1L Exam Questions and Links Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Shema

New

Re: 1L Exam Questions and Links

Post by Shema » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:28 pm

jackattack17 wrote:Anyone have any advice on how to tackle a CrimLaw Policy Question?

Some background: we spent a significant amount of classtime discussing our thoughts on the law. I had difficulty with this, seeing as how we're all in our first semester of law school and basically talking out of our asses. So, I didn't really take notes on these discussions and only half listened, figuring that "what so-and-so thinks about self-defense" would not be on the exam. Turns out, prof said there might be a policy question for our exam.

In two of the five past exams he provided us, he asked a sort of policy question. The first gave a long fact pattern on returning female vets of the Iraq war committing more DV and anti-muslim crimes, and asked about things like the role of extreme emotional distress in defining crimes and whether the law should be gender-neutral. (note: prof admitted that this question, from the first exam he ever wrote, was a trainwreck haha) The second did not give a fact pattern, just basically said to advise the judiciary committee of your legislature on reforms to defining sexual offenses and sentencing.

So, how would one go about answering one of these, while maintaining some sort of structure and not just spouting BS for an hour? The only thing I can really think of right now is just talking a lot about theories of punishment (utilitarianism/retributivism), which a lot of our class discussions focused on directly or indirectly.

Most policy questions on a crim law exam will focus on a crime that the legislature will want to turn into a strict liability crime. This means that the legislature is attempting to eliminate the mens era element so that it would be easier for the state to prosecute offenders. This is why policy questions tend to center around rape and drunk driving. They are usually a response to citizens wanting to see tougher laws on violators. You should design a pre write for this type of question because it is highly tested. You can also see how that this type of policy question is rip for a thorough analysis of the theories of punishment. Using various and competing theories of punishment you can support arguments for why the crime should be strict liability (deterrence/retribution) and on the other hand why the crime should not be subject to strict liability (rehabilitation and etc.)

I would highly recommend that you use Levenson's Road Map to help you write a pre write for the policy question. If you would like a PDF of the text (for educational purposes) just shoot me a PM and I'll send it your way.

Lawthirst

New

Post by Lawthirst » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Anyone have any info on Professor Mark Lee for Crim Law at University of San Diego? ...Long shot as he has no old tests posted to the library catalog.

sup_stan

New

Post by sup_stan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:53 pm

If anyone has old exams for Contracts with Elizabeth Emens at Columbia, please pm me. Thanks so much!

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:42 am

I put together a collection of exams, including post-1L ones, here- http://lawbooklist.com/practice-exams-law-school.php

I got many of them from this thread, but I added a lot too. I tried to pick ones that aren't super old and not to include more than one or two per professor. When they had model answers, I included links to those too.

If you have others that I should add, that would be great if you could point me to them so I can add them. I am especially looking for ones that either you think are particularly good or that are from courses that I'm light on (e.g., antitrust, tax, employment law and international law). Or for courses that I don't have up there at all. Or if you have a non-password protected archive that I haven't tapped yet, that would be excellent.

Thanks!

mmarion44

New

Post by mmarion44 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Not free, but Tieroneexamprep.com has a huge bank of tests/questions if you sign up for their service, which as far as I can tell, isn't half bad (haven't done it myself, but know some people who have)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

p1n3app13

New

Post by p1n3app13 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:43 am

Where can I get model answers for property?

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:41 am

p1n3app13 wrote:Where can I get model answers for property?
I included 8 property tests with model answers in the list I put together here- http://lawbooklist.com/practice-exams-law-school.php

joran

New

Post by joran » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Does anyone have any of professor David Cruz's (USC) past Con Law exams or advice for his exam. He is a visiting professor at UCLA this semester so no one at UCLA has had him before.

Bilb0Baggins

New

Post by Bilb0Baggins » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:40 pm

[Deleted]
Last edited by Bilb0Baggins on Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:35 am

Bilb0Baggins wrote:Hi all -- Temple 1L here; our library doesn't carry old exams until mid-October (despite the advice I've read to consult them from day 1)

What would you recommend I do in this situation? (Also if anyone has any old Temple exams, particularly for Monroe Harvey or Natali I'd be eternally grateful)

Thank you!!
That is pretty standard. Many professors never share their past exams at all. I'd suggest that you start with study aids rather than exams. Especially "Getting to Maybe". You can find a bunch of study aids that posters here put together for 1L's here: http://lawbooklist.com/1L-books-to-get- ... school.php

As for exams, I don't think it matters if they're from your particular professor at this early stage in the process. There definitely are subtle, but important, differences between how individual professors test, but in the first weeks of your 1L year, those differences are at a much finer level than you're operating on at all yet. Like if optimizing your exam responses for your particular professor is the equivalent of putting a spin on the cue ball to do a trick shot in pool, where you're at at the start of first semester 1L year is you're trying to figure out which thing is the stick and which is the ball. If you want to read an actual exam just to see what you've gotten yourself into, you can just look at one from any professor for now, but I wouldn't focus on that. You can find a bunch on this thread or here: http://lawbooklist.com/practice-exams-law-school.php

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Since the OP stated that this thread was also intended to share online study aids I thought I might share a new civ pro online study aid website I recently came across and that would have been helpful to me when I was a 1L. Might be worth checking out if you are looking for a clear and concise explanation of civ pro topics.

https://www.mylawacademy.com

ned.snow

New

Post by ned.snow » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:01 pm

Free app on iTunes called Property Law Made Simple. Lots of multiple-choice questions with explanations. Lots of examples. Here is the link:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id972724718

ned.snow

New

Post by ned.snow » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:03 pm

p1n3app13 wrote:Where can I get model answers for property?
Free property app -- lots of multiple choice questions with answers and explanations:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id972724718

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:34 pm

Why do so many schools password protect their old exams now?

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:34 am

Anyone here go to University of Arizona? Looking for practice exams from a Tort professor, but since I'm not a student there I don't have access to the library's exam archives

a22747568

New

Post by a22747568 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:15 am

I would like to ask how can i do and structure my answers, the topic of this question is about contract law.
I am looking for some guidelines but not a full answer.
It's highly appreciated if u guys could help me a bit . :)

Question:
Tom and Peter are friends. On 11 May 2013, Peter wrote an email to Tom, “I heard that you are selling your car for $9000. I am interested in buying it, let me know if it is still available.” On 12 May 2013, Tom called Peter and left a voicemail for him - “Sure, provided you transfer the money to my bank account”. Tom then changed his mind and he posted a letter to Peter which read, “I am sorry, but I changed my mind and I can’t sell the car to you”. This letter arrived on 13 May 2013, before Peter checked his voicemail.

Answer the following questions:

1) Advise Tom and Peter as to their rights and obligations.

2) What difference, if any, would it make if:

a) Tom’s letter had never arrived?

b) Due to a problem with the mobile network on Peter’s phone, the voicemail left by Tom on 12 May 2013 was not recorded and Peter had no knowledge of the voicemail.

c) Instead of Peter sending an e-mail to Tom on 11 May 2013, on 10 May 2013, Tom had asked Peter if he wanted to buy his car?

wordsmith23

New

Post by wordsmith23 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:27 pm

Mod edit: spam

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”