TLS Collected Wisdom on Success in Law School Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ph5354a

Gold

Re: TLS Collected Wisdom on Success in Law School

Post by ph5354a » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Everyone says not to do any 0L prep. Does that include not reading each and every one of these posts?

Tagged.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:49 pm

Tagging like I've never tagged a threat before. Thanks for all the info!

sf_39

New

Post by sf_39 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Great collection of info.

Obviously each guide has it's own flair, but at least from reading most of them and the NYU article on the TLS main page, there seems to be a lot of common elements in a lot of these.

EX: aim for the exam, don't crazy note take/read the casebook, get inside your prof's head, outline early, take practice exams etc.

rambleon65

Bronze

Post by rambleon65 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:09 pm

Sweet stuff

szb5058

New

Post by szb5058 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:48 am

YES!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:41 pm

sf_39 wrote:Great collection of info.

Obviously each guide has it's own flair, but at least from reading most of them and the NYU article on the TLS main page, there seems to be a lot of common elements in a lot of these.

EX: aim for the exam, don't crazy note take/read the casebook, get inside your prof's head, outline early, take practice exams etc.

Seems to be what I'm getting from most of them, and based on the past exams I'm seeing, it makes sense.
Last edited by Easy-E on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

DPW_Yes

New

Post by DPW_Yes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Wow. So much information. Not sure if all of it will be useful.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Can't wait to read these.

AthenaKT

New

Post by AthenaKT » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:06 am

Tagged. This is great. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

softey

New

Post by softey » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:17 pm

1) Get old outlines.
2) Get secondary sources.
3) Compare relevant black letter law, using old outlines and syllabus as guideposts. Reduce all rules to elements. (If your teacher has slides, use those too. But still reduce.)
4) Organize rules in rule, subrule, subsubrule, etc., hierarchy.
5) Jot down the essential facts from cases discussed in class next to rules. I put in parenthesis. Get these essential facts from old outlines and online. No more than a few words.
6) Reduce, reduce, reduce. Make a system of abbreviations; reduce margins; reduce font; remove excess words; etc. The key is to go over this thing many times and reduce to bare bones.
7) Practice writing out the rule statements over and over (and over). Also practice using analogies from the case jots. In other words, understand the rules through the essential facts.

That's all you need, I promise. Do not start this process earlier than 1.5 months before exams. If you like going to class, just go to listen. DO NOT feel stressed to take notes. You don't need to know everything. You need to rack up points my mastering application of basic rules.

If you want all this in one phrase: REDUCE TO ELEMENTS.

Good luck.

doctoroflaw91

Bronze

Post by doctoroflaw91 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:21 am

I've only just finished my first semester of law school, but I've found a couple of things that worked well for me:
1) Avoid advice from other 1Ls. Seriously. The first month or so of law school, I allowed my fellow 1Ls to dictate my study habits, and it stressed me out to no end. Talking to 2Ls and 3Ls that are genuine and helpful is far more useful and reassuring than talking to other 1Ls that are just as lost as you are.

2) Have a routine and stick to it. Lots of people give up all of their hobbies unrelated to law school when the rubber hits the road with studying. I found that having a routine that included exercise (yoga and gym time) and another hobby (for me, singing) was important. Exercising required waking up a little earlier (about 45 minutes or so), but it was well worth it for maintaining my physique and my stress levels.

3) Exams are crazy, but not that crazy I think the scariest part of my first semester was the anticipation of final exams. The reality? Exam- studying is hard work, but if you do your readings and pay attention during the semester, the pre-exam period is simply about reviewing what you already know. I found that working an occasional practice test throughout the semester was helpful as well, because as I studied, I already knew which issues to pay attention to. Ask your law school's library as to whether your professors have old exams on file at the beginning of the semester, so that you have some idea about what your professors are looking for. As for exam studying, have a schedule and stick to it. I made sure not to neglect sleep, good nutrition, and exercise during exam period, and I had more than enough time to prepare.

4) Talk to your professors. I realize that there are mixed opinions on office hours, etc. but I found them to be very helpful. I had some professors that would "hide the ball" more than others, and often would reveal more insights in office hours rather than in class. Plus, if you plan on asking a prof for a letter of recommendation at some point, it's important that you distinguish yourself from others from the onset.

