Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
reasonable_man

Gold

Re: Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:46 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
BVest wrote:
ultimolugar wrote:So, how would this theory work out in FL? 272 to pass, 50% MBE.
Well, everything is scaled to MBE, so take a look at these MBE stats: http://www.ncbex.org/publications/stati ... tatistics/

A 105 is ~2nd percentile. A 165 is ~90th percentile. In a state with a 270 pass score and 50% MBE, if you can get a 165 MBE, you only need to be 2nd percentile or better on the rest of the exam. If you can get a 155 MBE (73rd percentile), you only need to be 7th percentile or better (115) on the rest of the exam.
What is the highest MBE score that you know of personally and that you can verify? i.e., your score, saw some friends score, ect?
I took the bar in 08' and studied a lot. Got a 162ish I believe. By far the highest of anyone I spoke with, but I attended a TTTT law school, so yeah..

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:31 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
BVest wrote:
ultimolugar wrote:So, how would this theory work out in FL? 272 to pass, 50% MBE.
Well, everything is scaled to MBE, so take a look at these MBE stats: http://www.ncbex.org/publications/stati ... tatistics/

A 105 is ~2nd percentile. A 165 is ~90th percentile. In a state with a 270 pass score and 50% MBE, if you can get a 165 MBE, you only need to be 2nd percentile or better on the rest of the exam. If you can get a 155 MBE (73rd percentile), you only need to be 7th percentile or better (115) on the rest of the exam.
What is the highest MBE score that you know of personally and that you can verify? i.e., your score, saw some friends score, ect?
I took the bar in 08' and studied a lot. Got a 162ish I believe. By far the highest of anyone I spoke with, but I attended a TTTT law school, so yeah..
Nice! Were you ranked #1 at this TTTT?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:44 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
BVest wrote:

people ask you about your score, right? its not you going around telling people

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:48 pm

mvp99 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
BVest wrote:

people ask you about your score, right? its not you going around telling people
I actually had it printed on a t-shirt along with the relevant statistic concerning my salary and penis size (i.e. shape, length and girth).

Seriously though, I probably discussed it with a few other people I studied with on a regular basis for law school exams because we always compared notes about results after finals. I don't recall discussing it much at all to be honest.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:50 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
BVest wrote:

Nice! Were you ranked #1 at this TTTT?
Nah. Probably top 15 or 20 percent... Not even on law review. I spent all of my time lining up a job and worked for that firm through the year my third-year and over my first two summers. I also worked for another small firm during law school. I knew (even back in 2005 when I started law school), that my only shot at getting a job from a TTTT was to have "good" grades with a lot of experience and to work my way into a firm early.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:55 am

What's the new auto pass number for the IL exam now? Passing is 266.

MBE 50% / MEE/IEE 40% / MPT 10%

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Is there anyone who can make an educated guess as to what a California "auto-pass" MBE scaled score would be? I was at 140 on the BarBri Simulated MBE, and am trying to gauge how much progress I need to make on MBE/essays/CPT.

Thanks

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:What's the new auto pass number for the IL exam now? Passing is 266.

MBE 50% / MEE/IEE 40% / MPT 10%
~152. Though I bet nobody actually fails with a score of 150
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:31 pm

FlowBro wrote:Is there anyone who can make an educated guess as to what a California "auto-pass" MBE scaled score would be? I was at 140 on the BarBri Simulated MBE, and am trying to gauge how much progress I need to make on MBE/essays/CPT.

Thanks
Since CA weights the MBE so little and has such a high minimum pass rate, there pretty much isn't such a "auto-pass." You need a 144 on the MBE just to be "on pace" to pass CA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hauki90

New

Post by hauki90 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:20 pm

So for Indiana where the MBE is 50%, MPT is 20%, and Essays are 30%. And a passing score is 264, what would be an auto pass score roughly? Thanks

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Post by Eldon Tyrell » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Dang 50% MBE and 20% MPT is nuts.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:43 pm

hauki90 wrote:So for Indiana where the MBE is 50%, MPT is 20%, and Essays are 30%. And a passing score is 264, what would be an auto pass score roughly? Thanks

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
FlowBro wrote:Is there anyone who can make an educated guess as to what a California "auto-pass" MBE scaled score would be? I was at 140 on the BarBri Simulated MBE, and am trying to gauge how much progress I need to make on MBE/essays/CPT.

Thanks
Since CA weights the MBE so little and has such a high minimum pass rate, there pretty much isn't such a "auto-pass." You need a 144 on the MBE just to be "on pace" to pass CA.
More CA BS haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:34 pm

Man Fuck Maryland - MBE's are 1/3 of the grade and essays (including MPT) are 2/3.

