Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
estamosjuntos

New

Re: Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass

Post by estamosjuntos » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:50 pm

Need to clarify something: Somebody told me the MBE score is a floor. so i.e. for New York you fail if you get below a 133 on the MBE regardless of whether you ace the essays. That true?

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:53 pm

estamosjuntos wrote:Need to clarify something: Somebody told me the MBE score is a floor. so i.e. for New York you fail if you get below a 133 on the MBE regardless of whether you ace the essays. That true?
Only true for a couple states. Not true in NY iirc.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:
estamosjuntos wrote:Need to clarify something: Somebody told me the MBE score is a floor. so i.e. for New York you fail if you get below a 133 on the MBE regardless of whether you ace the essays. That true?
Only true for a couple states. Not true in NY iirc.
not true in NY unless they've changed the rules for UBE

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:22 am

Playing around with statistics and such is the only thing keeping my sane at this point.

Need 270 to pass, 50%MBE.

70% on MBE = ~148 scaled score. So need 122 on essay/mpt portion to pass.

122 = ~13.5th percentile. Pretty sure I can do better on the essays than the dumbest 14% of people taking the AR bar. Like 55% sure at this point.

75% on mbe = ~157 scaled. So need 113 on essay/mpt to pass.

113 = ~5th percentile. I can definitely score better than the dumbest 5% of people taking the AR bar. Like 75% certain. Maybe. Probably. What's a secured transaction again?

btw if anyone wants to compute their own numbers,

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/portals ... l_info.pdf - this gives you raw to scaled conversion. So % correct x 190, then input that into the table to get scaled.

http://sphweb.bumc.bu.edu/otlt/MPH-Modu ... ity10.html - use this to calculate the percentile for a given score. Use 139.9 as the mean and 16.1 as stdev (from last July's bar exam). Calculator is at the bottom.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:04 pm

Can someone post percentiles for NY/UBE essays?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Br3v wrote:Can someone post percentiles for NY/UBE essays?
Do UBE states not scale them to the MBE scale like everyone else?

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:34 pm

spyke123 wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Eldon Tyrell wrote:
Crowing wrote:I haven't been to TLS since 1L, but I'm freaking out about the bar and basically not comprehending how so many people pass this thing.

Sorry for not reading this thread in depth, but I'm wondering what might be a good raw score to shoot for in IL in order to compensate for completely shitting the bed on the essays?

I'm currently running around 150-160 raw in Themis PQs, so I'd just like to get an idea of where I should get to.
How are law students so smart and so stupid at the same time.
I know this is TLS, but relax man. I tried to Google a conversion from raw into scaled and I couldn't find an exact answer. I understand that the IL bar has supposedly gotten harder year to year. Themis is pushing for 70% plus, and I'm not sure if I'll get that on test day with nerves.

I'm really not good at the essays--spitting out rules is pretty difficult for me, so I'm hoping to count on MBE/MPT to get me through. So I'm just trying to get a concrete idea of what I need.
sorry, 150-160 raw isn't high enough. see you in February
You'll be there in February?

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:36 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Eldon Tyrell wrote:
Crowing wrote:I haven't been to TLS since 1L, but I'm freaking out about the bar and basically not comprehending how so many people pass this thing.

Sorry for not reading this thread in depth, but I'm wondering what might be a good raw score to shoot for in IL in order to compensate for completely shitting the bed on the essays?

I'm currently running around 150-160 raw in Themis PQs, so I'd just like to get an idea of where I should get to.
How are law students so smart and so stupid at the same time.
I know this is TLS, but relax man. I tried to Google a conversion from raw into scaled and I couldn't find an exact answer. I understand that the IL bar has supposedly gotten harder year to year. Themis is pushing for 70% plus, and I'm not sure if I'll get that on test day with nerves.

I'm really not good at the essays--spitting out rules is pretty difficult for me, so I'm hoping to count on MBE/MPT to get me through. So I'm just trying to get a concrete idea of what I need.
You graduated from one of the top law schools in the country, taking an 80% pass rate bar and couldn't even read a few pages of this thread before you started freaking out. This makes you a really smart idiot.
chill, son, chill

ellewoods123

Bronze

Post by ellewoods123 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:38 pm

bumping this thread. anyone have any data on highest MBE score that still resulted in failing?

I bombed the MEE and MPT (UBE jurisdiction) and have to reread this thread often to refrain my sobbing daily.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jmazz88

New

Post by Jmazz88 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:12 pm

bumping this thread. they changed the amount of experimental questions on the MBE from 190 to 175. i know that each question is technically worth more, but is there any benefit to this for test-takers from a strategic standpoint?