5) Get ahold of old outlines early Some people seemed to have an idea of how to outline without help, and some didn't. Having another student's old outline will help your figure out which concepts your professor tends to focus on.

Mr. Carter

New

Post by Mr. Carter » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:20 am

This thread inspired me to post a guide to law school success on a separate thread. I know there are a bunch of these out there, but I hope mine helps contribute to the collective wisdom on TLS.

It can be found here:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=222099

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:33 am

Thanks so much

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr. Carter

New

Post by Mr. Carter » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks for adding my guide Scribe!

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:58 pm

Tag.. And thanks!

BLUERUFiO

Bronze

Post by BLUERUFiO » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:35 pm

Tagged. Heads up, reddit has an outline bank that you can be a part of: http://www.reddit.com/r/lawschool

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:53 pm

The key is f the hyperfocus on dissents and the law, and focus on taking tests. Focusing on the facts they use always gets more points than some archaic common law rule nobody has used since 1900.

The one who writes a good exam, but misapplies a few laws or forgets some elements here and there always does much better than the person who word vomits laws.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:59 pm

doctoroflaw91 wrote:I've only just finished my first semester of law school, but I've found a couple of things that worked well for me:
1) Avoid advice from other 1Ls. Seriously. The first month or so of law school, I allowed my fellow 1Ls to dictate my study habits, and it stressed me out to no end. Talking to 2Ls and 3Ls that are genuine and helpful is far more useful and reassuring than talking to other 1Ls that are just as lost as you are.

2) Have a routine and stick to it. Lots of people give up all of their hobbies unrelated to law school when the rubber hits the road with studying. I found that having a routine that included exercise (yoga and gym time) and another hobby (for me, singing) was important. Exercising required waking up a little earlier (about 45 minutes or so), but it was well worth it for maintaining my physique and my stress levels.

3) Exams are crazy, but not that crazy I think the scariest part of my first semester was the anticipation of final exams. The reality? Exam- studying is hard work, but if you do your readings and pay attention during the semester, the pre-exam period is simply about reviewing what you already know. I found that working an occasional practice test throughout the semester was helpful as well, because as I studied, I already knew which issues to pay attention to. Ask your law school's library as to whether your professors have old exams on file at the beginning of the semester, so that you have some idea about what your professors are looking for. As for exam studying, have a schedule and stick to it. I made sure not to neglect sleep, good nutrition, and exercise during exam period, and I had more than enough time to prepare.

4) Talk to your professors. I realize that there are mixed opinions on office hours, etc. but I found them to be very helpful. I had some professors that would "hide the ball" more than others, and often would reveal more insights in office hours rather than in class. Plus, if you plan on asking a prof for a letter of recommendation at some point, it's important that you distinguish yourself from others from the onset.

5) Get ahold of old outlines early Some people seemed to have an idea of how to outline without help, and some didn't. Having another student's old outline will help your figure out which concepts your professor tends to focus on.
IDK. Some 1L's will have much better advice than some 2L's and 3L's. The strategies don't really change except that people lose the work ethic. I don't know how your grades panned out, but hearing multiple perspectives on things generally leads to a better end result than ignoring other perspectives unless the other perspectives are panicky.

And yeah, one key is to be outlining from day one. This is part of why briefs are useless if you can understand the cases without breaking them down. All that really matters is the issue and the rule, and maybe 1 key fact. You should always be outlining, and shortening stuff down when you realize you either remember it or can't use it on a test. All that matters is the test. You're not going to be doing anything with practical use with anything you read.

Old outlines are generally useless if they're not from your professor. Your time would be better served just using Emmanuel and making an outline from that than some one size fits all outline that was written for TTTT students as well.

PennLaw16

New

Post by PennLaw16 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Just finished my first semester and want to give a thumbs up to Lazy's guide. I didn't actually read it until about 20 minutes ago (to see if anyone else had said what I was going to say), but it's on the money.

I got pretty freaked out 1L fall because I thought lots of my classmates were working much harder than I was (which they were) and consulting a ton of supplements (which they were). At one point, I genuinely believed I didn't belong in law school. I was afraid I just didn't have the work ethic to succeed next to some of these people who were living in the library for 8 hours a day, months before exams.

