Maybe you should drop out of law school. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Happy 2012!

That's a good point, thanks for the advice.
26%
NO IT WILL BE DIFFERENT FOR ME I LOVE DEBT, UNEMPLOYMENT, AND SORROW.
74%

Total votes: 358

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Re: Maybe you should drop out of law school.

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:44 pm

shoeshine wrote:I am half tempted to quit just because you told me to...

But I also want to follow your other advice and rock OCI...

So conflicted...
Haha... well played.

Txrb182sc

New

Post by Txrb182sc » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks to the GI Bill my law school debt will be zero, and I already have a fallback job lined up if I end up not liking legal work. I'm going to law school because I want to, plain and simple.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Txrb182sc wrote:Thanks to the GI Bill my law school debt will be zero, and I already have a fallback job lined up if I end up not liking legal work. I'm going to law school because I want to, plain and simple.
Rock on! Nothing wrong with that. You're in the 1% (students who are at law school because it's a good idea for them to be at law school).

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:27 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Txrb182sc wrote:Thanks to the GI Bill my law school debt will be zero, and I already have a fallback job lined up if I end up not liking legal work. I'm going to law school because I want to, plain and simple.
Rock on! Nothing wrong with that. You're in the 1% (students who are at law school because it's a good idea for them to be at law school).
Yeah, makes me wish I had joined the military. If not for debt I would have zero anxiety about law school. I fuck up? no big deal just do something else.

Supreme

New

Post by Supreme » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Is there a thread where we post our stats and TSL tells us whether or not we should drop out? If not there should be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Supreme wrote:Is there a thread where we post our stats and TSL tells us whether or not we should drop out? If not there should be.
No need. Let me summarize for you what TLS will say:

Lower than top 5% at TTT/TTTT = drop out. If in top 5% at TTT/TTTT, transfer out.
Paying sticker at TTT and not being #1 in the class = drop out.
T2 and lower than 25% = drop out.
T1 and lower than 35%-Median = drop out.
T14 and close to bottom quarter = consider pursuing other options.

Debt load is the one variable that could change results. These assume considerable debt (>100K)

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm

I think it might be worth it to have a thread where people post stats and include their debt load/other options/region. It would be a way to consolidate the "should I drop out" threads. Also, I think that the idea of dropping out needs individual attention as not many people will really drop out, at least not without support for their decision.

I might add that sometimes people should revisit their decisions after OCI -dropping out halfway through can still save a lot of money.
Last edited by sunynp on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:15 pm

NOW YOU TELL ME.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:16 pm

sunynp wrote:I think it might be worth it to have a thread where people post stats and include their debt load/other options/region. It would be a way to consolidate the "should I drop out" threads. Also, I think that the idea of dropping out needs individual attention as not many people will really drop out, at least not without support for their decision.
Yea, I always look to the internets for support with my life-altering decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:19 pm

I think some people look to TLS for advice based on experience. I could be wrong, but I think that a lot of students might not have family members and close friends who understand the current job market.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:55 pm

dresden doll wrote:NOW YOU TELL ME.
It's not too late! I'm working on a plan that involves dropping out and drug running in Mexico. Interested?

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:44 am

thesealocust wrote:
It's not too late! I'm working on a plan that involves dropping out and drug running in Mexico. Interested?
PM me

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:58 am

sunynp wrote:I think some people look to TLS for advice based on experience. I could be wrong, but I think that a lot of students might not have family members and close friends who understand the current job market.
Thats for sure. They think it is an automatic ticket to success. My tennis buddy said to me the other day, "So when you get out of law school, you are pretty much guaranteed six figures right off the bat, right?"...Ohh, how I wish that was true.

That being said, I don't know whats going on with all the law school hate around here. Sure, it may be exhausting at times, it may have its low points, but I actually enjoy the work. Most of us here on TLS went into this knowing what the job market is like. I contemplate doing something else at times, but then I think, aside from the medical field, what profession does actually give you guaranteed employment and wealth in this economy? It certianly beats StarBucks, which is probably where I would be, or teaching high school or something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:19 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Swap Mexico for Brazil and I'm in.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:24 pm

Bahahaha you went to a TTT and are unemployed.

Bahahahahaha.

:lol:

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:27 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:Bahahaha you went to a TTT and are unemployed.

Bahahahahaha.

:lol:
notsureifsrs.png

HiImDavid

New

Post by HiImDavid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:04 am

nStiver wrote:
sunynp wrote:I think some people look to TLS for advice based on experience. I could be wrong, but I think that a lot of students might not have family members and close friends who understand the current job market.
Thats for sure. They think it is an automatic ticket to success. My tennis buddy said to me the other day, "So when you get out of law school, you are pretty much guaranteed six figures right off the bat, right?"...Ohh, how I wish that was true.

That being said, I don't know whats going on with all the law school hate around here. Sure, it may be exhausting at times, it may have its low points, but I actually enjoy the work. Most of us here on TLS went into this knowing what the job market is like. I contemplate doing something else at times, but then I think, aside from the medical field, what profession does actually give you guaranteed employment and wealth in this economy? It certianly beats StarBucks, which is probably where I would be, or teaching high school or something.
Accounting

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:05 am

But I go to Yale

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:08 am

johansantana21 wrote:But I go to Yale
Med school?

That's awesome, bro. Congrats!

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:11 am

HiImDavid wrote:
nStiver wrote:

Accounting
+ Engineering.

HiImDavid

New

Post by HiImDavid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:14 am

I'm a 1L who just finished my first semester and ranked 50% at a T1 (50-60). I have a BA in Econ/Finance, it would take me a year to meet prerequisites for a MS in Accountancy and it would take another year to finish the MS. Seriously considering it, considering tomorrow is the last day for 100% tuition. Any advice?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:16 am

HiImDavid wrote:I'm a 1L who just finished my first semester and ranked 50% at a T1 (50-60). I have a BA in Econ/Finance, it would take me a year to meet prerequisites for a MS in Accountancy and it would take another year to finish the MS. Seriously considering it, considering tomorrow is the last day for 100% tuition. Any advice?
If you wanted biglaw + you were paying sticker, sounds like you should drop out.

HiImDavid

New

Post by HiImDavid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:20 am

I pay 1/2 tuition at a private school so $20k tuition + $15k living expenses a year. Never wanted a big firm job. Wasn't too sure as to what field to go in. My brother is in family law and will take the bar later this year.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:20 am

HiImDavid wrote:I'm a 1L who just finished my first semester and ranked 50% at a T1 (50-60). I have a BA in Econ/Finance, it would take me a year to meet prerequisites for a MS in Accountancy and it would take another year to finish the MS. Seriously considering it, considering tomorrow is the last day for 100% tuition. Any advice?
How much debt for that program?

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:26 am

This was so full of win.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”