TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
FinalDecision1

New

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by FinalDecision1 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Exams start in 10 days and I'm still finishing my outlines. Some of my classmates have already taken upwards of 4-5 practice exams and it's stressing me the hell out. I feel so behind. I don't think an exam will be good practice without having a good outline, but is it better to focus on them anyways at this stage? And is it normal to have not started practice exams yet?

Also thank you for this thread, it is much, much appreciated

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:21 pm

FinalDecision1 wrote:Exams start in 10 days and I'm still finishing my outlines. Some of my classmates have already taken upwards of 4-5 practice exams and it's stressing me the hell out. I feel so behind. I don't think an exam will be good practice without having a good outline, but is it better to focus on them anyways at this stage? And is it normal to have not started practice exams yet?

What's the benefit of taking practice exams? It's not like you're writing the LSAT where a lot of it depended on speed / stamina.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:23 pm

TSL, when I flunk out of law school, can I crash on your couch?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:24 pm

mootness wrote:
FinalDecision1 wrote:Exams start in 10 days and I'm still finishing my outlines. Some of my classmates have already taken upwards of 4-5 practice exams and it's stressing me the hell out. I feel so behind. I don't think an exam will be good practice without having a good outline, but is it better to focus on them anyways at this stage? And is it normal to have not started practice exams yet?

What's the benefit of taking practice exams? It's not like you're writing the LSAT where a lot of it depended on speed / stamina.
...A lot of LS exams ARE dependent on speed/stamina. You want to write as much as you can in the 3-4 hour window you're given.

Also, I find that wrestling with the material by taking a practice exam helps me learn the material better than simply reading my outline over and over.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:36 pm

acr wrote:
mootness wrote:

...A lot of LS exams ARE dependent on speed/stamina. You want to write as much as you can in the 3-4 hour window you're given.

Also, I find that wrestling with the material by taking a practice exam helps me learn the material better than simply reading my outline over and over.
Absolutely both of these things. Doing practice exams was the best way for me to find out what I knew/understood and what I didn't, and you don't want the first time you spot an issue and apply a given rule to facts to be on the exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:13 pm

Sorry... didn't notice what thread I was in.

Breathe deep and trust in your prep work.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:16 pm

How is a ls exam different from an undergrad or high school exam? Time constraints and need for mental stamina were both necessary for those.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:34 pm

Take your strategy talk elsewhere, you monsters. This is a place of healing, calmness, and tranquility.

Praise be to TheSeaLocust.

mootness

New

Post by mootness » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:04 am

lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:42 am

I think I might be fucked for Con Law... This practice test just kicked my ass

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:40 am

Yeezus wrote:I think I might be fucked for Con Law... This practice test just kicked my ass
join the club, yeah me too

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:47 am

thisiswater wrote:
Yeezus wrote:I think I might be fucked for Con Law... This practice test just kicked my ass
Totally normal. You'll probably get screwed by 2-3 practice tests before it clicks. Keep at it!

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:53 am

Trippel wrote:
thisiswater wrote:
Totally normal. You'll probably get screwed by 2-3 practice tests before it clicks. Keep at it!
it's my second year and i still don't get where ppl get all these practice tests. i feel like this might just be something my school doesnt do

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:33 am

thisiswater wrote:it's my second year and i still don't get where ppl get all these practice tests. i feel like this might just be something my school doesnt do
You can always ask the professor if you ever feel the urge to take one.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:57 am

thisiswater wrote: it's my second year and i still don't get where ppl get all these practice tests. i feel like this might just be something my school doesnt do
The library has some hard copies on reserve. I don't know about for your Con Law though (I had the other prof).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:53 pm

mootness wrote:How is a ls exam different from an undergrad or high school exam? Time constraints and need for mental stamina were both necessary for those.
I never once had a 3-hour high school exam. Also, I never once had a high school exam where I didn't have enough time to get all the work done. My undergrad exams(Computer Engineering) were on par with, if not harder than, law school exams, so I can't really comment on that. If you've never taken a time-pressure exam where you know you won't get finished, you should really take some practice tests.

