Is there a citation generator for law school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
quakeroats

Silver

Re: Is there a citation generator for law school?

Post by quakeroats » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:39 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
kaiser wrote:Always keep this in mind: The cases in Westlaw & Lexis are often just word for word of what the judge/clerks wrote. Some judges choose not to follow all Bluebook conventions, some make Bluebooking mistakes, etc. Thus, you can't just rely on the accuracy of the citations, because they often aren't in proper Bluebook format.
The Bluebook is ignored in practice. Most jurisdictions have their own system of citation, but not a single one follows the Bluebook. For a short, interesting take on the Bluebook, read this: --LinkRemoved--
Your comment is misleading at best. The jurisdictions with which I am familiar have a few special rules, but other than that, they follow the Bluebook. Granted, I do not have familiarity with a ton of jdx. But, I have a hard time believing that you do, either.

If you want to advocate Posner's take on citation, go ahead. But making shit up is making shit up. Don't do it.
Oban wrote:In practice all that maters is the Local Rules, and I'm finding that my local courts don't really give a fuck about the blue book, all that maters is that there is something that looks like a normal citation to a case or statute. Thus you will learn something about the bluebook during law school which will serve as a foundation for whatever jurisdiction you end up practicing in.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:39 pm

Are you guys in state superior courts or something?

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:34 pm

quakeroats wrote: It's nearly impossible to leave law school without a basic idea of case and statute citations. That's an hour of learning at most. Correctly and completely apply the Bluebook requires that you read it in full, perhaps more than once. Posner's citation method is 2 pages. Chicago's Maroon book is around 50. The Bluebook is over 500 and growing.

Nobody who really knows the bluebook (LR people, appellate lawyers, clerks, academics) reads it twice. You learn it by consistently/constantly applying the rules until you know them by heart, or know where to find the more obscure stuff.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:08 pm

leobowski wrote:
quakeroats wrote: It's nearly impossible to leave law school without a basic idea of case and statute citations. That's an hour of learning at most. Correctly and completely apply the Bluebook requires that you read it in full, perhaps more than once. Posner's citation method is 2 pages. Chicago's Maroon book is around 50. The Bluebook is over 500 and growing.

Nobody who really knows the bluebook (LR people, appellate lawyers, clerks, academics) reads it twice. You learn it by consistently/constantly applying the rules until you know them by heart, or know where to find the more obscure stuff.
Volokh recommends reading it a couple of times.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:10 pm

The only problem I have with the Bluebook is that the examples and organization absolutely sucks ass. They give the simplest of the simplest examples and there is usually only 1-3. The people who make it have obviously never used it to cite check some asshole's law review paper where he decided to do every cite wrong or omit pincites etc....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legaleasecite

New

Post by legaleasecite » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:00 pm

There is now! Introducing, LegalEase—the Bluebook citation generator.

Hi everyone,

I’m a former law student who thought there should be a Bluebook citation generator, so I got a team together and built one: https://www.legaleasecite.com/bluebook- ... -generator

Here’s how it works: You enter in a few key pieces of information on your source, and LegalEase returns perfect Bluebook citations in every style and format. It’s that easy.

Cases, statutes (for codes), and constitutions are currently available, and the other sections are on their way.

Feel free to comment or message me with any suggestions you have. We really appreciate the feedback.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”