Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BVest

Platinum

Re: Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass

Post by BVest » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:01 pm

Br3v wrote:
L_William_W wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:The reality is that the bar essays are not necessarily fair. If you're a good writer you'll get more points despite having weaker analysis than a bad writer
This depends on the state. In NY, there's a specific format that they're looking for. If your answer doesn't match that template then you'll lose a lot of points, even if you answer is correct. In NJ, however, they're liberal graders. All you have to do is write a halfway-coherent IRAC. Simply spot the issue, data dump a bunch of rules, and do an analysis. Even if you get part of the rule incorrect, you'll still get most of the credit. For example, there was a criminal law essay on the July 2015 NJ bar exam (I can't mention the specific question). I confused search incident to lawful arrest with the automobile exception. And the fact pattern also involved a senile old lady who was an accomplice to a crime. I forgot the rule for insanity so I made some shit up. And on a torts essay, I correctly spotted a negligence per se issue, but I forgot to do the analysis. Still, I passed the exam.
What's the NY format? Just CIRAC right?
And is there still a certain format now that they're on the UBE?
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:10 pm

BVest, you ever see my name when I post something and think it was you?

It happens to me.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:14 pm

Br3v wrote:BVest, you ever see my name when I post something and think it was you?

It happens to me.
Can't say it has (obviously it will now though).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:00 pm

BVest wrote:
Br3v wrote:
L_William_W wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:The reality is that the bar essays are not necessarily fair. If you're a good writer you'll get more points despite having weaker analysis than a bad writer
This depends on the state. In NY, there's a specific format that they're looking for. If your answer doesn't match that template then you'll lose a lot of points, even if you answer is correct. In NJ, however, they're liberal graders. All you have to do is write a halfway-coherent IRAC. Simply spot the issue, data dump a bunch of rules, and do an analysis. Even if you get part of the rule incorrect, you'll still get most of the credit. For example, there was a criminal law essay on the July 2015 NJ bar exam (I can't mention the specific question). I confused search incident to lawful arrest with the automobile exception. And the fact pattern also involved a senile old lady who was an accomplice to a crime. I forgot the rule for insanity so I made some shit up. And on a torts essay, I correctly spotted a negligence per se issue, but I forgot to do the analysis. Still, I passed the exam.
What's the NY format? Just CIRAC right?
And is there still a certain format now that they're on the UBE?
+1

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:12 pm

I haven't been to TLS since 1L, but I'm freaking out about the bar and basically not comprehending how so many people pass this thing.

Sorry for not reading this thread in depth, but I'm wondering what might be a good raw score to shoot for in IL in order to compensate for completely shitting the bed on the essays?

I'm currently running around 150-160 raw in Themis PQs, so I'd just like to get an idea of where I should get to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Crowing wrote:I haven't been to TLS since 1L, but I'm freaking out about the bar and basically not comprehending how so many people pass this thing.

Sorry for not reading this thread in depth, but I'm wondering what might be a good raw score to shoot for in IL in order to compensate for completely shitting the bed on the essays?

I'm currently running around 150-160 raw in Themis PQs, so I'd just like to get an idea of where I should get to.
How are law students so smart and so stupid at the same time.
Last edited by Eldon Tyrell on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:15 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:
Crowing wrote:I haven't been to TLS since 1L, but I'm freaking out about the bar and basically not comprehending how so many people pass this thing.

?

I seriously have no idea about this thing. Like what is a scaled score relative to a raw score?

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:18 pm

Crowing wrote:
Eldon Tyrell wrote:

?

I seriously have no idea about this thing. Like what is a scaled score relative to a raw score?
See you in February

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:27 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:

with a 140+ raw out of 200 its almost certain youll pass

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:32 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:

I know this is TLS, but relax man. I tried to Google a conversion from raw into scaled and I couldn't find an exact answer. I understand that the IL bar has supposedly gotten harder year to year. Themis is pushing for 70% plus, and I'm not sure if I'll get that on test day with nerves.

I'm really not good at the essays--spitting out rules is pretty difficult for me, so I'm hoping to count on MBE/MPT to get me through. So I'm just trying to get a concrete idea of what I need.

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Crowing wrote:
Eldon Tyrell wrote:

I know this is TLS, but relax man. I tried to Google a conversion from raw into scaled and I couldn't find an exact answer. I understand that the IL bar has supposedly gotten harder year to year. Themis is pushing for 70% plus, and I'm not sure if I'll get that on test day with nerves.

