Anyone gotten an A+? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JDot

New

Anyone gotten an A+?

Post by JDot » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:20 pm

I'm assuming it's very rare and probably not all professor even give them out, but has anyone gotten an A+ in a class? and if so, what do you think you did to achieve it?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Re: Anyone gotten an A+?

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:24 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDot

New

Post by JDot » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:29 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
JDot wrote:I'm assuming it's very rare and probably not all professor even give them out, but has anyone gotten an A+ in a class? and if so, what do you think you did to achieve it?
I got a few (you get them if you book the class). I don't know what separated me from the others and I assume it was a one-point difference (i.e., it was marginally better than the exams my peers turned in).
so do you automatically get a A+ if you book the class? Wasn't sure if A+s were handed out at the discretion of the professor or not

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Law School Grad here - I think for most, when it gets to that level, it is going to be at least somewhat luck. At least at my school, there was no one person who just consistently booked classes. For the ones that I booked, I thought I had done well, but no better than the classes that I did not book. Interestingly, the class that I thought that I did the very best in was one of my lowest grades in law school.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:33 pm

It depends entirely on the school, the school's 1L grading policy, and the whims of the professor.

My favorite example: once upon a time, there was an exam where 28 points or better was good enough for an 'A' grade (it's all curved, so really that just means roughly 10% of the class got 28 points or higher). A small group of students got As and scored between 28 and 34 points. The second highest grade in the class was 45 points, and the highest grade in the class was 63 points.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:50 pm

It will vary - for instance, my law school didn't award A+s. (I think because the overall university grading system didn't include A+?) It also didn't recognize getting the top grade in the class (you could find out, because the school provided a list of grades issued for each class, so you could see where your grade fell, but there was no official recognition of it as any kind of achievement).

dj_roomba

New

Post by dj_roomba » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:52 pm

This might be a stupid question but...
what does booking a class mean?

I mean I know it usually means registering for a class. I just don't see the connection to A+s

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Getting the top grade in the class. I think it's called that because you used to get a book as a prize (still do? no idea). Sometimes this is called AmJur-ing the class (because some schools issue American Jurisprudence-sponsored awards for the top of the class) (or again, used to - not sure if they still do).

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:22 pm

I've managed to get two A+ grades. Con Law II and Health Law & Policy. Interestingly enough they were taught by the same prof. so I suspect I managed to simply crack what she was looking for in an exam answer. I didn't feel that much more confident walking out of those exams than I normally do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:24 pm

My 1L school did CALI awards, a friend's did Witkin awards. Some schools require an A+ to be given out on some curves while prohibiting on other curves (legal writing = no A+ grade at my school because it was too small to have room for them in the curves), some allow for multiple A+ grades. Every school has grading policies posted somewhere on the registrar's website, and since it's so school dependent, that's probably the best place to look. If your school gives book awards, a lot of them have public websites where you can search for previous book award winners. Here's the site if your school does CALIS (--LinkRemoved--), too lazy to find out where/whether other awards have similar.

If you're really committed to getting that grade, you could always connect with the 2Ls/3Ls who got them in your classes in years previous, though I wouldn't recommend this.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:25 pm

if you're a 1L please go back to studying and stop making threads like this at the end of november becuz lol

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:26 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:if you're a 1L please go back to studying and stop making threads like this at the end of november becuz lol
Also this.

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:02 pm

For most classes, it's not worth chasing that A+. It'll either happen or it won't. If you're consistently knocking out A- to A level work, you'll put yourself into position to get one with an exceptionally good exam performance. A lot of subjectivity on the part of the professor can be the difference between an A and A+ too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:07 pm

A+s are gangster.

ahurtadojr

New

Post by ahurtadojr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:34 pm

I received an A+ in Civil Procedure 1. Honestly, I am not sure what I did. I did pretty well in my exams, received an 87 and a 85. But unsure about the MBE's. Anyhow, A+'s are pretty cool. I received a 4.33 grade average for the course. Sweet!!!!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:40 pm

Congrats, but were you searching for a thread to put that in? This is from 3 yrs ago. And created an account to do it?

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:45 pm

The birth of a troll?
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:44 pm

My 1L school did CALI awards but those didn't translate to an A+. A was the highest it went. I think this is all very school-dependent.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:08 am

Yes - in Contracts. And just seeing that this is a zombie post.

saron

New

Post by saron » Mon May 01, 2017 10:55 am

i used to get it, before i was a 4th year student. i guess i got it because, i loved the courses and i don't even study for grades but just to gain more knowledge so the A+ was a bonus

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Mon May 01, 2017 3:17 pm

A+ on seminar class with paper requirement is more common. What I did was to read (and study) a lot of law review articles, especially ones by your law professor, and aim to do just as well as, if not better than, those articles.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Chi-Town-911

New

Post by Chi-Town-911 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Last edited by Chi-Town-911 on Tue May 02, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Chi-Town-911 wrote:Yes, but it's been uneven. I once got five A+s in one semester. Other semesters, none at all. I've found it easier to swing in smaller classes, racehorse essay exams (I love these since I'm a fast typist) and classes that otherwise play to my strengths (lots of rules, fewer policy questions).

Play to your strengths, work hard, have fun. And don't sweat it. No one really cares if you have a 4.2 instead of a 4.0.
fake news

browniestasty

Bronze

Post by browniestasty » Sat May 20, 2017 3:11 pm

I got an A+ in what amounts to intro to law by getting 90+% of raw points available, beating second place by a significant margin.

The other A+ was with a professor that gives highest grade an A+ as standard policy.

There is definitely some luck involved when it comes to cracking A+, probably just As too.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat May 20, 2017 3:13 pm

browniestasty wrote:I got an A+ in what amounts to intro to law by getting 90+% of raw points available, beating second place by a significant margin.

The other A+ was with a professor that gives highest grade an A+ as standard policy.

There is definitely some luck involved when it comes to cracking A+, probably just As too.
Did you bump this thread just to brag about your semester grades?
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”