Maybe you should drop out of law school. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Happy 2012!

That's a good point, thanks for the advice.
26%
NO IT WILL BE DIFFERENT FOR ME I LOVE DEBT, UNEMPLOYMENT, AND SORROW.
74%

Total votes: 358

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:12 am

HeavenWood wrote:Just one question. Do you actually go to Penn?
Yes.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:16 am

thesealocust wrote:
Yes.
--ImageRemoved--

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:27 am

thesealocust wrote:
Yes.
Just one more question. Do you know Veyron personally? If yes, please give one sentence describing him.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:34 am

Why would I drop out of law school? Law school (after 1L) is so much better than real life. I sleep more. I sit around gossiping with friends multiple hours a week. People give me free food and alcohol regularly. I don't have to do much other than grit my teeth through finals twice a year. If it weren't for other law students I would never leave.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:37 am

nStiver wrote:Obviously i was kidding about employers not wanting to see a quitter. I just think that most people on tls went into law school knowing the risks.
Yeah, you would think so- but almost everyday there seems to be a post from a person who doesn't know the risks, or minimizes them. Look around they aren't hard to find. Just the other day there was a debate with a poster named yvonella I think, where she suggested that there were jobs but people werent creative enough to find them; there is a guy with. 2.5 as a transfer who will grad te with 200,000 in debt living in new York and who has no visible means of support other than loans- his plan is to teach English overseas; there was a guy who reconsidered his options only because Paul campos posted in his thread.

I'm not criticizing anyone's choices- we each have to live our own lives. I just honestly don't think that most people know how the terrible job market is and how they have been lied to by the schools as to employment statistics. Or they think they will have access to other fields because of a jd. Or they think they will just open their own firm. Or maybe go to jag or public interest- without understanding how competitive those jobs are.

I don't have a bright line about telling people not to go- I think it is a very individual decision. My only hope is that people know how unlikely it is that theywill be to repay 6 figures of debt- at least not with significant struggle.
Last edited by sunynp on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:37 am

IAFG wrote:Why would I drop out of law school? Law school (after 1L) is so much better than real life. I sleep more. I sit around gossiping with friends multiple hours a week. People give me free food and alcohol regularly. I don't have to do much other than grit my teeth through finals twice a year. If it weren't for other law students I would never leave.
TCR. Other than digging myself into a bigger and bigger pile of debt and having to put up with other law students, I love law school for the first three months of each semester. I spend all my time playing X Box, drinking beers, and G-chatting in class when I actually decide to show up.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:37 am

romothesavior wrote:
IAFG wrote:Why would I drop out of law school? Law school (after 1L) is so much better than real life. I sleep more. I sit around gossiping with friends multiple hours a week. People give me free food and alcohol regularly. I don't have to do much other than grit my teeth through finals twice a year. If it weren't for other law students I would never leave.
TCR. Other than digging myself into a bigger and bigger pile of debt and having to put up with other law students, I love law school for the first three months of each semester. I spend all my time playing X Box, drinking beers, and G-chatting in class when I actually decide to show up.
You did this during 1L also? Nice.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:38 am

johansantana21 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
You did this during 1L also? Nice.
To a lesser degree, yes. The amount of time I spend studying has progressively decreased each semester.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:35 am

Tuition refund deadlines are fast approaching. Who dares wins!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:00 pm

thesealocust wrote:Tuition refund deadlines are fast approaching. Who dares wins!
British Special Air, nice.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Always Credited wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Tuition refund deadlines are fast approaching. Who dares wins!
British Special Air, nice.
Also, Sayeret Matkal.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 pm

I think I'm going to drop out. Guidance would be appreciated.
Does anyone know anything about post bac programs? Specifically Penn's? It doesn't look competitive at all. I'm thinking of just taking classes in finance or accounting. Or even actuarial science if I can find something for that. All of which would probably better suit me than law.

Don't fear though, if I do drop out and go into Finance I will certainly stick around to tell 0Ls not to go to law school while simultaneously posting about my experiences with SBAs.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:07 pm

NYC Law wrote:I think I'm going to drop out. Guidance would be appreciated.
Does anyone know anything about post bac programs? Specifically Penn's? It doesn't look competitive at all. I'm thinking of just taking classes in finance or accounting. Or even actuarial science if I can find something for that. All of which would probably better suit me than law.

Don't fear though, if I do drop out and go into Finance I will certainly stick around to tell 0Ls not to go to law school while simultaneously posting about my experiences with SBAs.
Where do you currently go?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:27 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

Where do you currently go?
Fordham
rad lulz wrote:MAcc brah
Good to see you back. I'll look into it

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Oh, I thought you were just trolling, NYC.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Update: MAcc programs look amazing. 1 year, lib arts majors welcome, average GPAs below 3.5 at top programs, good placement with big accounting firms ...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bio822

New

Post by bio822 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:09 pm

After read this from the Northwestern market trends article, I'm having some serious second thoughts as well. "There continues to be a bimodal distribution of salaries, with 18% of reported salaries at $160,000 and 48% in the $40,000 - 65,000 range."

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:12 pm

bio822 wrote:After read this from the Northwestern market trends article, I'm having some serious second thoughts as well. "There continues to be a bimodal distribution of salaries, with 18% of reported salaries at $160,000 and 48% in the $40,000 - 65,000 range."
Word.

LawMan20

New

Post by LawMan20 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Why are you going to drop out? Aren't you top 5%? Do you just absolutely hate law school or what?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:40 pm

LawMan20 wrote:

Why are you going to drop out? Aren't you top 5%? Do you just absolutely hate law school or what?
Yes to all. I've learned a lot about myself in the past year, what I'm good at, what I enjoy, what I want out of life, and what my real reasons were for going to law school. The real reason wasn't a good reason, and I don't think I'd be happy as a lawyer (most aren't anyway, and if I'm already feeling this way that's probably a good sign its all downhill from here).

Oh, and I'm also starting to think it isn't the best idea to throw away my 20's/early 30s.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:54 pm

You're an inspiration NYC law :D

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:45 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:00 pm

siouxfan45 wrote:Do what you're passionate about.
You need to find a new schtick. I hate to cite mtal as an authority on anything, but I actually agree with him on this one. The "do what you love" schtick is a myth, and the vast majority will never have that luxury. I think it is possible for most people to find a job they can tolerate, and maybe even a job they enjoy, but at the end of the day few people are going to be "passionate" about their work. My dad loves his job as a middling manager in corporate America, but he'd never call it his passion. He doesn't live for purchasing HR services for a big company. It's his work.

I'm not going to work as a lawyer because I'm "passionate" about a discovery dispute between two Fortune 500 companies; I'm going to work as a lawyer because it is a tolerable (maybe sometimes even fun and interesting) way to make a living that will allow me to do things I am truly passionate about, like spending time with my family and friends and doing stuff outside of work.
Last edited by romothesavior on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:01 pm

rad lulz wrote:
thesealocust wrote:You're an inspiration NYC law :D
Top 5% dropping out of Fordham? Agreed. An inspiration.

Keep poasting though NYC Law, I enjoy the poasts.
112 posts in <24 hours? Brilliant.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”