The Sacred Rules of Gunning. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jmaan

Bronze

Re: The Sacred Rules of Gunning.

Post by jmaan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:15 pm

i think everyones just teasing cause you messed up on a word. Dont worry about it, the advice sounds useful and thanks for the contribution. Also if you had a mac it wouldnt let you use the word accell.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:16 pm

Hai guyz. Follow the link. It's this thread but with LULZ.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1#p2457121

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:23 pm

predetermined wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:Poeple ar bieng unfiar hear. I axle at maney thengs ass wel butt thet deosn't neseccarily meen I spel evreything write.
Honestly, petty shit is petty shit no matter how lame the OP may be. He doesn't deserve quite this amount of ridicule.
You're right: --ImageRemoved--

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:27 pm

predetermined wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:Poeple ar bieng unfiar hear. I axle at maney thengs ass wel butt thet deosn't neseccarily meen I spel evreything write.
Honestly, petty shit is petty shit no matter how lame the OP may be. He doesn't deserve quite this amount of ridicule.
Oh yes he does. If you're going to write a post on how awesome you are and basically write a TLS novel on how people can be as awesome as you and completely misspell a word in the first couple of sentences, its on.

Also, doesn't it seem like this guy is a total flame, trying to incite a TLS frenzy... which would explain the overly condescending tone and his belief that there is an "a" in "excel."

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:28 pm

The OP has to be some sort of elaborate flame. I refuse to believe that this is serious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:35 pm

Oh, it's definitely a flame. Check the post count for OP and then realize suspension of disbelief is impossible for that post :roll: No one's that dumb... right?

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:39 pm

I actually never got called on pretty much all semester because I was always asking really good questions. I think that's a lot better than being the douche who raises his hand every time an incredibly obvious question is asked, because he thinks it makes him look smart. And, by constantly talking, you lower the chance of getting called on and not knowing what you're talking about.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:51 pm

traydeuce wrote:I actually never got called on pretty much all semester because I was always asking really good questions. I think that's a lot better than being the douche who raises his hand every time an incredibly obvious question is asked, because he thinks it makes him look smart. And, by constantly talking, you lower the chance of getting called on and not knowing what you're talking about.
This was me.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:00 am

jayzon wrote:
rayiner wrote:
traydeuce wrote:I actually never got called on pretty much all semester because I was always asking really good questions. I think that's a lot better than being the douche who raises his hand every time an incredibly obvious question is asked, because he thinks it makes him look smart. And, by constantly talking, you lower the chance of getting called on and not knowing what you're talking about.
This was me.
Were y'all happy with your respective grades?
I don't think there is any correlation between grades and gunning. I know quiet people who got good grades, and I know some loud people who got good grades.

That said, I don't think anyone in our section was a typical douchey gunner, but then again who knows I may be it. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GummiBear

New

Post by GummiBear » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:06 am

jayzon wrote:
rayiner wrote:
This was me.
These rules I provided assume that you are in a class worth gunning in.

If you honestly have a professor that does nothing but asks you what happens when you add 2 + 2, chances are he is not a professor worth gunning for because such questions don't give you an opportunity to showcase deep understanding of the class. Thus, highly unlikely you will get a bump.

When my professor throws out a softball, usually a ****storm of questions will ensue that get harder and harder.

These rules were meant for professors who do give out bumps, (I actually have some professors who say they don't, and I don't make a peep in those) and these rules were meant for professors who will actually ask you questions that require some analytical ability beyond simply what color the sky is.

Do you go to cooley law school or something?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:10 am

GummiBear wrote:Do you go to Cooley Law School or something?
lol, this just keeps getting better and better

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:10 am

UFMatt wrote:The OP has to be some sort of elaborate flame. I refuse to believe that this is serious.
GunniBear's profile wrote:TLS Box: I'm the smartest person to ever exist ever. I applied to Harvard and Yale Law School as safeties. When I told them no after being accepting into the Super Secret Elite Law School... (So secret, I'm not legally allowed to disclose where it is. You can only get in by invite.) the deans of the "respective" schools tried offering me whatever I wanted but I stood strong and told them to bite me.