I did every page of assigned reading and attended just about every class (missed like 3 total). I paid close attention in class, which is severely underrated on TLS for some reason. I used other people's outlines, didn't start studying until Thanksgiving, and didn't start taking practice exams until reading period. Never went to office hours, never raised my hand in class, no study group. Outside of doing the reading, I didn't do any studying during the semester (until Thanksgiving). I put a premium on just making sure that I fully understood everything my professors discussed in class. I didn't use a single supplement and honestly couldn't even name one. I've heard the name Glennon, but I don't know what class it's for or even what it really is. As far as learning how to take an exam, I just tried to model my answer style after the past sample answers. Each class had a few, so I chose the one that was most natural for me.

Pretty sure I'm #1 in my section. If not, I'm by default tied for #2. I guess everyone learns differently, but I think some people make success in law school much too complicated. When people talk about the tricks of law school, they usually say that everyone understands the law, but taking the exam and separating yourself is the hard part. That hasn't been my experience. My experience is that a lot of people flat-out don't understand the things that were taught, and/or don't know how/when to apply them. IMO the vast majority of people at my school -- and probably most T14s -- would be better off ditching the supplements and rigorous study habits and focusing their attention on assigned readings and class notes.

nutellabunny

New

Post by nutellabunny » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:50 pm

Thank you!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:48 pm

PennLaw16 wrote:Just finished my first semester and want to give a thumbs up to Lazy's guide. I didn't actually read it until about 20 minutes ago (to see if anyone else had said what I was going to say), but it's on the money.

I got pretty freaked out 1L fall because I thought lots of my classmates were working much harder than I was (which they were) and consulting a ton of supplements (which they were). At one point, I genuinely believed I didn't belong in law school. I was afraid I just didn't have the work ethic to succeed next to some of these people who were living in the library for 8 hours a day, months before exams.

I did every page of assigned reading and attended just about every class (missed like 3 total). I paid close attention in class, which is severely underrated on TLS for some reason. I used other people's outlines, didn't start studying until Thanksgiving, and didn't start taking practice exams until reading period. Never went to office hours, never raised my hand in class, no study group. Outside of doing the reading, I didn't do any studying during the semester (until Thanksgiving). I put a premium on just making sure that I fully understood everything my professors discussed in class. I didn't use a single supplement and honestly couldn't even name one. I've heard the name Glennon, but I don't know what class it's for or even what it really is. As far as learning how to take an exam, I just tried to model my answer style after the past sample answers. Each class had a few, so I chose the one that was most natural for me.

Pretty sure I'm #1 in my section. If not, I'm by default tied for #2. I guess everyone learns differently, but I think some people make success in law school much too complicated. When people talk about the tricks of law school, they usually say that everyone understands the law, but taking the exam and separating yourself is the hard part. That hasn't been my experience. My experience is that a lot of people flat-out don't understand the things that were taught, and/or don't know how/when to apply them. IMO the vast majority of people at my school -- and probably most T14s -- would be better off ditching the supplements and rigorous study habits and focusing their attention on assigned readings and class notes.
While this is a bit braggy, Agree with the no need for 8 hour library crams months bfore exams.

Just want to point out, this works for some classes and not others. I did have a study group, but I didnt use supplements first semester and created my own outlines off class & casebook notes, paid a lot of attention to professor style. Paid off in two classes. Did not in the other: professor gave an exam that did not resemble class material whatsoever, and my keen insight into this profs ways of thinking and cold-call logic were far less valuable than a solid supplement. Overall, still a good result, but profs have no obligation to test what they teach so this is far from foolproof.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

racejudicata15

New

Post by racejudicata15 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:02 pm

tooting my own horn here, but I realized that by posting in the "ask a law student" thread, I ended up attracting a lot of 0Ls. Though I am very happy to help them, I am also willing to answer questions from rising 2Ls. Here's my thread ("Top 5 Student at T14 Taking Questions") in case you are interested:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=231753

The thread basically addresses the same sort of issues as in this thread.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:48 pm

FWIW, I listed all the helpful law school resources in my blog. Everything from past exam links to flash card programs.

http://www.thecadillaclawyer.com/?page_id=65

SowhatsNU

Bronze

Post by SowhatsNU » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:00 pm

Thanks!!

I'm starting in two weeks and I'm sure all this advice will be indispensable!

dd235

Bronze

Post by dd235 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:08 pm

Tagging this as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”