How to handle law school dismissal? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SecondTimeAround

New

Re: How to handle law school dismissal?

Post by SecondTimeAround » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:12 am

Good catch, dssinc. I left Gore out purposely, I admit. But then I think that case was unwinnable for Gore. For an interesting take on the case, including a criticism of Boies' approach, see: http://www.thenation.com/doc/20010205/bugliosi. Still, the point stands: Boies, despite his learning disability, or perhaps because of it, is a great lawyer. (If you recall, Gore originally hired Harvard constitutional law professor Lawrence Tribe, with whom he was disappointed. Boies replaced Tribe. If those two couldn't win it, who could?)

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:02 am

bump for update?

scoop

New

Law School Dismissal, Reinstatement letter HELP!

Post by scoop » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:18 am

I currently have been dismissed from law school after my first year for grades. FIrst semester I did fine. My second semester I had some personal problems at home with family which stole my focus and need a 2.0 to stay in school my cumulative GPA dropped to a 1.97.

I am petitioning to be reinstated into law school and to be on probation or a fresh start semester. I need to write what was wrong, and how I am going to succeed and my plan for success. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know ASAP for i have to have this letter in my Thursday!

How long do you think it should be, or any good advice I should use or you have used in your past to keep you in school? I will do anything it takes!

PLEASE HELP!

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:04 am

No, if the OP was diagnosed with a learnign disability, it's something like ADD, Dyslexia etc. My friend growing up ADHD really bad. Really bright kid, but after about 30 min, his test went straight to shit.

Basically, they figure out how smart you are (what you SHOULD get on an exam) and adjust your time accordingly. I think it's an achievement test where time isn't an issue, then they basically give you a longer one and see how you'd do. Some get 1.25x time, some get as high as 2.5x time. They figure it out based on the discrepancy between aptitude and achievement. There is usually a gross disparity.

My friend and I both got similar grades in school and we ended up with the same SAT (close to- he got like 30 points higher IIRC) and he had 1.5x time. I'd say he was pretty much right on par with me in terms of aptitude. I was in almost all the same classes as him since 6th grade because we had a bit of a unique schedule. We were the only two assholes to get dropped from honors English, mostly on purpose, because we were too lazy to do the reading assignments. We were in honors everything else- which was weird. Over the years, you get a good idea of what's up.

For what it's worth, he's a nuclear engineer now.
Last edited by GodSpeed on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:08 am

buffalo-best wrote:That shows that you cant really think FAST, whats gonna happen on stuff like objection responses?
Read my post above. It doesn't mean that at all. It means he cant sit there and stare at a piece of paper for 4 hours straight or read quickly. Not thinking fast speaks of intelligence. That's not the case with a learning disability. Supposedly, ADHD is more prevalent in intelligent people than slow people.

(yeah, I did a brief on the ADA and a paper in UG on the topic)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

new york

New

Post by new york » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:34 pm

I commend you for your perseverance. As difficult as this ordeal may be, I have faith that overcoming your disabilities and earning your JD, regardless of how long it may take, will make you a more compassionate and dedicated lawyer.

Good luck!

sherman

New

Post by sherman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:07 pm

many people still don't accept anybody for any job with any disability

too bad for those bigots since they were born too late for the third reich

don't worry OP at snide comments made to you, and keep on trying, as those snide posters think that their lack of compassion and advocacy will get them good law jobs, but they will only find a very warm place for them after they die ;)

you should stay with law while they should go out and find white sheets to wear at a klan rally

people with disabilities are fighting the battles minorities and women fought for trying to be lawyers, college graduates, or having the right to vote

stay the course, but also realize that law school does attract a lot of unsavory and thoroughly disgusting people that continue to expand the negative stereotype of lawyers
Last edited by sherman on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:21 pm

playhero

New

Post by playhero » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:38 pm

buffalo-best wrote:That shows that you cant really think FAST, whats gonna happen on stuff like objection responses?
FYI: People with ADHD think faster then you ever could, which is part of the problem. People can learn how to manage it though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cfishy305

New

Post by cfishy305 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:52 pm

yeah having ADHD is about thinking too fast... i know people with it and this is obviously the case... but its a lot like reading too fast and not grasping the idea. thinking too fast is also bad because you miss a lot. so thinking fast is a big negative rather than a positive.

ssplaw

New

Re: Law School Dismissal, Reinstatement letter HELP!

Post by ssplaw » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:11 pm

scoop wrote:I currently have been dismissed from Law School after my first year for grades. FIrst semester I did fine. My second semester I had some personal problems at home with family which stole my focus and need a 2.0 to stay in school my cumulative GPA dropped to a 1.97.

I am petitioning to be reinstated into law school and to be on probation or a fresh start semester. I need to write what was wrong, and how I am going to succeed and my plan for success. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know ASAP for i have to have this letter in my Thursday!

How long do you think it should be, or any good advice I should use or you have used in your past to keep you in school? I will do anything it takes!

PLEASE HELP!
Hi, I am in the same situation that you were in the past. Can you give your advice. thank you

emkay625

Gold

Re: Law School Dismissal, Reinstatement letter HELP!

Post by emkay625 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 pm

ssplaw wrote:
scoop wrote:I currently have been dismissed from Law School after my first year for grades. FIrst semester I did fine. My second semester I had some personal problems at home with family which stole my focus and need a 2.0 to stay in school my cumulative GPA dropped to a 1.97.

PLEASE HELP!
Hi, I am in the same situation that you were in the past. Can you give your advice. thank you
This thread is almost a decade old, the original poster may not be around any more. You may want to make a new thread explaining your situation so other posters can offer advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”