TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mtf612

Bronze

Re: TheSeaLocust's 1L Anxiety Meditation Retreat & Spa

Post by mtf612 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Nebby wrote:
mtf612 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
mtf612 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Most schools have started by now. How's the gnawing sense of inadequacy treating everyone in 2017?
Just finished orientation and classes begin on Tuesday. Suffering from serious imposter syndrome. Everyone here seems to have worked for the UN, a v10 firm, or accomplished some other amazing feat. I appear to be the only one with crappy softs that attended a TTTT undergrad. Panicking about this semester in a big way right now.
You'll be fine! It's all just posturing. Plus, a lot of smart and talented people will burn themselves out doing all the wrong things. You're here, you're reading through guides about how to study smart and do well on exams, you're already much further ahead of the curve than you think.

shhhhh it'll be o.k. <3
What if I am still miserable? What if I am still struggling to complete my readings for a single class over the course of three hours? What if I still haven't started outlining? What if I am still feeling lonely and out of place? I'm not sure who or where to turn now. :(
Hit the gym
I appreciate this to some extent, as I have been only lifting two times a week lately, and I feel a bit better now that I just did a quick upper body work out. However, the endorphin rush will be short lived and I fear that I'll be back to feeling crushed first thing in the morning

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:01 pm

shhhh there there

It's a struggle and you just have to take it one day at a time. The gym will help. It's normal to be freaked out.

dp3

New

Post by dp3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Definitely have a bad case of imposter syndrome. Nothing has ever made me feel dumber than this first semester. I took my first final Tuesday and I heard a few people mention that they managed to go over the word limit for our final. One friend managed to go 2000 words over while I finished with barely 5 minutes left 2000 words under the limit. It's freaking me out how much I probably missed with such a disparity in word count.

I know that that's not necessarily indicative of what our final grades will look like but I'm still freaking out

Have two more finals to go.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 pm

dp3 wrote:Definitely have a bad case of imposter syndrome. Nothing has ever made me feel dumber than this first semester. I took my first final Tuesday and I heard a few people mention that they managed to go over the word limit for our final. One friend managed to go 2000 words over while I finished with barely 5 minutes left 2000 words under the limit. It's freaking me out how much I probably missed with such a disparity in word count.

I know that that's not necessarily indicative of what our final grades will look like but I'm still freaking out

ime, profs are supremely generous when setting the word limit. one prof explicitly said she set the limits by writing the model answers and doubling her word count. most ppl going over the limit is just typing stilted jibberish and regurgitating irrelevant law, taking advantage of the "no points off" policy and seeing what sticks.

you're fine, and it's a much better sign of doing well that you said you used up all the time than the actual number of words put down.

dp3

New

Post by dp3 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:10 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
dp3 wrote:Definitely have a bad case of imposter syndrome. Nothing has ever made me feel dumber than this first semester. I took my first final Tuesday and I heard a few people mention that they managed to go over the word limit for our final. One friend managed to go 2000 words over while I finished with barely 5 minutes left 2000 words under the limit. It's freaking me out how much I probably missed with such a disparity in word count.

ime, profs are supremely generous when setting the word limit. one prof explicitly said she set the limits by writing the model answers and doubling her word count. most ppl going over the limit is just typing stilted jibberish and regurgitating irrelevant law, taking advantage of the "no points off" policy and seeing what sticks.

you're fine, and it's a much better sign of doing well that you said you used up all the time than the actual number of words put down.
Thank you I needed this. People are writing more than me for all their finals it seems, but I'm at least going til time ends. That still has me really nervous, but maybe what they're saying is irrelevant to the tasks at hand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:16 pm

dp3 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:

Thank you I needed this. People are writing more than me for all their finals it seems, but I'm at least going til time ends. That still has me really nervous, but maybe what they're saying is irrelevant to the tasks at hand.
People almost always wrote more than me for finals. There was only one prof (unlimited words and, it turns out, she gave points for issue vomit not even remotely related to the call of the question -- e.g. Answering "What claims does X have?" with claims for X, Y and Z) for whom that made a difference. The only time I butted up against word limits, they were such that there was time to edit back once you hit the limit.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:19 pm

dp3 wrote:One friend managed to go 2000 words over
I have no idea how you did, but your friend is in for a rude awakening. Going over the word limit isn't a bragging point. There are professors that (severely) penalize going over, especially by that much.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:41 pm

Um yeah if they didn’t edit it down under the limit I’d bet a lot you get a better grade. My profs literally wouldn’t read the words over the limit. They would have their assistant only print the words up to the word limit. Some would do that and give additional negative points for failing to follow directions. Your friend is way more screwed than you. At least all the issues you analyzed will be in your answer.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:42 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
dp3 wrote:One friend managed to go 2000 words over
I have no idea how you did, but your friend is in for a rude awakening. Going over the word limit isn't a bragging point. There are professors that (severely) penalize going over, especially by that much.
yeah your friend isn't that smart if they thought going 2000 over was a good idea

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dp3

New

Post by dp3 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Sorry I should have mentioned they edited it back down to within the limit lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”