To the 1Ls ITT, take some time to focus on yourselves and your mental health. This thread (and everything it stands for) is a good thing. You'll do better if you're relaxed and confident going into an exam. You'll do worse if you're stressed and sleep-deprived.

I'll tell a story about my fall 1L finals. We had an ice storm come through Dallas during the middle of finals that year. I had just taken my second of three finals (i'm a part-time student), and I was prepping for Contracts when the storm started to blow in. My wife and I had just bought a house in November, and we hadn't yet moved from our apartment to the house because we were doing some remodel work before we put furniture in there. We were trying to figure out the best plan for hunkering down, because we were expecting 1" or more of ice, and that means that Dallas was going to grind to a halt, and we were likely to not have power for days at a time. We decided to pack up some essentials and our pets and go to the house, since it had a wood burning fireplace that we could use to stay warm in case of a power outage. I think this was on Wednesday, and I had a Contracts final on Friday.

Anyway, the storm blew through and was as bad as forecasted; we woke up on Thursday morning to over an inch of ice, some snow, and downed tree limbs that were up to 8 inches in diameter. I hazarded the ice-slicked roads (as a midwesterner, the Texan drivers were a bigger hazard to me than the ice) to go to the local hardware store and get a chainsaw, the last in stock. Anyway, the roads were so bad that I knew I wasn't going to be able to drive back to the hardware store, let alone down to campus for the Contracts final on Friday. Thankfully, the final got pushed off to the next week, but I spent the entire weekend and some of the next week chopping the tree limbs into firewood with my new shiny chainsaw.

I ended up studying maybe 8 hours for my Contracts exam, and it was my best grade that semester. Some of that was luck, some was the fact that I paid more attention in Contracts class, but much of it was because I didn't spend 5 days stressing about a Contracts final. I was out getting some exercise and letting out some pent up frustration on the downed tree limbs in my front yard. The moral of the story is that you should do your studying, work hard to know your stuff, and certainly work on practice exams, but also take some time to refresh yourself, especially for your later exams. Sometimes a fresh mind is better than spending those couple hours studying even more.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:21 pm

BVest wrote:
thisiswater wrote: it's my second year and i still don't get where ppl get all these practice tests. i feel like this might just be something my school doesnt do
The library has some hard copies on reserve. I don't know about for your Con Law though (I had the other prof).
yeah, i know. I think one of my professors so far across all classes has had one on file so when people talk about doing 3 or 4 practice exams that just isn't reality at this school. i'm feeling calmer about con at this point though, the short-sheeting process is making me feel like i understand some of this

BTW how was the other prof? he's an option for con law II for me, and right now I chose something else but still considering

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:05 pm

I feel completely empty inside, like my ability to feel anything is broken.
Time to work on my torts outline for my final in 5 days. :oops:

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:55 pm

First exam down... Both worse and better than I thought it would be, kinda hard to explain. Absolutely no clue how I did.

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:11 am

Went to 95% of my classes, did 99% of the reading, did a 50 page + outline for all my classes, and I feel like there is not anything I do not truly understand. First Torts final in this Saturday and however I feel like I'm going to absolutely blow it. Between the time limit, word limit, and having to hit that right balance of # of issues vs. how in depth I talk about each issue, ...I feel like I'm destined for below the median.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Calbears123 wrote:Went to 95% of my classes, did 99% of the reading, did a 50 page + outline for all my classes, and I feel like there is not anything I do not truly understand. First Torts final in this Saturday and however I feel like I'm going to absolutely blow it. Between the time limit, word limit, and having to hit that right balance of # of issues vs. how in depth I talk about each issue, ...I feel like I'm destined for below the median.
strive for excellence, not perfection. professors understand the time constraints of exams and take that into consideration. just relax and write a solid analysis

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:58 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:01 pm

Wahrheit wrote:I've felt like I understood CivPro in class all quarter, but reviewing for the final, it just feels like so much information and I don't know what I need to cover / whether I understand anything enough. The crippling self-doubt is setting in.
civ pro is the easiest 1L class. you're probably boned if youre this lost this close to the exam. just go get an upper classman's outline and hope that you get a lucky bounce

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:12 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”