Words per Minute Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Bankhead

Silver

Re: Words per Minute

Post by Bankhead » Wed May 19, 2010 11:47 pm

"Holistic" sounds a bit too much like "subjective" which sounds a little too much like "eyeballing it".

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Wed May 19, 2010 11:59 pm

Typing is actually one thing I'm actually really good at. I typed 93wpm on that test, and I really struggled. I think I could easily break 110-120 if I was typing my own thoughts.

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:55 am

92 wpm @ 100% accuracy.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu May 20, 2010 2:00 am

Jarndyce wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:This seems to be a decent one: http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php

65wpm for me.
According to this site, 78 wpm.
91 WPM but with a few mistakes. My fingers are faster than my mind so I doubt I could ever sustain that on an actual exam.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Thu May 20, 2010 2:31 am

110 w/ 4 mistakes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sixburgher

New

Post by sixburgher » Thu May 20, 2010 2:35 am

Some of the referenced sites look like good practice. I'm in the low 60's at typeracer

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Thu May 20, 2010 2:35 am

DoubleChecks wrote:using that co.uk site, i had 119 wpm w/ 3 mistakes...though 2 were me not capitalizing the i...lol

0 mistakes i was 113

my roommate is pretty insane; he averages above 145 and hits 165+ occasionally...he looks as if he's just slamming multiple keys at the same time on the keyboard, yet they spell words haha
Damn, beaten :(

Comp-sci major, I presume? :P

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Thu May 20, 2010 2:43 am

Does anyone else not know how to type? I was just thinking about this recently, and wondering if I should take a class to (finally) learn how to type properly before law school in 2011. I've always used hunt and peck and gotten pretty fast at it relatively speaking, but very inefficient I'm sure. Makes me mad because I took a typing class in ninth grade and totally blew it off thinking I was cool or something :lol: I passed with a C probably but never learned. If only I knew how much time I would save over my life if I hadn't done that. That was in 95 right before the internet got big.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu May 20, 2010 2:51 am

BigA wrote:Does anyone else not know how to type? I was just thinking about this recently, and wondering if I should take a class to (finally) learn how to type properly before law school in 2011. I've always used hunt and peck and gotten pretty fast at it relatively speaking, but very inefficient I'm sure. Makes me mad because I took a typing class in ninth grade and totally blew it off thinking I was cool or something :lol: I passed with a C probably but never learned. If only I knew how much time I would save over my life if I hadn't done that. That was in 95 right before the internet got big.
The ability to type quickly and accurately will be a great benefit to you not only in law school but also in your long legal career. If you're relegated to hunting and pecking now, then it's so worth the effort to learn efficient typing techniques. There should be some training software online, in case you don't have the time to attend a regular class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Thu May 20, 2010 3:08 pm

the world records:

--LinkRemoved--

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Thu May 20, 2010 4:50 pm

I CALI'd :lol: my ninth grade typing class, and I've been a strong typist ever since. I attribute my success to playing a lot of videogames as a child; the buttons on the controller serving as a sort of training for the keyboard.

bmontminy

Bronze

Post by bmontminy » Thu May 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Bankhead wrote:I CALI'd :lol: my ninth grade typing class, and I've been a strong typist ever since. I attribute my success to playing a lot of videogames as a child; the buttons on the controller serving as a sort of training for the keyboard.
Diablo II taught me how to type.

hth

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Thu May 20, 2010 9:45 pm

bmontminy wrote:
Bankhead wrote:I CALI'd :lol: my ninth grade typing class, and I've been a strong typist ever since. I attribute my success to playing a lot of videogames as a child; the buttons on the controller serving as a sort of training for the keyboard.

hth
Not really sure how that helps me but congrats.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Thu May 20, 2010 9:50 pm

91 WPM with 98.3% accuracy on Typeracer. Can probably get over 100 if I try a few times!!!

honestabe84

Bronze

Post by honestabe84 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:54 pm

What is considered below average, average, and above average typing speed?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu May 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Bankhead wrote:
bmontminy wrote:

hth
Not really sure how that helps me but congrats.
lol it'll help you if you play pc video games (like a man :P) instead. you'd have to learn to type faster, or else suffer the consequences! (i.e. getting killed while typing)

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Thu May 20, 2010 9:56 pm

honestabe84 wrote:What is considered below average, average, and above average typing speed?
I would say anything below 50 is hurting. 50-80 is average. 80+ is above average. 100+ is a very adept typist who will do great things in this day and age.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Vegas_Rebel

Bronze

Post by Vegas_Rebel » Thu May 20, 2010 9:57 pm

BigA wrote:Does anyone else not know how to type? I was just thinking about this recently, and wondering if I should take a class to (finally) learn how to type properly before law school in 2011. I've always used hunt and peck and gotten pretty fast at it relatively speaking, but very inefficient I'm sure. Makes me mad because I took a typing class in ninth grade and totally blew it off thinking I was cool or something :lol: I passed with a C probably but never learned. If only I knew how much time I would save over my life if I hadn't done that. That was in 95 right before the internet got big.
Sort of.

I've typed for so long that I -know- where the keys are, and I don't really have to search around to find them. On the other hand, I still look at the keys until I get into some kind of zone, and then I start fumbling all over my keyboard the second I recognize that I'm not really looking at the keys.

Using a program like typemonkey, I get a score of about 45 WPM.

OTOH, if I'm just typing from my head and not copying words from someone else (or if I'm taking dictation) I can usually about double that.

I did the same thing in my middle school typing class, and never got out of the habit of looking at the keys. At this point, I don't see too much reason to change.

Cell phone keypads on the other hand, even if they're laid out in the usual qwerty format ... FML.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu May 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Bankhead wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:What is considered below average, average, and above average typing speed?
I would say anything below 50 is hurting. 50-80 is average. 80+ is above average. 100+ is a very adept typist who will do great things in this day and age.
lmao like at what job?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Thu May 20, 2010 9:58 pm

If you have to look at the keys that's really, really bad.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu May 20, 2010 9:59 pm

Bankhead wrote:If you have to look at the keys that's really, really bad.
?!there are KEYS?!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Thu May 20, 2010 9:59 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Bankhead wrote:
lmao like at what job?
BIG-COURTROOM-REPORTER-LAW

Vegas_Rebel

Bronze

Post by Vegas_Rebel » Thu May 20, 2010 10:00 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:lol it'll help you if you play pc video games (like a man :P) instead. you'd have to learn to type faster, or else suffer the consequences! (i.e. getting killed while typing)
Who types while PC gaming? Vent/Teamspeak/Xfire FTW!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu May 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:lol it'll help you if you play pc video games (like a man :P) instead. you'd have to learn to type faster, or else suffer the consequences! (i.e. getting killed while typing)
Who types while PC gaming? Vent/Teamspeak/Xfire FTW!
lol sry, i grew up playing games during the yrs where vent/TS werent really around yet...hell, ppl still even had 56k

thinking about this some more, im sure you all grew up in the same age as i did :P, but i guess i just started online gaming earlier haha...it really helped me get above the 110 wpm mark (over time)

jp0094

Bronze

Post by jp0094 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:09 pm

I played Everquest on 56k

NERD SECURE

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”