I'm really not good at the essays--spitting out rules is pretty difficult for me, so I'm hoping to count on MBE/MPT to get me through. So I'm just trying to get a concrete idea of what I need.
sorry, 150-160 raw isn't high enough. see you in February

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:42 pm

Crowing wrote:
Eldon Tyrell wrote:

You graduated from one of the top law schools in the country, taking an 80% pass rate bar and couldn't even read a few pages of this thread before you started freaking out. This makes you a really smart idiot.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:43 pm

Quit messing around in on topics guys.

150-160 is high. If you do that on test day you have nothing to worry about

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:31 pm

Yeah 150-160 is The Dream and I'm sure you can bs your way through whatever essay they put in front of you. You have 3 years of VERY RIGOROUS experience with writing dumb law stuff. You're good.

Preemptive congrats on passing the bar brother.

Keep grinding.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:48 am

Pretty sure 140 raw is more than good enough as long as you don't bomb the essays. This is for the UBE

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:17 pm

So if I'm in a 50/33.3/16.6 MBE/MEE/MPT state with 270 required, got 159 raw on simulated Barbri MBE, 73/100 on that ridiculous MBE refresher, and averaging between 70-80% raw on the 50 question practice sets, I should just be binge-watching netflix at this point, right? Because I don't understand shit about the essay topics.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:33 am

arklaw13 wrote:So if I'm in a 50/33.3/16.6 MBE/MEE/MPT state with 270 required, got 159 raw on simulated Barbri MBE, 73/100 on that ridiculous MBE refresher, and averaging between 70-80% raw on the 50 question practice sets, I should just be binge-watching netflix at this point, right? Because I don't understand shit about the essay topics.
Yea, but HBO is better.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawstoodent

New

Post by lawstoodent » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:24 pm

50/30/20 UBE state with 266 required. 138/200 (140 actually correct due to some stupid transcribing errors); 64/100 on the refresher. 75% on OPE-4 (2013).

If I were able to get a 140 on the actual exam, what percentile would I need to be on the MEE to pass?

JoeySkoko

New

Post by JoeySkoko » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:21 pm

lawstoodent wrote:50/30/20 UBE state with 266 required. 138/200 (140 actually correct due to some stupid transcribing errors); 64/100 on the refresher. 75% on OPE-4 (2013).

If I were able to get a 140 on the actual exam, what percentile would I need to be on the MEE to pass?
have very similar stats - 146 / 64 / 78.

also interested, as i've been neglecting MEE / MPT severely...

0lol

New

Post by 0lol » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:04 pm

banking on mbe cause i have to hand write cause of.... reasons

feeling at a huge disadvange cause i have to hand write :cry:

my handwriting looks like a 4 year olds

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:16 pm

0lol wrote:banking on mbe cause i have to hand write cause of.... reasons

As a fellow 4-year old writer, that thought is horrifying. My condolences.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JJm11

New

Post by JJm11 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:33 pm

I took the Mass bar and passed and got a 155 on the mbe. Connecticut allows you to transfer your mbe score for a year and a half after taking the bar so i signed up for it. What's nice is the passing score is lower than Mass, you only need a 264 to pass. The mbe is 50%. But i did look and i think there were a couple essay scores lower than 109. I havent started studying yet and it's a week from today. I plan on studying a lot over the next week, so ill let people know how it goes and for my sake, i hope it really is an autopass if i write a few coherent things down.

Also, some advice to people taking the bar for the first time. I took Kaplan and i think i scored around 132 on the midterm and final. When i took the real bar i thought the questions were NOTHING like what i had studied. The second session was especially horrible, i literally was guessing between two or 3 answers for most of those questions. I walked out feeling defeated after the mbe and worried i bombed it and i was banking on my essays to carry me. When i got my scores i actually did better on the mbe than the essays. So when you're on question 66 and freaking out thinking you're failing it, try not to worry too much and just keep going because everyone is in the same boat and you're probably doing a lot better than you think you are.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:53 am

As someone who is taking Kaplan. This is about the scariest thing I've ever read.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:01 am

0lol wrote:banking on mbe cause i have to hand write cause of.... reasons

I'm in the same boat. I still believe they'll just look at my shit writing and be like "meh he probably knows what he's talking about".

JJm11

New

Post by JJm11 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:As someone who is taking Kaplan. This is about the scariest thing I've ever read.
What i said? I meant it as a positive. All the bar classes that my friends took said the same thing, the questions are so different. But i thought i was bombing it as i was taking it and instead i ended up getting 20 points higher than on the Kaplan practice test with a 155. So if you feel like you're bombing it, most of the other people are feeling the exact same way but you're probably doing way better than you think. Just keep positive and keep moving on.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”