Administrative Law Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ph14

Gold

Re: Administrative Law

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:18 pm

kalvano wrote:
ph14 wrote:Nah. We cover adjudication although very briefly. Stuff like informal adjudication vs. formal adjudication.

Oh, you mean like 553 and 5567 & 557? Yeah, we covered all that. It'll be on there under rulemaking.

To me, at least when I organize, even though the names are the same, I have to separate out adjudication in terms of rulemaking and adjudication in terms of hearings and judicial review. Part of my confusion at the beginning of the year was trying to figure out what the prof meant when he referred to adjudication.

Also, aren't you a 1L? How are you in Admin Law?
They fast tracked me because they were impressed by my comments in class.

(school requires it)

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:19 pm

ph14 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
ph14 wrote:Nah. We cover adjudication although very briefly. Stuff like informal adjudication vs. formal adjudication.

Oh, you mean like 553 and 5567 & 557? Yeah, we covered all that. It'll be on there under rulemaking.

To me, at least when I organize, even though the names are the same, I have to separate out adjudication in terms of rulemaking and adjudication in terms of hearings and judicial review. Part of my confusion at the beginning of the year was trying to figure out what the prof meant when he referred to adjudication.

(school requires it)

That's a weird requirement. It's a hard class.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:20 pm

kalvano wrote:
ph14 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

(school requires it)

That's a weird requirement. It's a hard class.
I completely agree, on both counts.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:58 pm

ph14, are you in Admin or LegReg? I always assumed you were in LegReg based on the questions you were asking (i.e. about Benzene and American Trucking).

FWIW, mine is organized (per the syllabus) as:

Adjudication
Agency Interpretations of Law
Oversight of Agency Policymaking
Judicial Review of Agency Action
Last edited by smittytron3k on Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:59 pm

smittytron3k wrote:ph14, are you in Admin or LegReg? I always assumed you were in LegReg based on the questions you were asking (i.e. about Benzene and American Trucking).
Leg Reg. Just easier to call it admin though lol.

PS, thanks again for all the help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:03 am

I got some help from "A BLACKLETTER STATEMENT OF FEDERAL ADMINISTRATIVE LAW", 54 Admin. L. Rev. 1, if you guys haven't seen that yet. Helps simplify things a little bit. Still working at it. :(

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:10 am

I really can't stress enough how awesome the Inside Administrative Law by Beermann is.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:42 am

Rulemaking outline: 20 pages, argh. Tomorrow is Chevron outlining, hopefully I can finish it off and basically be done with admin until my exam on the 20th. The 5 days before should be sufficient for making attack outlines and practicing with them.

Thedude737

New

Post by Thedude737 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:50 pm

I won't say no to a copy of your outline

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:35 pm

And after 70+ pages of Chevron, my book finally clarifies:

a. Chevron scope: applied to an agency interpretation of a statute announced in a rule issued under general authority through use of notice-and-comment rulemaking

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:36 pm

beach_terror wrote:And after 70+ pages of Chevron, my book finally clarifies:

a. Chevron scope: applied to an agency interpretation of a statute announced in a rule issued under general authority through use of notice-and-comment rulemaking
I thought Chevron was for agency interpretations of it's organic statute. So it would potentially apply for adjudications as well as rulemakings.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:39 pm

ph14 wrote:

I thought Chevron was for agency interpretations of it's organic statute. So it would potentially apply for adjudications as well as rulemakings.
If that's true, my book still hasn't opined such a statement. And yes, reading all of this Justice Scalia nonsense as made me write like an asshole apparently. I still have 60 or so pages until I'm done with Mead, Brand-X, etc.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:41 pm

After flipping through kalvano's recommended supplement, you're right as long as it's a formal adjudication it seems.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:42 pm

beach_terror wrote:After flipping through kalvano's recommended supplement, you're right as long as it's a formal adjudication it seems.
Gotcha. Why wouldn't it apply to informal adjudication? (not necessarily directed at you because I think you said you guys aren't studying adjudication)

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:48 pm

ph14 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:After flipping through kalvano's recommended supplement, you're right as long as it's a formal adjudication it seems.
Gotcha. Why wouldn't it apply to informal adjudication? (not necessarily directed at you because I think you said you guys aren't studying adjudication)
Under the Mead framework, informal adjudication will usually be entitled to only Skidmore deference; although it is possible to get Chevron deference in certain circumstances (see Barnhart).

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:56 pm

quiver wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Under the Mead framework, informal adjudication will usually be entitled to only Skidmore deference; although it is possible to get Chevron deference in certain circumstances (see Barnhart).
Yeah. I'm still kind of confused as to where this falls on the big flowchart of administrative law, but the informal/formal distinction governs whether you apply Mead or Chevron.

Side note: I love how courts think that they can intelligibly differentiate between these ridiculous standards of review. Judges: superhuman because they say they are. I still don't think you can even consistently differentiate between reasonable doubt and preponderance, much less this shit (I realize judges and juries are different, but the point stands)

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:49 pm

How much are agencies going to be engaged in interpreting their organic statutes (as opposed to their regulations) during the course of an adjudication? If they're interpreting and applying their own regulations, it seems like we'd be in Auer/Seminole Rock territory rather than Chevron territory. What am I missing?
Last edited by smittytron3k on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:52 pm

ph14 wrote:

Chevron is for agency interpretations of statutes. It doesn't have to be N&C.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:52 pm

How are you liking it?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:00 pm

kalvano wrote:
How are you liking it?
Only briefly glanced at it, but the organization looks useful. I like to suffer through the text of the cases and try to figure it out together by taking the important quotes to start with. After I'm done I go through and arrange a BLL attack outline and use the best quotes for the rules for it. I'm saving most of the supplement for then. Luckily, my school's library has it so I didn't have to buy that shizz.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:01 pm

kalvano wrote:
ph14 wrote:

N&C?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:02 pm

smittytron3k wrote:How much are agencies going to be engaged in interpreting their organic statutes (as opposed to their regulations) during the course of an adjudication? If they're interpreting and applying their own regulations, it seems like we'd be in Auer/Seminole Rock territory rather than Chevron territory. What am I missing?
Law school exams.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:02 pm

smittytron3k wrote:How much are agencies going to be engaged in interpreting their organic statutes (as opposed to their regulations) during the course of an adjudication? If they're interpreting and applying their own regulations, it seems like we'd be in Auer/Seminole Rock territory rather than Chevron territory. What am I missing?
If they're interpreting regulations, are we in Skidmore territory?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:02 pm

ph14 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
ph14 wrote:

N&C?
Practice your statutory interpretation, this is an easy one to figure out.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:03 pm

ph14 wrote:
If they're interpreting regulations, are we in Skidmore territory?
No, Skidmore is only for "informal" adjudication/rulemaking I believe. Agency regulations can be formal, and thus would be in Chevron territory.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”