I know everything ever that could possibly be known and after law school will be so successful that they will be naming law schools after me for centuries to come.
Attending: Super Secret Elite Law School
Last edited by angioletto on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:14 am

GummiBear wrote:
jayzon wrote:
rayiner wrote:
This was me.
These rules I provided assume that you are in a class worth gunning in.

If you honestly have a professor that does nothing but asks you what happens when you add 2 + 2, chances are he is not a professor worth gunning for because such questions don't give you an opportunity to showcase deep understanding of the class. Thus, highly unlikely you will get a bump.

When my professor throws out a softball, usually a ****storm of questions will ensue that get harder and harder.

These rules were meant for professors who do give out bumps, (I actually have some professors who say they don't, and I don't make a peep in those) and these rules were meant for professors who will actually ask you questions that require some analytical ability beyond simply what color the sky is.

Do you go to Cooley Law School or something?
120. Not only a troll, but an incompetent one at that. 0 points for unoriginal Cooley reference tacked onto a tl;dnr post.

Edit: OK, I missed the profile. Partial credit for absurdity, maybe our troll is better when given more time to prepare and simply has trouble when trying to continue the ruse.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:24 am

That profile wasn't there yesterday, I don't think.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:31 am

interesting read. I actually liked this. It puts the perspective of "gunners" in LS.
Again a gunner=always a gunner. Hated by most.

OP your post was helpful. But gunners are generally hated on TLS

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:36 am

tag

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:39 pm

rayiner wrote:
jayzon wrote:
rayiner wrote:
This was me.
I don't think there is any correlation between grades and gunning. I know quiet people who got good grades, and I know some loud people who got good grades.

That said, I don't think anyone in our section was a typical douchey gunner, but then again who knows I may be it. :lol:
Oh come on. You know who the gunner was. Now I wouldn't say he was a douche but... definitely a gunner.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sperry

Bronze

Post by sperry » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:04 pm

--ImageRemoved--

rupert.pupkin

New

Post by rupert.pupkin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:12 pm

sperry wrote:--ImageRemoved--

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:34 pm

jayzon wrote:
rayiner wrote:
This was me.
I got a 4.0 at W&L without even really studying. Can't complain. Seriously though, while sometimes I did think I was missing out on getting called on because being called on would have forced me to think the cases over more carefully/pay attention in class, I think asking (good) questions is probably one of the surest signs that you're actually getting the material. Much more so than giving good answers.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:05 pm

lol you guys are giving him a pretty hard time, but im betting half of you didnt read his whole post either

i actually did, and while his rules arent like the ten commandments or anything (wait, bad example, those get broken all the time), some of them provided some good insight

i think a few of his follow-up posts, his profile, are all jokes or him being an e-douche, but his original rules post isnt that bad (yeah i thought accel was hilarious too...esp. given the context)

traydeuce is providing some interesting thoughts as well -- personally, i found both posters informative, or at least they both said things i could learn from for 1L law classes

and i dont know if the OP's rules were "gunning" or not. more like working the system. i thought gunners would do the dumb things as well like give their opinions when unasked for lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gochrisgo

Bronze

Post by gochrisgo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:39 pm

_
Last edited by gochrisgo on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:59 pm

it's so easy to tell the 0Ls from the 1Ls ITT.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:12 pm

What really sets a LS gunner apart from a UG gunner?
In my UG classes, I'd say I ask 1-2 questions in the average hour long period... though strictly when I don't think something was clear or I just dont get it.

Would that make me an LS gunner, or just normal?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:22 pm

You wrote a thread entitled, "The Sacred Rules of Gunning," on TLS and you expected it to receive a warm reception?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”