Aaavvvaaa89

New

Post by Aaavvvaaa89 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:36 pm

JJm11 wrote:I took the Mass bar and passed and got a 155 on the mbe. Connecticut allows you to transfer your mbe score for a year and a half after taking the bar so i signed up for it. What's nice is the passing score is lower than Mass, you only need a 264 to pass. The mbe is 50%. But i did look and i think there were a couple essay scores lower than 109. I havent started studying yet and it's a week from today. I plan on studying a lot over the next week, so ill let people know how it goes and for my sake, i hope it really is an autopass if i write a few coherent things down.

Also, some advice to people taking the bar for the first time. I took Kaplan and i think i scored around 132 on the midterm and final. When i took the real bar i thought the questions were NOTHING like what i had studied. The second session was especially horrible, i literally was guessing between two or 3 answers for most of those questions. I walked out feeling defeated after the mbe and worried i bombed it and i was banking on my essays to carry me. When i got my scores i actually did better on the mbe than the essays. So when you're on question 66 and freaking out thinking you're failing it, try not to worry too much and just keep going because everyone is in the same boat and you're probably doing a lot better than you think you are.

Could you tell us if you passed in CT with the 155 and qtr what essay scores?

Love With The Coco

New

Post by Love With The Coco » Fri May 12, 2017 9:14 am

UBE states = 50% MBE, 30% MEE, 20% MPT

So 150 pretty much puts you in autopass territory. What's 150 as a % of questions? 70%?

Love With The Coco

New

Post by Love With The Coco » Mon May 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Love With The Coco wrote:UBE states = 50% MBE, 30% MEE, 20% MPT

So 150 pretty much puts you in autopass territory. What's 150 as a % of questions? 70%?
?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon May 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Love With The Coco wrote:
Love With The Coco wrote:UBE states = 50% MBE, 30% MEE, 20% MPT

?
A couple years ago it more like 67-68%. Dunno how it's changed.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Love With The Coco

New

Post by Love With The Coco » Tue May 23, 2017 10:39 am

Interesting.

This tool (http://www.seperac.com/zcalc-mbe-febjuly.php) seems to indicate it's around 73-76% for a 150. Not sure how accurate.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue May 23, 2017 11:17 am

seperac's calculators never made sense, feel free to ignore them entirely

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue May 23, 2017 12:00 pm

on the other hand I'm remembering shit from like 4 years ago. so do more research.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Love With The Coco

New

Post by Love With The Coco » Tue May 23, 2017 1:09 pm

5ky wrote:seperac's calculators never made sense, feel free to ignore them entirely
Odd

nickpapagiorgio

New

Post by nickpapagiorgio » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:50 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
New York scales the MEE and MPT to the MBE.

Haven't been able to find any statistics for New York beyond pass rate. Has anyone come across more detailed stats for the UBE in NY? Like average MBE, average MEE, etc?

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Does anyone know how to calculate this for CA now that we have 50% MBE? Also, does CA have a minimum passing standard/floor for the essays...? Because my essays suck.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 pm

nickpapagiorgio wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

Haven't been able to find any statistics for New York beyond pass rate. Has anyone come across more detailed stats for the UBE in NY? Like average MBE, average MEE, etc?
New York is big enough that their MBE stats are probably fairly close to the national stats: MBE starts on page 39 with a jenky ass map that looks like it was drawn by hand.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:16 am

This is like 16 pages and I still don't understand how may questions i need to get right out of 200 on the NY Bar to auto pass without worrying about essays or the MPT.

nickpapagiorgio

New

Post by nickpapagiorgio » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:09 am

BVest wrote:
nickpapagiorgio wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

New York is big enough that their MBE stats are probably fairly close to the national stats: MBE starts on page 39 with a jenky ass map that looks like it was drawn by hand.
Thank you. I wish New York released stats on essays and MPT.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:25 am

nickpapagiorgio wrote: Thank you. I wish New York released stats on essays and MPT.
Without looking it up, I assume those are scaled to the MBE distribution, like most other states do. For example, if the mean MBE is a 140.3 (like last July) and your raw essay score is right at the mean raw essay score, then your scaled essay score is a 140.3. Likewise, if your raw essay score is one standard deviation above the mean raw essay score, your scaled score would be 140.3+ 1 standard deviation (16.7 in July, for a 157 scaled score).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickpapagiorgio

New

Post by nickpapagiorgio » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:11 am

BVest wrote:
nickpapagiorgio wrote: Thank you. I wish New York released stats on essays and MPT.
Without looking it up, I assume those are scaled to the MBE distribution, like most other states do. For example, if the mean MBE is a 140.3 (like last July) and your raw essay score is right at the mean raw essay score, then your scaled essay score is a 140.3. Likewise, if your raw essay score is one standard deviation above the mean raw essay score, your scaled score would be 140.3+ 1 standard deviation (16.7 in July, for a 157 scaled score).
Super helpful. So is the below spreadsheet a good representation of how the UBE would be scored in New York? Sorry, can't post images yet.

https://app.box.com/s/90109ec73yfqi2zrscerojk6x43jhnog

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”