Any GULC 2Ls here? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chitown825

Bronze

Any GULC 2Ls here?

Post by chitown825 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:38 pm

I have some questions for GULC 2Ls and 3Ls. Let me know if you're out there.

nealric

Re: Any GULC 2Ls here?

Post by nealric » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:05 pm

I'm a GULC 3L. What do you want to know?

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Looking for some realistic input on career prospects. I'm a 1L with top grades at a 2nd tier school, applying to transfer to GTown and get the heck out of here.

1. What percentage of the class is necessary for biglaw at GTown? (DC or Chicago is what I want)
2. What are your opinions on the career center, and the portability/desirability of your degree?
2. Should I expect a stigma from employers and fellow students as a transfer, as if I don't deserve to be there?

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:37 pm

1. What percentage of the class is necessary for biglaw at GTown? (DC or Chicago is what I want)
2. What are your opinions on the career center, and the portability/desirability of your degree?
2. Should I expect a stigma from employers and fellow students as a transfer, as if I don't deserve to be there?
1. It's so hard to give an answer with the crazy economy going on right now. In 2006, I would say you were pretty much golden. 2Ls/3Ls told me my 1L year that "everyone gets a job from OCI". In my year, finishing at the Median was usually good enough to at least get one biglaw offer. I know a few who were definitely sub-median and got offers. Just about the entire editorial board on my secondary journal is headed to biglaw. A good percentage (perhaps 30%) of those who got SA offers my year were no-offered. My limited contact with current 2Ls indicates that it was a bit of a bloodbath this year. At least a couple people in the top 1/3 got shut out- but generally the top 1/3 was good to go, and a few people outside the top 1/3 did ok. Next year will probably be better, but that of course is based on conjectures about the economy.

2. The main career center is very biglaw oriented. They were more or less helpful in figuring out 2L OCI bidding. They will give you GPA ranges where firms have hired in the past, although you pretty much need to ad .2 to whatever they tell you GPA wise. I think my degree is very portable. I got callbacks in multiple parts of the country after 2L year, and I think the degree was well respected. One advantage of the large class size is that almost every major biglaw office in the country has at least a few GULC grads. There is also a public interest career center, but I don't have much experience with it.

3. I haven't heard of any stigma per-se. I suppose one disadvantage is that you don't have a GULC class rank. One of the incoming associates to my firm transferred into GULC from a T4. He was pretty sure he wouldn't have gotten a second look by the firm if he had stayed, and felt like the others in the top of the class who stayed at the T4 had much worse luck with getting biglaw offers. My guess is that the stronger your record at the school you transferred from the better off you will be. It's worth noting that they do have journal slots reserved for transfers.

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:46 pm

I really appreciate your help. Thanks for the detailed answers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:37 pm

I appreciated those answers too. Thanks.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:42 pm

chitown825 wrote:I really appreciate your help. Thanks for the detailed answers.

DePaul, by chance?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”