also on point.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:45 pm

ubersaurusrex wrote:
Dawg57 wrote:

Thanks.

They've been super helpful to me as well, I just don't want to bug them unnecessarily. If appreciate any insight you've got. As for the above, some of it is in this FAQhttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VBRIKmI5HK and some of it is because I'm prior service. The advice about being prepared to not get paid for awhile is also on point.

That’s a helpful link that, despite my digging, I hadn’t found yet. Thanks! As far as processing moving forward. The big push I got from 61 was to stay on top of getting ahold of my recruiter. It took awhile but once I did my assigned recruiting officer has been the one moving me along (getting MEPS scheduled, getting my SF86 done, etc)

They are going to be running point and getting everything done for you so that when scroll comes back for your name you can be ready to swear your oath and sign commissioning paperwork. The process may be a bit different for you as a DA applicant. But I guess my advice would be reach out to the recruiter and just make sure there isn’t anything you can be doing. For example, you have to physically come in to fill out a fairly simple medical history questionnaire and sign it in order to even get approved to schedule a MEPS date. Also, the portal you use to give background info for your SF86 is labor and time intensive (think like character and fitness for the Bar exam intensive). So it can take time. I’d say making sure your recruiter knows that you want to start that stuff as soon as you can will at least make sure you don’t have any dead time where you *could* have been doing something. Otherwise, ya know... it’s the wait game... i hustled through the prelim stuff Only to have MEPS rescheduled twice because of things out of our control. Oh well, lol.

ubersaurusrex

New

Post by ubersaurusrex » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:21 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
ubersaurusrex wrote:
Dawg57 wrote:

Thanks.

That’s a helpful link that, despite my digging, I hadn’t found yet. Thanks! As far as processing moving forward. The big push I got from 61 was to stay on top of getting ahold of my recruiter. It took awhile but once I did my assigned recruiting officer has been the one moving me along (getting MEPS scheduled, getting my SF86 done, etc)

They are going to be running point and getting everything done for you so that when scroll comes back for your name you can be ready to swear your oath and sign commissioning paperwork. The process may be a bit different for you as a DA applicant. But I guess my advice would be reach out to the recruiter and just make sure there isn’t anything you can be doing. For example, you have to physically come in to fill out a fairly simple medical history questionnaire and sign it in order to even get approved to schedule a MEPS date. Also, the portal you use to give background info for your SF86 is labor and time intensive (think like character and fitness for the Bar exam intensive). So it can take time. I’d say making sure your recruiter knows that you want to start that stuff as soon as you can will at least make sure you don’t have any dead time where you *could* have been doing something. Otherwise, ya know... it’s the wait game... i hustled through the prelim stuff Only to have MEPS rescheduled twice because of things out of our control. Oh well, lol.
I guess I should have been more clear about the stage of the process I'm at. I've been to MEPS, gotten fingerprinted, and filled out my SF-86. That paperwork, plus some other random forms, got reviewed by a processor at my recruiting station and forwarded to the next stage of review. What I wanted to know is how long that review is going to take and when I might expect to hear back from them.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:27 pm

ubersaurusrex wrote:
Dawg57 wrote:
ubersaurusrex wrote:
Dawg57 wrote:

Thanks.

I guess I should have been more clear about the stage of the process I'm at. I've been to MEPS, gotten fingerprinted, and filled out my SF-86. That paperwork, plus some other random forms, got reviewed by a processor at my recruiting station and forwarded to the next stage of review. What I wanted to know is how long that review is going to take and when I might expect to hear back from them.

Well, I didn’t feel very useful before. Now I feel highly incompetent. Haha. Sorry about that. Now I’m concerned at how far behind I am in the process compared to you. Just thankful that I’ll hopefully be through MEPS by next week. I just don’t want to be the last one in the door and end up not going to NJS until next year. Oh well. Good luck and I hope it’s not too long of a wait for you. Imhooe to see you in Newport!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”