Maryland why do you think your laws are so great or important

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks
This is basically right. You could get like a 190, but you would still need to get 65s on the PTs.

You really need a more comprehensive approach to CA, but it still doesn't require you studying everything. If you do well on the MBE, e.g., 165, and do well on the PTs (1 65 and 1 70), you could get by with only 2 passing essay grades. The risk is that it's not certain which topics are going to show up on the essays.

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm sorry if I missed it, but does anyone have data on the scaled MEE or MPT score percentile ranks in jurisdictions other than Illinois?

A scaled 150 on the MBE plus a scaled 116 on the MEE and MPT combined would've passed someone in Illinois or, say, New York. But I've yet to confirm that a scaled 116 on the MEE and MPT portions of the UBE outside of Illinois would be as low a bar as it is in Illinois (in which, apparently, approximately only the bottom 10%--may God bless them-- does not achieve a 116 on that half of the test).

Also, any information on the actual raw scores on the MEE and MPT that scale to 116, and how they are calculated (a matter of grading), would be helpful. It appears that at least some states don't make this information available.

Thanks, and bless you all in your studies!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Man Fuck Maryland - MBE's are 1/3 of the grade and essays (including MPT) are 2/3.

MPT is the easiest section in every state. it's actually a misconception that a higher MPT% of the test makes it harder for the MBE=Auto Pass. It's jsut the reverse.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:50 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Man Fuck Maryland - MBE's are 1/3 of the grade and essays (including MPT) are 2/3.

MPT is the easiest section in every state. it's actually a misconception that a higher MPT% of the test makes it harder for the MBE=Auto Pass. It's jsut the reverse.
Sure MPT is easy but MD counts MPT as worth 1.5 MD essays in terms of points. And there are 10 MD essays.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:06 pm

sorry. to clarify. the important ratio is always MBE%/Essay Percentage (not including MPT). if that is in the 1 to 1 range, a 65% MBE raw score is gold.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:07 pm

hauki90 wrote:So for Indiana where the MBE is 50%, MPT is 20%, and Essays are 30%. And a passing score is 264, what would be an auto pass score roughly? Thanks
I'm so jelly at this distribution. Fuck essays

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:09 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:sorry. to clarify. the important ratio is always MBE%/Essay Percentage (not including MPT). if that is in the 1 to 1 range, a 65% MBE raw score is gold.
So in NY, where it's 50% UBE, 30% essays, 20% MPT, it's even lower than 65% raw score mbe for an autopass?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:09 pm

LexLeon wrote:I'm sorry if I missed it, but does anyone have data on the scaled MEE or MPT score percentile ranks in jurisdictions other than Illinois?

A scaled 150 on the MBE plus a scaled 116 on the MEE and MPT combined would've passed someone in Illinois or, say, New York. But I've yet to confirm that a scaled 116 on the MEE and MPT portions of the UBE outside of Illinois would be as low a bar as it is in Illinois (in which, apparently, approximately only the bottom 10%--may God bless them-- does not achieve a 116 on that half of the test).

Also, any information on the actual raw scores on the MEE and MPT that scale to 116, and how they are calculated (a matter of grading), would be helpful. It appears that at least some states don't make this information available.

Thanks, and bless you all in your studies!
when i dug all the data up years ago, pennsylvania had the most transparent data. a scaled 150 is roughly 132 raw right. the curve/gross up is larger around 100 raw (21ish points) and smaller at the highend of 150 right (15ish points).

every state has a set number of points needed to pass cumulatively. what state are you wondering about?

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:12 pm

WheatThins wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:sorry. to clarify. the important ratio is always MBE%/Essay Percentage (not including MPT). if that is in the 1 to 1 range, a 65% MBE raw score is gold.
So in NY, where it's 50% UBE, 30% essays, 20% MPT, it's even lower than 65% raw score mbe for an autopass?
This depends how good you are at MPT. A lot of people assume MPT is easier for top law school grads, and it's probably true. But I blew off the MPT practice and sort of regretted it. I definitely didn't pace myself correctly and made a mess of my MPT. I still passed cause I had dat 150MBE.

But even in NYC 50% MBE, you only need a 150 to AUTO PASS. Even if you suck at MPT.

If I had to take the NYC bar, I'd only study MBE and do 2-3 MPT practice tests. Wouldn't do any essay only subject preping.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

bern victim

Silver

Post by bern victim » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:13 pm

i think if you can get a 150+ MBE you have prob absorbed enough legal knowledge to shit out passable responses on most of the essays

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:15 pm

bern victim wrote:i think if you can get a 150+ MBE you have prob absorbed enough legal knowledge to shit out passable responses on most of the essays
That's what I'm hoping :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”