Complain about writing your comment/note here Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
IAFG

Platinum

Complain about writing your comment/note here

Post by IAFG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:44 am

Awful.

Always Credited

Gold

Re: Complain about writing your comment/note here

Post by Always Credited » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:53 am

Since I don't care about getting published, I don't care about my note. Minimal effort with maximum resume payoff...nomnomnom

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:54 am

IAFG wrote:Awful.
Hate.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:56 am

Always Credited wrote:Since I don't care about getting published, I don't care about my note. Minimal effort with maximum resume payoff...nomnomnom
I will say though, also this. I always do my shit for deadlines at the last minute, throwing a bunch of B.S. together and throwing it on the paper. Other people must be doing even less (or just writing horribly), because my notes editor hasn't complained, and actually said I'm doing a great job the other day. lolwut? I wrote this 10 page draft thing in like 4 hours, how could it be anything other than shit?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:57 am

romothesavior wrote:
Always Credited wrote:Since I don't care about getting published, I don't care about my note. Minimal effort with maximum resume payoff...nomnomnom
I will say though, also this. I always do my shit for deadlines at the last minute, throwing a bunch of B.S. together and throwing it on the paper. Other people must be doing even less (or just writing horribly), because my notes editor hasn't complained, and actually said I'm doing a great job the other day. lolwut? I wrote this 10 page draft thing in like 4 hours, how could it be anything other than shit?
All of this, exactly the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:57 am

I think it's a clever way to guilt us into trying harder

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:59 am

IAFG wrote:I think it's a clever way to guilt us into trying harder
Holy shit, you might be right. They get us thinking that we're doing a good job despite our lack of effort, and we somehow have a shot at publication, which makes us want to try harder.

Well I'm not falling for their tricks. I'll be procrastinating even more on the next deadline.

Rose Tyler

New

Post by Rose Tyler » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:01 am

hate, hate, hate so freaking much.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:05 am

romothesavior wrote:
IAFG wrote:I think it's a clever way to guilt us into trying harder
Holy shit, you might be right. They get us thinking that we're doing a good job despite our lack of effort, and we somehow have a shot at publication, which makes us want to try harder.

Well I'm not falling for their tricks. I'll be procrastinating even more on the next deadline.
They'll get my entire background section copy/pasted from westlaw cases and they'll like it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:01 am

Decide at the beginning of 2L if you want to get published or not. If yes, put a lot of effort. If not, do the absolute bare minimum required to get the course credit.

Although, despite our collective frustrations the day before the deadline of our topic statement/outline/etc., y'all know that we wouldn't do shit until the day before the final draft was due. The outline deadlines are designed to make us think about our topic rather than for us to produce quality outlines--so by even writing an outline, you've fallen for their ploy!

I wish they offered a greater incentive for getting published. Like additional scholarship or something. I think a lot more people would care about writing quality stuff if getting a student comment published was actually worth a crap (assuming you're not gunning for a clerkship).

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:15 am

fuck you, comment.

fuck. you.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:17 am

Has definitely been the most enjoyable part of being on a journal (edit: second only to reviewing unsolicited articles that get sent to us for publication consideration, which gives me the ability to completely trash a stranger's work), although I'm still on the fence about gunning for publication or not.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:23 am

Helmholtz wrote:Has definitely been the most enjoyable part of being on a journal (edit: second only to reviewing unsolicited articles that get sent to us for publication consideration, which gives me the ability to completely trash a stranger's work), although I'm still on the fence about gunning for publication or not.
fuck. you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:32 am

IAFG wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Has definitely been the most enjoyable part of being on a journal (edit: second only to reviewing unsolicited articles that get sent to us for publication consideration, which gives me the ability to completely trash a stranger's work), although I'm still on the fence about gunning for publication or not.
fuck. you.
but...but......it's fun and interesting?

Although tbf, choosing a topic was perhaps the worst thing that ever happened to me.

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:59 am

romothesavior wrote:
It's probably because your 3L Board member cares even less than you do. Trust me on this.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:31 am

Helmholtz wrote: choosing a topic was perhaps the worst thing that ever happened to me.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:39 am

jawsome wrote:It's probably because your 3L Board member cares even less than you do. Trust me on this.
One of my friends got assigned to a little bit more "intense" board member, and has been told a few times that his work has been "borderline." He even got an email for turning something in 10 minutes after the deadline. Tough luck for him.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:49 am

I finally chose a topic yesterday and we have to have an outline in by Sunday :|.
At least that is all that's required, but I still have zero desire to do it. As much as I like writing, I also hate academic BS. (Don't mind the other parts of journal, though... cite checking, etc. is fine).

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Submitting my proposal tomorrow. Im going to be pissed if it gets rejected.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:51 pm

My note is due in two weeks, have not done shit for it other than an outline that had to be turned in last month. I don't care at all about publication, but my note editor is really nice so I will feel kind of guilty when I turn in whatever piece of shit I manage to squeeze out the night before.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:49 pm

What an excellent thread.

My note (outline stage) is absolute, unmitigated shit, and finding the motivation to do something with it is impossible. I wish I understood the logic behind a compulsory note. It seems like the journals would rather save their articles editors/note editors the trouble and make notes optional. That way, assholes who know they have no hope of publishing their dreck (read: me) could self-select out of the process.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:34 am

keg411 wrote:I finally chose a topic yesterday and we have to have an outline in by Sunday :|.
At least that is all that's required, but I still have zero desire to do it. As much as I like writing, I also hate academic BS. (Don't mind the other parts of journal, though... cite checking, etc. is fine).
How is cite checking fine? It quite possibly the most tedious endeavor of all time, and it adds close to zero value to the world. With few exceptions, no one reads these stupid ass articles. The only reason the citations matter is for future academics to cite them for their own stupid article that no one outside of academia will read.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:42 am

I love cite checking. And eyeballing. Comment writing, otoh, is wretched.
Last edited by IAFG on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:12 am

I think this might be the best victim complex thread I've seen around here. Well done.

lbeezy

Gold

Post by lbeezy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:28 am

C'mon you guys. It's such an excellent chance to be published! :D

I found it more motivating to think about the fact that my classmates would be editing and cite checking it if it was selected for publication, so it needed to not suck. Good luck!
TTH wrote:What an excellent thread.

My note (outline stage) is absolute, unmitigated shit, and finding the motivation to do something with it is impossible. I wish I understood the logic behind a compulsory note. It seems like the journals would rather save their articles editors/note editors the trouble and make notes optional. That way, assholes who know they have no hope of publishing their dreck (read: me) could self-select out of the process.
It's required by some schools for journal membership -- more than just from the journal itself. Also the journal needs notes to publish and it's a significant part of what constitutes 2L membership. Though some degree of it is just that it is what everyone has to do when they're on a journal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”